Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how much any is paying monthly for their hrv? I know it varies on interest but just trying to get an estimate....

·
Registered
7 Posts
You can get an estimate using an online calculator.
Evaluating monthly payment is a ridiculous and meaningless effort.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Unless you are talking about leasing, it all depends on how much you finance, the term limit, and your interest rate. After I put down close to $4,750, I'm going to finance $20,000 for 60 months. This would be for a FWD EX CVT, about $200 in dealer add ons, and then Texas Tax, Title, and Licence.

Here are some different payments using that amount:
0.9% - $341
1.9% - $350
2.9% - $359
3.9% - $367
4.9% - $377

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just wondering how much any is paying monthly for their hrv? I know it varies on interest but just trying to get an estimate....
Dealers call shoppers like you "payment buyers" and they love you! Becoming fixated on monthly payment allows them to wreak all kinds of havoc with selling price, interest rate, loan term, trade-in value, etc.:D

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think I got a really, really good deal. I went into the dealer with two number in mind first the MRSP and the Buyout amount and an attitude that I could take the HR-V or leave it.

The MRSP - Buyout amount is the amount your financing in a lease. So in Ontario the MRSP on the EX AWD was $26,700 - $13200 (approx) residual value. So I'm "financing $13,500 over 48 months = $293 per month.

I put down $4k so for me the calculation was $26,700 - $4000 = $22,700 less residual value of $13,200 = $9500 financed over 48 months @ 1.99% = $232.00 per month + Warranty + freight and PDi + tax on downpayment my payment ended up just under $300.00 per month.

If you work the same numbers on build a honda on the canadian website it says $323 a month, but usually it's hard to hit those numbers (huge resistance and lots of excuses at the dealers), but I managed to get quite a bit lower.

These numbers are Canadian (Ontario).

·
Registered
536 Posts
Monthly payment depends on:

Negotiated cost of car
Down payment
Sales tax
APR for financing
How long the term is (36 months, 60 months, etc.)

First rule of car buying: get pre-approved for a loan - or at the very least know your credit score - before going to the dealer. They make money off financing and usually pad the APR a bit (e.g. you qualify for 1.9% but they may tell you 2.5%).

Second rule of car buying: Negotiate from the CAR PRICE first. The dealers are tricky and can do a lot of things to make a car fit your "monthly payment," and will usually screw you over in the process.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Watch out if you start negotiating a monthly payment. A few dollars a month might not seem like much, but it'll cost a lot more in the end.

Also, don't get that terrible extended warranty. Of all the Honda's my family and I have had in the past, 99% of the issues covered under an extended warranty didn't even occur till we were at around 150/160,000 miles. The only car I've ever used an extended warranty on was my Mini Cooper S. But it was German, with a turbocharger, and was driven on city streets all day.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Though I will add on the warranty end- if you are planning to keep the car forever, some dealers offer an unlimited mileage - life of the car, bumper to bumper warranty.
I didn't do it- but if you think you'll keep it forever, that's pretty cheap peace of mind on all the electrics, etc

·
Registered
536 Posts
Though I will add on the warranty end- if you are planning to keep the car forever, some dealers offer an unlimited mileage - life of the car, bumper to bumper warranty.
I didn't do it- but if you think you'll keep it forever, that's pretty cheap peace of mind on all the electrics, etc
Usually the stipulation is that you must get all service done at the dealership, and you cannot miss THEIR service intervals, even by a day. The dealer next to me "requires" oil changes every 5k miles or 6 months, whichever comes first. Total bs.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Watch out if you start negotiating a monthly payment. A few dollars a month might not seem like much, but it'll cost a lot more in the end.

Also, don't get that terrible extended warranty. Of all the Honda's my family and I have had in the past, 99% of the issues covered under an extended warranty didn't even occur till we were at around 150/160,000 miles. The only car I've ever used an extended warranty on was my Mini Cooper S. But it was German, with a turbocharger, and was driven on city streets all day.
This is good advice, though I'll admit to having purchased the extended warranty. I got them to match the prices that the online sellers of Honda Care charge. It was 10 year/120k miles for about ~$1300, no deductible at my local dealer. Totally unnecessary and completely ignores my own rule for insurance and warranty which is: "The insurance companies are in the business of making money. Self-insure anything you can afford to self-insure." (And we're good about keeping an emergency fund for unexpected repairs, etc.) But to be honest, I've never had a car with anywhere near this much gadgetry, and decided it was worth the markup for peace of mind that a camera or a touch screen would crap out within the next decade. We'll see, and I'll happily not to have use it!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I kinda feel ripped off here. I traded in my 2013 civic and put down $11,500 on the HRV and my payments are $294 for 5 years - I have the EX HRV

·
Registered
235 Posts
I kinda feel ripped off here. I traded in my 2013 civic and put down $11,500 on the HRV and my payments are $294 for 5 years - I have the EX HRV
Can't judge that without a few more details.

You have the EX AWD - MSRP is $23,215. What did you end up paying after fees, etc?

What was your interest rate? Your earlier thread said you were 20 years old. I'm guessing you didn't have time to build up a lot of credit yet.

You traded in a 2 year old car? Did they give you what you owed on it or were you upside down on it?

·
Registered
772 Posts
Over that 5 years you are paying $17,640.
Your age definitely comes into play for the interest rate. Did you include the tax, title, license and fees in the deal? Because you are paying interest on all of it. Depending what accessories you got, you are paying $4000-$5000 more than the sticker price + delivery fee of $24,095

·
Registered
536 Posts
Yep, we need more info. That does sound high. For example:

Cost: $24095
Down payment: $11500*
*California does not use the trade in price to offset taxes, so you get taxed on the full amount of the car. Not sure what state you are in.
Tax: CA rate is 9%
APR: 3.32%
Term: 60 months

The finance calculator spit out approx $268. Did you add accessories or an extended warranty? Is your interest rate really high? All of those would account for the increase in payment.

·
Registered
20 Posts
But it really isn't, at least if you are fortunate enough to have good credit. The average market return on even a conservative ETF for the financed period would return a significant savings due to time value of money.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Can't judge that without a few more details.

You have the EX AWD - MSRP is $23,215. What did you end up paying after fees, etc?

What was your interest rate? Your earlier thread said you were 20 years old. I'm guessing you didn't have time to build up a lot of credit yet.

You traded in a 2 year old car? Did they give you what you owed on it or were you upside down on it?

My Civic was payed off. I have good credit but I also had my step father co-sign which got me the "best rate" which Honda said is a set rate for the HRV and can't go any lower, I think it's a 4.1%. I feel I was also ripped off with my trade in, fully paid off in a year, was in beyond perfect condition, not one scratch, ding or anything- I even still had that yellow and white glove compartment label sticking out of it and was given 11,500 for this from Honda. I did purchase the extended warrantee, 8 years - 100k miles which was about $1,800.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My Civic was payed off. I have good credit but I also had my step father co-sign which got me the "best rate" which Honda said is a set rate for the HRV and can't go any lower, I think it's a 4.1%. I feel I was also ripped off with my trade in, fully paid off in a year, was in beyond perfect condition, not one scratch, ding or anything- I even still had that yellow and white glove compartment label sticking out of it and was given 11,500 for this from Honda. I did purchase the extended warrantee, 8 years - 100k miles which was about $1,800.
I don't know about that being the best rate. They offered me 3.49%. I laughed and said I'd finance elsewhere. Before I could walk out, he told me to wait a minute. Walked away and came back to offer me 2.19%. They also offered me $550 more than other dealers offered for my trade in. I paid sticker price though. They threw in the mud flaps for free.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts