Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
I feel like it's a chicken and egg thing partially, Honda only offers manual on fewer and fewer low level trims on cheap cars. But I can also see why they don't bother after a while, 2.8 percent of sales is tiny compared to the engineering and manufacturing logistics of supporting another transmission.

I love my EX manual, probably last of a generation to get a nice technology package in a compact SUV.

Registered
I think Honda does a very good job of mating the transmission selection with the car. Obviously for an SUV and a family sedan there is no way that virtually anyone is going to want a stick shift. Whereas a car that is designed to go through the twisties a lot, like a civic SI or a civic type R, can ONLY be purchased with a stick shift.

That being said I have no idea, even if you like stick shifting, Why you would want one, when they鈥檝e invented the DCT. A DCT with paddles is an unbelievable experience on the twisty road. It鈥檚 an electric clutch鈥 AND SHIFTS ARE INSTANTANEOUS So you can really concentrate just like they do an F1, on your track/line. It鈥檚 why I will buy a Kona next time, as it is more horsepower than an HRV and a DCT with paddles鈥 The best of both worlds.....

Registered
That being said I have no idea, even if you like stick shifting, Why you would want one, when they鈥檝e invented the DCT. A DCT with paddles is an unbelievable experience on the twisty road. It鈥檚 an electric clutch鈥 AND SHIFTS ARE INSTANTANEOUS So you can really concentrate just like they do an F1, on your track/line. It鈥檚 why I will buy a Kona next time, as it is more horsepower than an HRV and a DCT with paddles鈥 The best of both worlds.....
Ah, Glen, here is where we diverge. The experience of ACTUALLY driving a car is best experienced with both feet and that dance between the properly placed gear shift and the steering wheel. It takes more practice, concentration, and skill to be able to juggle the dance of all three. The feeling of carving a steep mountain canyon, delicately balancing the dance between brake, clutch and gas pedals is one that truly exemplifies driving vs. just steering the car up and down those twisty mountain roads. One of my favorite experiences was driving my Z3 along Highway 128 leaving Moab, the top down, shifting up and down between gears with my bride at my side holding on to the "OH SH*T* handle for all she was worth. Not a single car in front, and no one even close to my back.

Registered
That鈥檚 cool, I just don鈥檛 want to do the dance anymore, after experiencing a DCT. I just sold a Honda CTX DCT 700 that was unbelievably nice to ride. I鈥檇 rather do it with my hands.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #6
DCT is a way to go after a year with it. It really smooth fast shifting ( up or down), better than any regular auto or CVT tranny. I Was little skeptic at first. I have heard of early problems with it. I think they refined it.

I dont know why? But Manufactures seem to be going back to regular auto tranny for some of their models.

Registered
It鈥檚 more expensive, but it still being used quite a bit, Hyundai is using it in many cars, and that means Kia also.Naturally Porsche and BMW use it.

Acura uses it in the ILX, TLX MDX and RDX, along with 5 motorcycles.

Registered
Sport cars, sure. SUV's...just don't see the need. I had a 4Runner with a 5 speed manual years ago, and it made sense though

Registered
We sold my wife's Fiesta specifically because of how fucking terrible that auto shifting manual was. Always had awkward downshift that left hanging between gears then slammed into one of them, juttering starts on hills, etc. Got great mileage and decent pickup when it worked, but overall hated it.

Maybe that was a unique experience, but I've had great luck with CVT in comparison

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #10
We sold my wife's Fiesta specifically because of how fucking terrible that auto shifting manual was. Always had awkward downshift that left hanging between gears then slammed into one of them, juttering starts on hills, etc. Got great mileage and decent pickup when it worked, but overall hated it.

Maybe that was a unique experience, but I've had great luck with CVT in comparison

I think this why you had bad experiences with DCT.

Registered

Registered
It鈥檚 more expensive, but it still being used quite a bit, Hyundai is using it in many cars, and that means Kia also.Naturally Porsche and BMW use it.

Acura uses it in the ILX, TLX MDX and RDX, along with 5 motorcycles.
I'm pretty sure neither the MDX nor RDX has a DCT.

Registered
All the vehicles available in 2020 with a Manual transmission, by manufacturer.

Just some interesting reading...

BMW
  • 2 Series (230i coupe, M240i coupe/convertible)
  • 4 Series (430i/440i coupe)
  • M2
  • M4
FCA
  • Dodge Challenger
  • Fiat 124 Spider
  • Fiat 500
  • Jeep Compass
  • Jeep Wrangler
  • Jeep Gladiator
Ford
  • Mustang
GM
  • Cadillac CT4/CT5 (eventually)
  • Chevrolet Camaro
  • Chevrolet Spark
Honda
  • Accord
  • Civic/Civic Si/Type R
  • Fit/hrv
Hyundai Genesis
  • G70
  • Accent
  • Elantra/Elantra GT
  • Veloster/Veloster N
  • Venue
Kia
  • Forte
  • Soul
Mazda
  • Mazda 3
  • MX-5 Miata
Mini
  • Clubman
  • Countryman
  • Hardtop/Convertible
  • John Cooper Works
Mitsubishi
  • Mirage/Mirage G4
Nissan
  • 370Z
  • Frontier
  • Sentra
  • Versa
Porsche
  • 718 Boxster/Cayman/GT-4
  • 911 Carrera S/4S
Subaru
  • BRZ
  • Crosstrek
  • Impreza
  • WRX/STI
Toyota
  • Corolla sedan/hatchback
  • Tacoma
  • Yaris sedan
VW
  • Golf/GTI/Golf R
  • Jetta
Copied from Camaro 6 site

Registered
You may be right, the list did not include an HRV, I added it , thinking that it was the same as the FIT. Perhaps it is not. The rest of the list is intact.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts