Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While traveling a couple hours today, I noticed my mileage range kept going up and down by a lot. I filled my tank and about 30 minutes into driving, the range suddenly jumped from 285 to 370 then less than ten minutes later it went down to 290. I drive a little fast, though always at a steady MPG, so I don’t understand why it jumps around so much. Can anyone explain?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I have had similar. It is not a problem and think it is just the car’s computer algorithm working. But I’m sure other folks will weigh in with better answers.

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
642 Posts
It takes into account a number of factors before giving it's calculation; are you driving economically or not, are you braking/driving harshly.

For example, one day you could be driving 20 miles in stop Start traffic at lowish speeds, and at the end of the day it states you have 150 miles of range left.

The next day your journey is 100 miles of clear motorway at 60mph. You will probably find the range left has increased from what it stated the previous day, as even though you have driven 100 miles your mpg was far better than the previous days.

To be fair, the range left should only really be used as a rough guide.

·
Administrator
1,874 Posts
It is in realtime, based on current fuel consumption. If you vary your speed, It jumps a lot after filling up. It is still trying to averge your fuel intake. The longer the drive time the better the average. Put in cruise control the range will stabilize.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Notice the top bar that shows "mpg". As that mpg rate changes, so too does your range, it's not an instant change, but it will change it. The mpg rate is based on the engine RPM and distance traveled as well. If you'll notice, when your RPMs go up, your mpg will go down. But of course only do this when theres not traffic or upcoming turns or stop lights in front of you. As the others have said, its a constantly updating average of how many miles are left based on how much throttle input you're giving as well as the distance traveled from that throttle input. Also, when you sit idling and not going anywhere, your mpg will be zero and that will begin to drop your range as well since your engine is still running, but you're not going anywhere. That's why stop and go traffic is awful. You have to burn more gas sitting at lights and also more gas to accelerate to cruising speed, but you don't travel very far before hitting the next light. Thats' a major mpg/range killer.

Also, based on the pictures, I can tell you were accelerating in the last one because the mpg went from 45 mpg down to 25 mpg. 🤪

·
Registered
81 Posts
While traveling a couple hours today, I noticed my mileage range kept going up and down by a lot. I filled my tank and about 30 minutes into driving, the range suddenly jumped from 285 to 370 then less than ten minutes later it went down to 290. I drive a little fast, though always at a steady MPG, so I don’t understand why it jumps around so much. Can anyone explain? View attachment 32147 View attachment 32148 View attachment 32149
There are many variables. I average between 28mpg winter and yes 43 mpg soft driving in summer. I’ve also averaged 36+ mpg at 70-75 mph on the interstate. Your MPG average is highly reliant on your driving style.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts