Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone with an HRV yet do some driving in the mountains? We do a ton of hiking in the spring and summer and I'm just curious how well it will do. There is a lot of up and down hill driving, one way gravel road driving, etc. So if anyone has experience with this, I'm interested in hearing!

·
Registered
185 Posts
I do not have any mountains in my area, But I did however notice it does take a little "umpf" when going up hill on freeways... Generally I just down shift but to each their own.

Reactions: Bajando41

·
Registered
332 Posts
Did you see the one video where they took the HR-V off road? It was posted here.....they thought it did very well. They were off road, no gravel.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'm thinking about heading up to a ski area for some light hiking this weekend. Mostly views and cooler weather. The road to this ski area is a bit squirrelly I wouldn't ever attempt it in winter in my Fit iwithout studded tires as a minimum. I always hitched a ride with Subaru and Tundra friends. This road gets pretty icy even in late spring as I watched 4 guys in an accord loaded with snowboards all stick one foot out each door and try to skateboard the car up the hill!! I don't expect ice (80F forecast this weekend) but the highway should be a fun test. I'll report back if I do go. The Everyman driver video posted above was one of my biggest nudges. I'm not an off-roader but I was happy to see I'd be able to go up logging roads to hiking destinations with no problem!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/C...1s0x5490b61c9459cad7:0xb41349b7f3405b45?hl=en

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you see the one video where they took the HR-V off road? It was posted here.....they thought it did very well. They were off road, no gravel.

I did see it, which was nice, but I'd rather have opinions from the every day driver.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm thinking about heading up to a ski area for some light hiking this weekend. Mostly views and cooler weather. The road to this ski area is a bit squirrelly I wouldn't ever attempt it in winter in my Fit iwithout studded tires as a minimum. I always hitched a ride with Subaru and Tundra friends. This road gets pretty icy even in late spring as I watched 4 guys in an accord loaded with snowboards all stick one foot out each door and try to skateboard the car up the hill!! I don't expect ice (80F forecast this weekend) but the highway should be a fun test. I'll report back if I do go. The Everyman driver video posted above was one of my biggest nudges. I'm not an off-roader but I was happy to see I'd be able to go up logging roads to hiking destinations with no problem!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/C...1s0x5490b61c9459cad7:0xb41349b7f3405b45?hl=en

Okay, counting on you this weekend! :D

·
Registered
205 Posts
Had a great little road trip up to the ski area yesterday! 80 and sunny and tremendous views! The drive up the boulevard to the ski area off the highway was nice. The CVT performed very smoothly and the car was effortless to keep in the curves. On the way down I got stuck behind a Chrysler 200 rental car (booooooo!) that was going well under the posted limit and breaking in every slight curve. But to my delight a short passing zone opened up and I made a run for it. Wow! Immediate response to my foot on the gas and I got up to 60 very quickly from about 30 to get around. There was a curve at the end of the passing zone so I wanted to clear them long before a car could come around the curve. As I got back in the lane I was petting the steering wheel saying "GOOD CAR!! I liiiiike youuuuu! Good job car!" Turned to my BF in the passenger seat and said, well that was fun! Old car wouldn't have had a hard time finding the gear to downshift without my help even passing downhill like that. Then I realized I was going 65 in a 35-40ish mountain road and needed to calm the eff down before the really curvy part with guardrails! Such a fun little drive. Wish we would have started earlier so we could have continued up to Mount Rainier. Next road trip is Mount Rainier!

·
Registered
205 Posts
He straight up said he would have passed the rental car in the first passing zone on top of the mountain. I hesitated and hoped they would get moving once they got settled. Wrong.

Actually we had many conversations about switching from a smaller car to a higher sitting one. And while dimensions wise it's not very different, the handling or perhaps perceived handling is definitely different from my old Fit. The first week I was not brave enough to make quick lane changes in heavy traffic but that's probably also that ultra cautious I just got a new car and don't have the plates yet driving. He recently went from a 93 Acccord to a Crosstrek and knew exactly how I was feeling those first few days. Getting out in the woods got me a lot more comfortable with my new ride!

He did ask me whether my old Fit had electronic steering, he mentioned that took a bit to get used to since it tends to react differently from traditional power steering. I totally didn't realize fly by wire was in cars, I always think of it in airplanes!

·
Registered
805 Posts
Hmm ... an HR-V and a Crosstrek in the same family/relationship ...

Thanks for the insights ... I was particularly glad to hear that the engine didn't "race" uphills.

My test drive included only the mildest terrain ... but I went back over the same route with our 2010 Prius ... and it was whirring away. I guess the Atkinson Cycle engine coupled with a less "engaging" CVT makes the Prius tiresome in hilly country.

I think we'll be ready to bite when SWMBO returns from Japan ....
An HR-V and a Crosstrek ... hmmmmm :)

·
Registered
751 Posts
mainemax, what's your take on the crosstrek? Sounds like you have some opinions...

And trickycoolj, how does he like his? And how would you both compare your cars with the other?

That Subie has really caught my attention since my test drive...

·
Registered
205 Posts
Honestly it was on my short list if anything drastic would have happened to my Fit before the HRV came out. He got it in 2013 right after they came out. Waited for the dealer to do a trade for a manual (that's why I haven't test drove his, I can sorta drive a manual if it was an emergency and that was the only car). He really likes it, granted his previous car was a 1993 Accord. He doesn't find the Subie sluggish at all, but that really depends on what you're coming from because so many reviews declare it sluggish. We've hauled lots of bikes and skis, gone on a 5 hour road trip to Eastern Washington, several 3 hour trips to Portland, and plenty of snowy trips for skiing and it's been a champ in all those situations and quite comfortable. The back seat has a lot less leg room than the HRV, I'm 5'5" and did ok behind the drivers seat when his brother joined one of the trips. But anyone much taller might not be as comfortable on a longer trip. I like the cargo space in the HRV better, it's deeper instead of being flush with the hatch opening on the bottom, the trade off is less ground clearance for me but I've been happy to not bottom out in bad driveway/sidewalk connections and steep parking garages. He laughed at me cringing expecting a driveway that scraped my Fit to nail the new car and it didn't! Subaru's AWD is of course going to be stronger if that is a critical feature for your needs but sacrifices some MPGs. He's got the middle tier trim and it's a few years old so I don't know if they've improved it but the infotainment system is clunky at best and only really does ok with an iPod classic plugged in via USB. He doesn't like using BT for music from his Android phone since it doesn't read the folders or song info properly, incoming calls are fine, but for outgoing voice activated calls you have to build a separate phone book on the car's system, it doesn't pull contact info from your phone. The HRV is much simpler to use in that respect, both iPod via USB and iPhone music and calls via BT with the option to use Siri. They're both pretty similar so it will really come down to personal feel. I doubt a married couple would need both of these cars since they duplicate so much, if that were the case I'd probably go for another Fit or something hybrid or electric for city driving to compliment the rugged car unless both people had critical jobs that don't stop for inclement weather.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Thank you ... very informative review!

We were looking at both for her ... and your explanation of why you chose the HR-V helps ...
The HR-V is a more modern design, more efficient ... maybe a bit more refined :)

·
Registered
751 Posts
Thanks very much, tricky, it's really helpful to have your perspective!

The electronics were completely redone this year, so hopefully some of your complaints there have been addressed. I haven't looked at that in detail yet.

For me it may come down to capabilities like great awd, ground clearance, roof racks, towing. I have no current need for any of that, but after driving the Crosstrek I started thinking about things we could get into as we move toward retirement and have more free time: kayaking, camping, hiking, skiing... maybe even a small boat. I wasn't considering awd on the HRV, though of course I could. Also wasn't planning on the EXL, and hate that you can't get (factory) roof racks on the EX. And towing not recommended...

Just feels like more options with the Subie, albeit for more money.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts