Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 Honda HRV. Haven’t even owned it for 6 months, have less than 15K on the odometer and am already experiencing problems starting the car at times. Brought it to the dealership and I think all they did was disconnect the battery to reset the system, but later that night already had another scare of it giving me troubles starting. I literally got out of the car, closed the door, locked it, and got right back in, crossed my fingers and it started right up. I should mention that the first time it almost left me stranded i had to pull the physical key out of the fob to lock and unlock it which gave me the impression that the fob was dead, but when I hopped back in the car to give it one last try before excepting a ride from my girlfriends boss it started up and presented me with this lovely and colorful diagnostics screen on my dash.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well that’s one thought. But does it explain why I couldn’t use the fob to lock and unlock the doors? And just an update after trying to tempt fate earlier today when it happened yet again I realized I also couldn’t lock and unlock the car using the button inside the door. I believe the problem stems a bit further past the start button.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yessir! It truly acts as if the car is deader than a doornail when the problem occurs. Like I was mentioning before, I should have specified that the buttons on the inside door handle weren’t even working to lock and unlock the doors. (In case you thought I was talking about the fob still.)

By the way, thank you for taking the time to reply to my messages. This is really aggravating. Back in 2006 I had a crv that needed something with the engine replaced in less than a year of owning (turned out being a recall problem), it’s not just Honda either. I had a Mini Cooper, brand new and the check engine light came on before my first oil change. The car gods hate me!

·
Banned
609 Posts
The first thing any mechanic will suspect is a loose battery connection...if it is something else, be glad it is under warranty and let Honda deal with it. It would help if you can duplicate the problem for them

·
Registered
2019 HR-V EX
153 Posts
As with all modern cars (all makes), low voltage can cause 'glitches' in the operation of electrical systems. Going into a Diagnostics mode all by itself could be one symptom.

If it were ours, I would check the electrolyte fluid in the battery, it often 'bakes out' during the warm summer months of high electrical demand (think, A/C compressor and interior fans on high speeds). If low, fill to the bottom of the tubes with distilled water. (Our '19 electrolyte was down to 'just over the plates' after 6 months/6K miles when I checked the battery two weeks ago...)

Next I would verify that there are no loose battery terminals. (Try to twist without loosening...if you can, take action).

After that, I'd bring it back to the dealer (show that picture). Perhaps they would replace the battery. (They can test GOOD but still be intermittently bad...shorted plates inside, etc.).

Post back with your findings.

Reactions: car4sooznd

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This just in...

While I’m waiting til I can bring the car back to the dealership tomorrow I chose to drive it 10 minutes up the road and back and as I’m coming to a stoplight I get a new indication on the dash (see picture below) from that point on the audio display screen and radio kept resetting, once I was safely in my neighborhood where there are several stop sign intersections I chose to poke the bear a little and come to abrupt stops at each stop sign (don’t worry, no one else was around) and at my third or forth stop I could actually feel the steering wheel lock up like the car had shut off for a split second.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just reporting back in. Before bringing the car back in the second time it proceeded to remain dead so that I was forced to see if the wire wiggle would indeed get me back on the road temporarily so I popped the hood, did just that and instantly started up. So with that information along with my written report with pictures I headed back up to Honda and dropped it off Monday afternoon, and received a call that it was running perfectly Tuesday late morning and it was ready for pick up. I chose not to trust driving it from NY to NJ that day so today (Wednesday) the gal and I headed to her job in the afternoon and two suspicious things happened (the audio display screen turned off completely til I turned off and started the car up and hasn’t happened since and I got a breaking warning when there was no one anywhere near me) other than those two things happening once it’s been driving like it should.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The oddly timed display shutoff and brake warning still sound like loose wires, but specifically from the distributor, where it could affect single auxiliary systems more easily. It doesn't sound like it's anything of immediate danger, but I would strongly recommend that if any of that happens again, you get a video - not a photo - with as much detail as possible to share with the dealer. For bonus points, if you have a dash cam, try to find a way to attach it to the headliner between the front seats to get a clear view of the dash and radio in addition to the road ahead; that would give all the pattern info they could possibly need.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well that’s one thought. But does it explain why I couldn’t use the fob to lock and unlock the doors? And just an update after trying to tempt fate earlier today when it happened yet again I realized I also couldn’t lock and unlock the car using the button inside the door. I believe the problem stems a bit further past the start button.
I have the same problems!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts