Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6spd FWD
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after many months of waiting, mugen exhaust finally arrived. Mugen Sports Silencer(18000-XMR-K0S0). It only took me an hour to install, maybe less if I didn’t have to loosen the bolts on my trailer hitch.

As mentioned before from
another mugen exhaust owner, not much noticeable increase in noise compared from the oem exhaust, maybe a slight deeper/rich tone but not much - purely cosmetic!

(click the link for video I uploaded on youtube for sound)
MUGEN EXHAUST 2017 Honda HR-V

Automotive exhaust Bicycle part Automotive lighting Nickel Cylinder
Automotive lighting Automotive exhaust Muffler Exhaust system Automotive tire

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust
Automotive tail & brake light Plant Vehicle Hood Light

·
Registered
404 Posts
Yup US$1000 for that beautiful muffler!

Mugen exhaust stuff is amazing but extremely pricey.

It sounds super quiet. I wonder if you got rid of the lame exhaust resonator like I did.
It's the ugly cannister under the passenger door. Couple of bucks for a muffler shop to get rid of it.
Plus more ground clearance.

It will give your exhaust more attitude with your new Mugen muffler.
And with your 6 speed manual, it will sound way better than with the lame CVT trans.

Reactions: John35g

·
Registered
666 Posts

It sounds super quiet. I wonder if you got rid of the lame exhaust resonator like I did.
It's the ugly cannister under the passenger door. Couple of bucks for a muffler shop to get rid of it.

And with your 6 speed manual, it will sound way better than with the lame CVT trans.

That is about 4% of the sticker price of a new HRV - and zero performance valve.
Looks great but that is all.

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
635 Posts
If it's just the aesthetics you're after, the European HR-V Sport (1.5 Turbo) came with chromed exhaust tips on it's twin exhaust. You could purchase the tips, attach one to the end of the exhaust, and attach the second one either by bolting or welding it on.

That will save you a pretty penny in buying the silencer.

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V Touring CBP
593 Posts
If it's just the aesthetics you're after, the European HR-V Sport (1.5 Turbo) came with chromed exhaust tips on it's twin exhaust. You could purchase the tips, attach one to the end of the exhaust, and attach the second one either by bolting or welding it on.

I wonder if its the same as the "exhaust finisher" that comes on the upper trims (I think the EX has it, but I know my Touring has this "finisher").

·
Registered
6spd FWD
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
zero performance valve.
…i already knew and was not expecting any performance gain when I purchased my exhaust. Just like everything I’ve installed on my HR-V, it’s for looks only. I do drive my HR-V to the mountains a lot for camping and drive it “off road” but by no means crawling over rocks. I’m also not planning on getting this HR-V under 10 seconds on 1/4 mile.

been a fan of mugen since the 90s and I simply wanted one

·
Registered
666 Posts
…i already knew and was not expecting any performance gain when I purchased my exhaust. Just like everything I’ve installed on my HR-V, it’s for looks only. I do drive my HR-V to the mountains a lot for camping and drive it “off road” but by no means crawling over rocks. I’m also not planning on getting this HR-V under 10 seconds on 1/4 mile.

been a fan of mugen since the 90s and I simply wanted one
its probably hand crafted too.Sweet.

·
Registered
404 Posts
That was the point of my suggestion of deleting the mid exhaust resonator.

The Mugen exhaust will not add power and it doesn't sound like it changes the exhaust tone very much at all.
So US$1000 for nice looking dual exhaust tips.

But if you delete the exhaust resonator also, at least you will some exhaust note to go with the nice looking dual exhaust tips!

·
Registered
10 Posts

Before I wrecked MY 2002 pristine Accord SE with 2.3L SOHC, that led to the purchase of my present daily driver, a Certified Pre-Owned 2018 HR-V EX, I did a resonator delete in it not long after I had a Magnaflow stainless steel “axle back“ exhaust system installed and deleting the OEM resonator increased highway drone, which my muffler shop informed me was what the resonator in exhaust systems are for. Sounded great though, in street driving. Wound up having my muffler guys reinstall a universal resonator to tone down the highway drone, which was still apparent but tolerable at least! The exhaust sound in my Accord with the stock OEM Honda resonator and the Magnaflow muffler sounded almost stock, so that‘s why I decided to have the resonator cut out of the exhaust to see how it sounded.
I just listened to the YouTube video of the pricey Mugen exhaust mentioned in this thread, and the sound reminded me of muffler set up on my Accord with the axle-back Magnaflow stainless steel exhaust with the stock resonator still in place. That entire custom-installed system including custom bent stainless steel exhaust piping and welds, and finished off with a polished stainless steel 5” diameter outlet exhaust tip was just a little over $300 total! it was a beautiful looking set-up that I wish I could have saved after the car was totaled. Can’t say it helped with performance but definitely not gas mileage because my foot got very heavy very often, wanting to hear the exhaust growl! A performance muffler would probably sound good with the HR-V paddle shifting though!

·
Registered
10 Posts
No exhaust plans for the HR-V though, at least not right now. For now I had a relatively new stainless steel chrome exhaust tip that I had previously on a 2014 Civic but it never fit well and couldn’t be tightened securely so it eventually loosened up and I had to remove it. But when I got my HR-V I decided to try it since it is specifically made for OEM exhaust tips that turn downward Like the HR-V had.

I have attached pics of the tip installed and if you look closely the turned down exhaust tip exits downward, not through the rear of the chrome exhaust tip. You can see in one of the pics, that there is actually a hole for the exhaust to exit at the bottom of the exhaust tip. So the rear exit is purely cosmetic but also good because since the exhaust exits downward, not upward, lessens the possibility of any carbon building up from the tip on the rear of the bumper. The tip fits completely over the stock muffler tip and I was able to tighten the mounting bolts very securely so not only does it look like a stock OEM add on, it’s not going to come off!

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Wheel Car Grille
Automotive tire Grille Hood Vehicle Automotive lighting

Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting White

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
6spd FWD
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
1 - 15 of 15 Posts