Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to share that I recently heard some bucking happening at the low gear, 0-20 mph for ten days getting worse. Being a 2016 HRV EXL AWD, I thought it could be the dreaded CVT issue finally catching up to me at 70K miles. After changing the transmission fluid and getting the software update, the issue still persisted. Brought it to a mechanic to rule out axle and brake issues, they discovered two rocks in the gearbox. Not sure how that happened. I know AWDs do not have the engine splash guards and I traverse gravel roads regularly. HRV drives just fine now and happy we dodged a big tranny repair bill!

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V Sport
37 Posts
I wanted to share that I recently heard some bucking happening at the low gear, 0-20 mph for ten days getting worse. Being a 2016 HRV EXL AWD, I thought it could be the dreaded CVT issue finally catching up to me at 70K miles. After changing the transmission fluid and getting the software update, the issue still persisted. Brought it to a mechanic to rule out axle and brake issues, they discovered two rocks in the gearbox. Not sure how that happened. I know AWDs do not have the engine splash guards and I traverse gravel roads regularly. HRV drives just fine now and happy we dodged a big tranny repair bill!
What do you mean for myself and others _"2 rocks in the gearbox" The CVT itself or something else? Shifter linkage etc.?

·
Administrator
2,073 Posts
April fool today?
After changing the transmission fluid and getting the software update, the issue still persisted. Brought it to a mechanic to rule out axle and brake issues, they discovered two rocks in the gearbox. Not sure how that happened.
In order for the rocks to get in. the fill plug must have been missing for a long time. They didn't notice it was missing when the fluid was changed? Did they remove the CVT to find the rocks?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First, it did not take them very long to find the rocks, so I doubt too many things were removed. He recalled and described it as "rocks were on the shelf where the transmission sits." Affected only during upshift but not downshift. Well, at least if gravel got in again, I will be able to have that area checked.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
First, it did not take them very long to find the rocks, so I doubt too many things were removed. He recalled and described it as "rocks were on the shelf where the transmission sits." Affected only during upshift but not downshift. Well, at least if gravel got in again, I will be able to have that area checked.
I think i mis-read this- the rocks got it the way of the linkage on TOP of the transmisson ?
not into the actual transmission itself ?? -
I was looking at this yesterday on mine when i replaced the fluid- i can see that happening.
esp if they are 'inch big' rocks- the fill hole is probably a tad over 1/2" opening and will not fit INSIDE the trans itself.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes. When I had the dealership change the fluid, nothing was missing. When they updated the software, the transmission was supposed to be "inspected" and nothing was noted. From your observations, do you think I should look for a custom engine splash shield as a solution to prevent this? Even if AWD HRVs do not come with them...

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Yes. When I had the dealership change the fluid, nothing was missing. When they updated the software, the transmission was supposed to be "inspected" and nothing was noted. From your observations, do you think I should look for a custom engine splash shield as a solution to prevent this? Even if AWD HRVs do not come with them...
I don't think so - unless you travel on gravel road very often - the linkage is outside of the transmission- its on top - which is a good place to protect them from damage etc.- BUT in this case rocks stones etc can land and get sit on top - then they interfere with the linkage.
it maybe easier to pop the hood once a week a take a look- maybe brush off any stones that may get set up on there.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Nothing is really making sense that BarneyHRV has posted..

He brought it to the dealer for "bucking". The dealer inspected the trans and then did the CVT recall ECM firmware updated but it was still "bucking".
Then he brought his HRV to an independent mechanic who found rocks in the the CVT trans.

1 inch rocks were NOT in the CVT transmission. That would be the end of that transmission.

Perhaps rocks were found jammed in the engine/transmission mounts?

Or the mechanic was making up a story.. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It won't make sense until there are rocks/gravel that need to removed from mounts/shelf/top of transmission.... nevertheless just sharing for those who find themselves dealing with this. And yes, dealer literally said the sound is a little better after the transmission fluid change after a test drive without trying to solve the solution further.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts