Honda HR-V Forum banner

Maxca MA-901 CarPlay/Android radio for 2015-2020 HR-V

22K views 38 replies 12 participants last post by  Jamieson 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 2020 HR-V LX AWD that did not come with CarPlay. There is a reply in a thread on this forum about this radio but the poster didn't give a link or info to buy. It took some research but I found it and the seller confirms that it will fit the 2015-2020 cars that came with the basic radio. I sent him pictures of my dash and answered a few questions and he confirmed fitment. He also said that the steering wheel controls and original reverse camera will work. I only wish it were a known brand. Someone, maybe myself, needs to give this thing a try. I must have CarPlay.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I bought this and will give it a try, it has really good buyer feedback. It's $600 less than the Pioneer DMH-WC6600NEX (9 inch screen) at the current price of $175 plus tax, total of $193. Also, the Maxca comes with everything and the Pioneer would need another $200 for the install kit.

#4 ·
I got the radio today, six days from China to Houston, everything looks good. I see why they advertise it as "plug and play" because the wiring harness is already done and complete. The quality of everything seems nice too and it was packaged very well. I'll probably not be able to install it until after the holiday.

#5 ·
Does this factory radio have a security code? How can I get it? I'm asking in case anything is wrong with the aftermarket head unit install that I can put the stock radio back in the car. I had a Civic before and the code was on a sticker in the glove box.

#6 ·
I checked the owner's manual and inside the glove box and can't find the code. I'm going to ask the dealer tomorrow. This is the first step toward getting ready to install the new head unit.

#10 ·
I installed and uninstalled the Maxca MA-901 today. It's a nice head unit but it must not be compatible with the 2020. I will add pictures later, the install was very simple and easy, plug and play as advertised. The problems were that nothing worked; the reverse camera, the steering wheel controls and the lights had a flicker with the engine running. I did get the wireless CarPlay to work but I need everything to work. I will eventually get the expensive Pioneer head unit.

#13 ·
I have the firmware now from the seller and will install it after the New Year holiday. Had I of left the radio in the car I could go try it now but I will have to install it again, which is less than 30 minutes.

#14 ·
I tried the firmware update and there were no improvements, it's the same problems*. I messaged the seller and will wait to hear back from him. I hope we can work this out because it's a nice radio and will save me $800 in the end.

*lights flickering only when the headlights are on, steering wheel controls don't work and the reverse camera doesn't work

#15 ·
The seller said if I can get the pin out wiring diagram for this harness then he can make the connections for the 2019+ harness, so the Maxca radio will work in the later cars. The radio pictured is from the 2020 year model with the basic radio.
Technology Machine Computer Electronic engineering Electronics
Text Technology Parallel Number Label

#17 ·
Does anyone want to try this radio in their 2016-2018 HR-V? I paid $200 with the shipping and I am asking $150 sent within USA. It did not work in my 2020, the 2019+ has different wiring than the 2016-2018. Please see post #11 in this thread for install pictures and pictures of the harness connections.

#21 ·
UPDATE: The person that I sold this head unit to with a 2016 did get it to work in his car, so the Maxca is compatible with the 2016-2018 and not the 2019-2021. I ended up buying the Dasaita for my 2020 at $500 (free shipping) but this Maxca was $150 ($48 shipping). So, those with the early cars might want to try the Maxca and save some money. I see it's now listed for $188 (free shipping).

#22 ·
Yup, thanks again! My quick review compared to my Sony XAV-AX210.

Pros: Bigger 9" display, capacitive touch makes it more responsive, faster boot up and load time.

Cons: Lower pixel density display, no physical volume knob, voice assistant steering wheel button no longer works.

I will post more details shortly.

#27 ·
I was the one that originally bought the Maxca and tried it in my 2020 LX. It was a nice yet very basic head unit but the camera and steering wheel controls did not work in my car. That being said, it seems that the Maxca is good for the 2016-2018 LX only. All others should look to the Dasaita which unfortunately is twice the price.

There are also Joying and about a dozen others to choose from at different prices but I have no experience with those to give feedback.

#31 ·
Hey there. Curious why you'd want to know since it isn't compatible with your year.

Since you sold me yours, I have actually purchased a new model they offer that includes wireless Carplay and Android Auto. What's nice is that it let me get rid of an additional device I was using called AAWireless that always had to be plugged into the USB to give me wireless Android Auto.

Other than that, the UI is a bit of a step back from the version you sent but I'm usually in Android Auto anyways. The new unit also fixed an issue where my time in the gauge cluster was always incorrect.

Otherwise it mostly performs the same and I only have some minor issues that the developer is hoping to help with on firmware updates.

#35 ·
I too found the seller very helpful when I tried this head unit but could not get the reverse camera to work on my 2020 LX AWD even with his guidance, so I (we) gave up and that’s what lead me to the (twice the price) Dasaita.

#36 ·
Hello all, I am new to Honda, I got 2015/2016 H-RV and I am looking at upgrading the the Screen. I did bit of digging for a head unit. I did find different once. The one that got my attention is the Maxca 9. Does anyone have any experience with that Unit. I all need it is for GPS and Music play Airplay for Apple phones. Any know issues ?

Thank you in advance.

#37 ·
I’ve had a Maxca but sold it because not everything worked on my 2020 LX. Another forum member here bought it from me and got it working correctly but I see that he has it for sale now. Do a search with the key word “Maxca” and you’ll find the threads posted.

#38 ·
Hello, everyone! Just joined the forum. I was reading through this thread and a couple others discussing the Maxca head unit – looks like it could end up being by far the most cost-effective option for adding wireless CarPlay and a nice touchscreen to the 2018 LX I just bought, so I took the plunge and ordered one from AliExpress myself last week. It should arrive today, so I'll post the outcome after I've gotten around to installing it!

I did take the precaution of messaging the seller to make 100% sure it comes with the correct connectors specifically for the 2018 LX (I saw there's been at least one case of mismatched connectors in the past). I was assured there would be no problem, so fingers crossed. 🤞

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.