Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Interesting, as I too had read that there was good sound dampening in the car... I can't wait to compare it to my so-loud-I-can't-hear-the-music Civic...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I really wish there were either concrete numbers on the noise (a dB average or something would be lovely) or if they'd at least say in comparison to...

My comparisons are going to be to a 2002 Saturn SL2 and a 2009 Honda Fit. Are they comparing it to a Buick Encore? A dunebuggy?

I know I'm preaching to the choir but it's annoying.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
please do post the dB readings.

I think the conflicting noise levels might arise from highway noise and city/suburban noise driving. A lot of the reviews are just driving around the neighborhood or on nice streets that will be much quieter than highways.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I really wish there were either concrete numbers on the noise (a dB average or something would be lovely) or if they'd at least say in comparison to...

My comparisons are going to be to a 2002 Saturn SL2 and a 2009 Honda Fit. Are they comparing it to a Buick Encore? A dunebuggy?

I know I'm preaching to the choir but it's annoying.
We're almost car twins! My Saturn was a 96 and my Fit is an 08. :)
Any sound dampening will be better than the Fit! Drive on the freeway and you have to crank the music above 20-25 on the radio to hear it. Its probably contributing to early hearing loss. :eek:

·
Registered
290 Posts
Keep in mind - almost all of these reviews were in stop and go Miami city traffic. A few of the reporters were honest and stated that. Others committed sins of omission and led you to believe they'd actually had more than a few minutes in the car.

I'm waiting for the "we had it for a week reviews". A few reviewers said they'd done that, and the real reviews should be forthcoming.

·
Registered
290 Posts
>> I really wish there were either concrete numbers on the noise

Oh man, there are so many variables involved in getting meaningful values. You'd need a wind tunnel with rollers, a sophisticated software tool, and thousands of test scenarios. Wind speed, road surface, vehicle speed, air density, ambient environmental sound, location of the receiver inside the car, current engine RPM, torque and horsepower, what frequencies humans can perceive, what frequencies humans find most annoying. I probably haven't even scratched the surface.

In other words, it's impossible in practical terms. That's why almost every magazine doesn't do anything more than say "it's quieter/noisier than competitors". And they probably get even that wrong.

·
Registered
30 Posts
HR-V Interior Sound Levels from Car & Driver, June issue...

Here are the sound level numbers that Car & Driver reported for an EX-L AWD in their June issue. Does anyone know what these would compare to and if they are reasonable? This whole "CVT drone" issue which many reviews don't like has me wondering what to expect. I've never driven a CVT before, so I'll spend a lot of time doing so to see what this is all about.

INTERIOR SOUND LEVEL

IDLE......................43 dBA
FULL THROTTLE.......76 dBA
70-MPH CRUISING...69 dBA

Their acceleration test notes state "Not much power train enthusiasm here. The CVT spins the engine to 6700 and then back to about 6000 rpm as 60 mph is reached. CVT conspires against a good launch, and the engine racket is as intrusive and annoying as a sitcom mother-in law". Of course, none of us will likely be driving the vehicle as it was tested for top acceleration, but it does make me wonder what to expect.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I seem to remember in days past (literally, last century) that anything below 72 dBA was considered good. When looking at those numbers, remember that the scale is logarithmic. A few points is a doubling of the perceived sound level.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts