Honda HR-V Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Not a fan of the dealer I go to for oil changes, but they're quick and fairly cheap.

I'm sure it's BS but is there any truth to their threats that the warranty could be voided if I don't follow recommended maintenance?

I've had to have a serious conversation with them when they wanted to charge $70+ to change the cabin air filter and asked them if they would ask their own mothers the same question, which leads me to believe they're being less than honest.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Maintenance Minder coming on close to 10k miles. Should I be worried?

The last time I changed my oil was at 18,xxx. The light didn't come on until 28,xxx. I've read that under normal conditions, the light usually comes on around 6,500 miles. A lot of my driving is highway, some of it being a little aggressive (rarely going WOT), and some of my other driving is spirited because I'm impatient lol. The oil life had just hit 0% when I changed it FWIW.

Someone recommended that I send my next oil change in for testing and I think that is a good idea. Almost 30,000 miles and only 3 oil changes just doesn't feel right to me. I do use Mobil 1 (did in my last car and my whole family uses it in all of their cars), not that it means the oil can last longer but I just wanted to add that in there.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I have been changing at 15%

So far at 7440 miles and 8504 miles. I am now 6400 miles into the next cycle and probably ready to hit 30% remaining life. I am about 75% highway/25% city.

By letting yours go to 0%, the 10k sounds correct. Hard to beat Mobil 1.

·
Registered
159 Posts
The light came on less than 2 weeks ago. I fill up every 5-6 days, so that's 700 miles at most. I'm close to 29,000 miles. There's no way 15%-0% lasts several thousand miles. If the maintenance minder comes on at around 6,500 for "normal driving conditions", that's 650 miles for every 10%, so stretch that a bit to maybe 9,000 which still seemed concerning at first. I'm probably at 75/25 highway/street as well.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
I don't run the minder because it doesn't take into account time and I believe oil should be changed at least every year. I drive 5000 miles a year, so I can't look at mileage as an indicator of when to change. I change myself at 9-12 months, when its convienent.....

·
Registered
159 Posts
I don't run the minder because it doesn't take into account time and I believe oil should be changed at least every year. I drive 5000 miles a year, so I can't look at mileage as an indicator of when to change. I change myself at 9-12 months, when its convienent.....

That I understand but I drive daily and I drive a lot. I’m averaging 1,600 miles a month right now.

I change mine at 10 percent life, which has been about 11 to 12k miles. Some think I'm crazy, but I'm going by the minder (with full synthetic as well)

Wow and I thought I was pushing it at 9-10,000 haha. I’ve got a few car friends that recommended I send a sample of my oil in for testing next time. I also don’t usually wait until 0% to change it but I was waiting for a nice warm day because I absolutely hate working on my car when it’s cold haha. Summer in October!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
That I understand but I drive daily and I drive a lot. I’m averaging 1,600 miles a month right now.
k
Understood. I still think you're fine. The new synthetic oil's CAN go up to 15,000 miles and still not really cause any problems for the engine if used regularly. . Enthusiast don't like to do it , but the oil lasts. One of the reason synthetics were born was because engine manufacturers wanted longer interval times for better maintenance PR. And they succeeded. I've never read a blackstone oil analysis report on the web or in person, on a recent/new car (<50k miles) I've done two of them, that didnt say You could go a lot longer on the oil than 7000 -8000 -9000 .....many reports mention 15,000.

I think the oil minder is really a good thing to have, they certainly not made for enthusiasts but they actually do work-the algorithms that are written take in the account many parameters and how your drive. You being a highway person exponentially changes things, oil will last a lot longer then stop and go.

Ask this question on bobistheoilguy.com...., youll get many good responses...

·
Registered
28 Posts
So my 2019 HR-V has 5,000 miles on it and the maintenance minder says my oil life is at 40%. I figured by now it would be around 15%. Wondering If I did not accidentally reset the oil life indicator when I was messing with my trip mileage counter, but I really don’t think so.
Called the dealer and they said change the oil every 5000 miles or every six months whichever comes first. Anyone else go longer than 5000 miles or strictly by the maintenance minder?
Also, do they put full synthetic oil in at the factory? I think I will use full synthetic oil when I get it changed.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
every 5000 miles is a good number if you don’t want to follow the maintenance minder, but not every six months, every 12 months.... if you don’t use the car much

·
Registered
28 Posts
I called another Honda dealer and their service department said to go by the maintenance minder and that 5000 miles and at 40% was not abnormal. They also said they use synthetic blend and not full synthetic which really surprised me. I would think full synthetic is the way to go too.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
When you are changing on a regular basis ,and using the car as a daily driver in a non-extreme environment, any conventional oil ,synthetic, or blended oil is fine. Syn oils are great when you are looking for an extended oil intervals like 12,000 miles or such*… Start reading about this over at Bobistheoilguy.com.All those guys do over there is argue 24/7/ 365 days a year on which is the best oil… Fun to read for a while.....

Note: The above comes from a Porsche AG powertrain engineer that headed up their engine design department at a seminar that I went to in Atlanta Georgia in 2006. The above was his statement when asked by an audience member.

Reactions: Fearturtle44

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought my 2019 HR V in January and it is now currently the last week in June, so almost 6 months, and my B1 maintenance light has come on. Is this normal to happen so soon after purchase date?

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
delete

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V Touring CBP
310 Posts
Considering I bought my HR-V in Oct '19, I've already had to do two oil changes and I'm halfway to my third. I've never lasted more 3 months between oil changes on my Honda Fit (I've gone even shorter because of a 11k road trip)... Well, I do average something like 50 miles a day (6 days a week). Most of which is local driving.

If you drive moderately about 10 20 miles a day on local roads (maybe 20-30 40 miles if you're a lot more highway)... six months would just about do it.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts