Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, this morning going through all of the reviews I was actually surprised that some of the reviewers didn't like the manual transmission in the HR-V and actually recommended the CVT. On the other hand, other reviewers loved the manual transmission.

I've driven a Fit with the manual, and the criticism of having a super light clutch pedal that some reviewers have brought up is spot on. It's something I think you would just have to get used to, but it doesn't inspire confidence in the system.

Anyway, just wondering if others were surprised by the mix reaction to the manual transmission reviews. I'm withholding all judgments until I can test drive both transmissions.

·
Registered
73 Posts
What seems to be interesting is the fact you need to rev it higher like Honda's S2000 to get enough torque. Most of the reviews that I have read/watched where they don't like the manual, they complain about it not having enough power and felt that the CVT is the better option. Then a few lines/seconds later they complain about the engine being rev'd high in the CVT. If you are use to a high or at least higher torque vehicle "You're gonna have a bad time."

I visited Costa Rica with my in-laws where they got the smallest SUV available and constantly on the mountain roads my father-in-law complained about the lack of power. I kept saying, "It has a 6500 redline, stop shifting at 1800". His response was "It should have more torque"

Either is does, or it doesn't, the CVT or even an automatic for that matter will simply mask what's available power wise and simply do, what the manual driver should be doing.

·
Registered
290 Posts
>> just wondering if others were surprised by the mix reaction to the manual transmission reviews

:)

If you've been on this forum more than a day, by now you know there are as many reactions to any HRV feature as there are people doing the reacting...

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Think this is typical in most Hondas for this type of category, (Pilot, CRV, etc.) They offer a manual transmission, but the amount of sales is so small in relation to the overall sales of the vehicle.

Probably best to drive it and if it works for you, buy it. If not, move onto the next configuration and/or vehicle. While everyone has an opinion, sometime people try to make others feel like theirs is the right one, when all that matters is your own.;)

Well, this morning going through all of the reviews I was actually surprised that some of the reviewers didn't like the manual transmission in the HR-V and actually recommended the CVT. On the other hand, other reviewers loved the manual transmission.

I've driven a Fit with the manual, and the criticism of having a super light clutch pedal that some reviewers have brought up is spot on. It's something I think you would just have to get used to, but it doesn't inspire confidence in the system.

Anyway, just wondering if others were surprised by the mix reaction to the manual transmission reviews. I'm withholding all judgments until I can test drive both transmissions.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Buying a manual transmission in a vehicle like this or a CRV is like buying an automatic Corvette. :D:D:D

A manual transmission in certain SUV vehicles isn't even offered as it is just so out of place. Here I think it is offered on the HRV simply to make the price sounds lower but that is it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I too drive a 6 speed fit. It works fine for my needs. It does seem to be a bit peppier at higher rpms. On a recent return to California from a Utah camping trip I averaged 39 mpg. I am used to the 6 speed and will probably opt for it in the HRV. I hope it behaves the same as in my fit. Its less expensive too. I am open to suggestions advice on cvt vs manual. thx

So if I trade my fit in on an hrv I get a bigger engine, cabin, sunroof and better mpg. Sounds like an upgrade to me.

·
Registered
56 Posts
In Europe i think about at least 80% of the vehicles are sold with a manual gearbox, honda charges about 2k extra for an automatic gearbox.
I guess it's due to different roadsituation and style of driving (less relax then you americans) that we are so used to manual gearboxes since cars exist.
Honda makes very good manual transmissions, i've owned 7 Honda's so far and all were a joy to shift.

·
Registered
34 Posts
They fit the HR-V with an Accord Manual transmission, paired with a Civic engine. The CVT will rev high if you want it to, just have to switch it to Sport mode.

·
Registered
751 Posts
The loss of manuals in North America is a shame.

Loss of manuals driven by emissions.
I don't know why I didn't come across this thread before, Thanks for the article Kaos, I find that very informative. I should have known, being in IT, but I wasn't thinking of it as a software problem.

I'm guessing they could develop AI 'learning' software that could tweak the calibration based on driving style to make a manual perform more cleanly, but that sounds like a huge effort for a small and shrinking market, and you'd need to take into account multiple drivers, trip types etc.

I hate to let go of direct man-machine control, but that ship has sailed... the question now is, does the HRV manual simulate that well enough to make it a pleasant and engaging experience. I wonder how it'll be received in Europe, with its much higher proportion of manual-savvy drivers.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I wonder about the big drop off in efficiency, bringing down the EPA combined number from 31 to 28. That is even lower than the larger more powerful CX-5 manual's number of 29.
Likely that the hanging throttle is a result of the ever more difficult task of making manuals conform to emissions test requirements. I wonder also if the Civic using the same engine has that problem and if not why not?

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
p.s. The criticism of the HRV manual that worries me most is the hanging throttle... that can be really annoying.

I have read many reviews, but I can't remember if and where I heard "hanging idle". Do you happen to remember which one it was?

Thanks

·
Registered
751 Posts
I may have coined the term 'hanging throttle' (not idle). I just mean that annoying delay in revs dropping when you clutch and lift your foot off the gas for an upshift.

Hmm... guess I didn't originate the term... here's a quote from Car and Driver:
The HR-V’s port-injected 1.8-liter four-cylinder makes 11 horsepower more than does the Fit’s smaller, direct-injected engine, although that won’t compensate for the extra 332 pounds it carries. Our test equipment recorded a zero-to-60 time of 8.4 seconds, 0.7-second slower than a manual-equipped Fit, and a lazy throttle encourages the HR-V driver to set an even slower pace around town. Bury the gas pedal and shift late, though, and the HR-V scoots around with enough pep to keep its driver awake. Unfortunately, the harder you drive, the more obvious it becomes that the throttle hangs, causing the revs to rise after you lift off the gas and kick in the clutch.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2016-honda-hr-v-fwd-manual-instrumented-test-review

Edit: You can hear what he's talking about in this video, starting at 7:00. Still looks like he's enjoying the drive, though...

http://youtu.be/OMFb43JnPCc

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I may have coined the term 'hanging throttle' (not idle). I just mean that annoying delay in revs dropping when you clutch and lift your foot off the gas for an upshift.

Hmm... guess I didn't originate the term... here's a quote from Car and Driver:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2016-honda-hr-v-fwd-manual-instrumented-test-review

Edit: You can hear what he's talking about in this video, starting at 7:00. Still looks like he's enjoying the drive, though...

http://youtu.be/OMFb43JnPCc

Sorry I misquoted you. I have reread and re-listened to reviews on the Manual and I am actually more comfortable with it now. I think when I test drive it , I will be happy with it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
It's not a hanging throttle, it just means the engine has a heavier flywheel. A heavier flywheel will make the engine less peppy, but will keeps the rip'um's up during shifts. Else you have to bury the throttle between gears. It's a reasonable trade-off IMO.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Very disappointing news. I'm getting a manual trans in my next vehicle and the issues addressed here and the inability of Honda to allow for a satellite radio in the EX is going to push me to other vehicles. Now the Renegade, Forester, Countryman and even the Golf Sportwagen seem to be ahead of the HR-V on my list now.

·
Registered
751 Posts
It's not a hanging throttle, it just means the engine has a heavier flywheel. A heavier flywheel will make the engine less peppy, but will keeps the rip'um's up during shifts. Else you have to bury the throttle between gears. It's a reasonable trade-off IMO.
I'm no expert, but I don't think it's quite that simple anymore. It's all about software and tailpipe emissions. You don't build a high-revving lightweight modern engine with a heavy flywheel.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'm no expert, but I don't think it's quite that simple anymore. It's all about software and tailpipe emissions. You don't build a high-revving lightweight modern engine with a heavy flywheel.
Exactly. It has everything to do with emissions. Honda's have been doing this for a while. My 2011 CR-Z manual has rev hang and its annoying. I've seen a lot of the tuner crowd buy a Hondata unit to tune out the rev hang.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts