Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a heavy-ish rain, my 2017 HR-V smells like horrible mold/mildew/middle school gym. I thought it was the AC like other have posted here, but after putting my nose closely to the vents I found that was not it. I thought perhaps it was clogged drains in the sunroof, but those checked out good. Later, I pulled one of my door panels off because I was installing sound deadening material, and found the source of the horrendous smell. Water is getting inside the doors and not draining.
1. is this expected?
2. If expected, should it be draining? Where?
3. Has anyone else experienced this, and what did you do?

·
Registered
2019 HR-V EX
158 Posts
There should be little gaps along the bottom seam of the door panels where water can escape.

You could check with the door panel off, but you can also clean the drains with a small plastic cable tie or pipe-cleaner.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There should be little gaps along the bottom seam of the door panels where water can escape.

You could check with the door panel off, but you can also clean the drains with a small plastic cable tie or pipe-cleaner.
Thanks. I’ll check them out as soon as it stops raining.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Okay, I can confirm:
1. The smell is DEFINITELY coming from inside the doors. It just rained heavy and I pulled all the windows down and smelled inside the door by pulling the seals apart and it REEKS.
2. I’ve located the drains and while they don’t seem to be clogged, there’s a lot of material coming out of them. I’ll have to pull the door panels off and see what’s going on inside.
Thank you so much for this tip. Will update once I’m able to do something

Reactions: BeeGee07746

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
25/75 Clorox/water in spray will kill the odor, The Clorox smell after will dissipate quickly.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
25/75 Clorox/water in spray will kill the odor, The Clorox smell after will dissipate quickly.
That's a good idea!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts