Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 HR-V LX AWD
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There has been a "film" on the inside of the windshield since I bought this car and I can't get it to go away. I've never experienced this before and it's not on any of the other windows on my HR-V (they're tinted). I can't seem to get it to go away. I cleaned it with Windex and Bounty towels and it went away for a while but it's back now. If the day is hot it doesn't show at all but on a rainy or humid day or when the windshield fogs up I can barely see out of the window. The defrost does clear it up but I want to clean it and not deal with it again. Has anyone had this problem before? What cleaner should I use? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
73 Posts
It's caused by the dash giving off gasses. Don't laugh at me, I'm serious. The dash (and other bits of plastic in the interior) give off gasses. These accumulate on everything but you can really only see them on glass. The warmer it is, the more the dash outgasses. The fumes rise, right onto your windscreen. No way to keep it from happening but it will get better over time. Windex and newspaper works best but either paper towels or a microfiber cloth works well, too. Sorry, but there's no way to "not deal with it again".

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
635 Posts
As well as the plastic dash being the cause, does anyone smoke in your vehicle (not sure about vaping) as that leaves a film.

If you are not sure of what product to use, have a search for car cleaning or detailing websites and see what gets recommended. I have recently swapped my wiperblades over and they were occasionally dragging across the screen. I stopped using the hydrophobic specific glass spray and reverted to my trusty glass polish and the problem went away. Not recommending this product (not sure if it is even available in the States) but just showing the type I would use.

As an aside, it is not just the plastic on the dash that can cause issues;

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
It is more than just the dash that produces the gases. Outgassing is actually the 'new car smell' that we all seem to love.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I use this cleaner for both inside and outside glass surfaces:

this is better than Windex because it foams and controls where you spray giving you time to wipe, use a microfiber cloth to wipe with.

This outgassing will not go away, it is worse when the car is new but if you use plastic cleaners or Armor All, this will just start again. The outgassing is the VOC (volatile organic compounds) coming out of the plastic and redepositing onto the inside of the glass. It is more noticeable on the windshield, but it is also on the door glass and the rear glass.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Heres a video where the guy talks about it and shows how he super cleans it. I would skip the Magic Erase part because those have some micro abrasive compounds which could possibly scratch the glass if you push too hard, will also scratch up window tinting as he states.

Another tip is to avoid external circulation as much as possible. Regardless of which vents (Upper, lower) you set it on, there is always a bit of airflow that will come out of the windshield vents. If you have external circulation on, you are directly blasting the inner windshield with all the polluted air and it will grease up much much faster. I always leave it on internal circulation, but I also like driving with the moonroof and back windows down. So my back windshield gets all greasy from the air, but the front windshield stays cleaner longer. lol.

·
Premium Member
2020 HR-V LX AWD
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for your input. I will continue to clean it as needed. It's summer now and I don't notice it as much at all. It's most noticeable when the windshield fogs up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There has been a "film" on the inside of the windshield since I bought this car and I can't get it to go away. I've never experienced this before and it's not on any of the other windows on my HR-V (they're tinted). I can't seem to get it to go away. I cleaned it with Windex and Bounty towels and it went away for a while but it's back now. If the day is hot it doesn't show at all but on a rainy or humid day or when the windshield fogs up I can barely see out of the window. The defrost does clear it up but I want to clean it and not deal with it again. Has anyone had this problem before? What cleaner should I use? Any help is appreciated.
ArmorAll glass wipes worked better for me than Windex. I thought I was losing my night vision before hearing about this film

·
Premium Member
2020 HR-V LX AWD
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I tried the RainX anti-fog and it didn't help. I will try those ArmorAll wipes, thanks.

·
Registered
2021 Honda HR-V Vti-S
60 Posts
Thanks everyone for your input. I will continue to clean it as needed. It's summer now and I don't notice it as much at all. It's most noticeable when the windshield fogs up.
I did the inside of my windscreen yesterday, after seeing that Chris Fix video in the link above. Only thing I did different was not to turn around and use his backhand method, I just held Magic Eraser and the microfiber cloth on the back of my hand, less strenuous and easier on my back.
I used the Magic Eraser and microfiber cloth only, I was stunned at how clear the glass looked in bright sunlight.
I use a damp sponge and a microfiber cloth to dry on the window tint, windex or clay bar on the outside of the windscreen, depends on how dirty it gets.

·
Premium Member
2020 HR-V LX AWD
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All summer the muck did not show itself but now that it’s the fall season the muck is back if the temperature outside is 70° or less.

·
Registered
2021 Honda HR-V Vti-S
60 Posts
All summer the muck did not show itself but now that it’s the fall season the muck is back if the temperature outside is 70° or less.
Have you tried cleaning your dashboard with Aero 303?
That is what they use to clean the top of the aircraft instrument panels, it stops the build up a gases on the inside of the windshield.
I generally just use water, and if the car is parked out in the sun when not at home, I use a reflective screen inside the car, it helps protect the dashboard and reduces the heat inside the car at the same time. Windscreen Sunshade

·
Registered
97 Posts
Haven't had this issue yet on our '21, bought at the end of July, but fully expected.....although it lives in our garage and is in a parking deck at my wife's work, so doesn't spend much time in sunlight other than the commute. Still has the new car smell, for better or worse

·
Registered
178 Posts
Haven't had this issue yet on our '21, bought at the end of July, but fully expected.....although it lives in our garage and is in a parking deck at my wife's work, so doesn't spend much time in sunlight other than the commute. Still has the new car smell, for better or worse
Mine was pur in june...21 hrv sport

·
Registered
2021 Honda HR-V Vti-S
60 Posts
I have found since I installed a dash cover the inside of the windshield is staying much cleaner longer....
I bought a dash mat for my 2016 CRV, it reflected the sunlight in such a way that it put an image of "fairy lights" across the bottom of the windscreen. The image was picked up by my dash cam and it was off putting when viewing the footage.
I have never bothered with dash mats ever since.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I bought a dash mat for my 2016 CRV, it reflected the sunlight in such a way that it put an image of "fairy lights" across the bottom of the windscreen. The image was picked by my dash cam and it was off putting when viewing the footage.
I have never bothered with dash mats ever since.
I love mine it is black velour and does not do what your does. I have been using dash mats in other cars that I had and never had a issue with reflection from the mat..like I said I always get the velour material.

·
Premium Member
2020 HR-V LX AWD
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's happening on the outside of the windshield now. No matter how much I spray (it's the liquid the dealership put in the car) or wipe, the muck stays on the glass. It seems to be temperature affected, as it only does it under certain conditions. It's only happening on the front glass, none of the other glass surfaces in the car are affected. I've never had any car do this before in my 35 years of owning cars, including several Hondas, but this is the first brand new car that I've ever had in my life. Also, my family has worked in the automotive industry (sales and repair) for 50+ years and we've never seen this before. I'm wondering, are these cars shipped with that white plastic stuck across the windshield? Maybe that's it, a film from that.

·
Registered
2021 Honda HR-V Vti-S
60 Posts
It's happening on the outside of the windshield now. No matter how much I spray (it's the liquid the dealership put in the car) or wipe, the muck stays on the glass. It seems to be temperature affected, as it only does it under certain conditions. It's only happening on the front glass, none of the other glass surfaces in the car are affected. I've never had any car do this before in my 35 years of owning cars, including several Hondas, but this is the first brand new car that I've ever had in my life. Also, my family has worked in the automotive industry (sales and repair) for 50+ years and we've never seen this before. I'm wondering, are these cars shipped with that white plastic stuck across the windshield? Maybe that's it, a film from that.
Have you used "Clay Bar" on the outside of the windscreen?
I have done mine with clay bar, brings it up like new.
Mother Clay Bar Kit

I put a tag on the windscreen washer bottle cap at Service time, "Do Not Put ANY Additive/s In Here".
The bloody mechanics cannot - do not or choose not to read clients notes on the Service Sheet. Then the dealer has the hide to hit you up with >$3.00 for their additive.
I once told a Subaru dealership to remove the charge, Service Mgr said it was not possible, I said if we go upstairs to the Dealer Principle I bet I can get it removed, he took it off, I never went there again.
I use my own additive, it doesn't leave white soap spots all over the windscreen. :mad:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts