Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2018 Hrv-Exl I installed aftermarket 3 x 12" subwoofers n 3 mono block amps and there wired correctly but noticed my battery draining if I dont use my car for estimating say 2/3 days I go to start lights flash n the click click click n have to jump or charge it for ten minutes n then it start please anyone have any ideas why ?? Please help any info greatly appreciated...... can I buy a stronger battery to accommodate the extra draw from Amps

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also want to mention when running car n stereo almost max lights DONOT blight so that's why I didn't add on capacitor

·
Registered
119 Posts
You don’t need a capacitor, modern audio setups no longer use them.

If your Amps are draining the battery with the car turned off. Make sure that your amplifiers are turning off.

Check that your remote turn on wire is properly connected from the amplifiers to the correct power source(12v switched ignition). Also check your grounds.
Use a multimeter to verify this, as These are the most likely causes.

If all that checks out, grab a multimeter and unplug the ground on your amps.
One by one touch the ground on the amp to a known good ground and check for amperage. If you have significant amperage the amplifier is bad.

If it’s not the amps themselves. Test your alternator and check other fuses for parasitic draw.

·
Banned
609 Posts
Make sure the car needs to be on to power on the stereo. 3-12" subs? I used too be a stereo salesman, and one good 8" or 10" will fill up the space just fine...Remember, QUALITY not QUANITY is what sounds best

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys thanks so much for your help greatly appreciated thank you David

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yeah, it sounds like it's connected into the wrong circuit at the box. Different circuits in there activate differently - some when the door opens, some when the car is on, some that are constant power / never turn off. It sounds like this may be plugged into one of the constant power ones. (I am hoping to draw up a map of all that at some point to be used as a reference for projects like this, but I won't have time for something that in-depth for a while.)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi that sounds great to do that for all us hrv"ers I got everything hooked up right I going to trace my ground wire as stated in my past message maybe it touching somewhere I never realized I know you need a good ground as much as power wire but I dont get any wierd static or in out when my stereo on it sounds so amazingly good so idk something got to be sucking juice after car off I just went two full days and this morning dead , ten minutes on my little charger starts right up but I got just start at the basics check the obvious things n go from there I do really appreciate all yr help infact everyone is here to help n I learn something another person same it really a friendly informative great bunch of people here .I am not no major mechanic or anything just a dude that loves n appreciates there ride and thrive to make there car better so thanks David.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Keep flatting out your battery and you will need to replace it, they don't tolerate that too well unless using AGM or deep cycle.

I agree with what's said above, make sure the amps are on switched power.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Keep flatting out your battery and you will need to replace it, they don't tolerate that too well unless using AGM or deep cycle.

I agree with what's said above, make sure the amps are on switched power.
Hey again what the battery number or model cause i really need to get one n u seem very knowledgeable my new problem is that dam annoying engine hum out amp power wire i did everything yr supposed to do Away from rca wires i changed my ground wire itself n location bought the best noise filter for power supply n rca filters even though its definitely coming from power supply i was so desperate i changed power wire n relocation nothing i going [email protected]#king crazy i the type of guy yeah I like my car looking good but I always made sure whatever car I had i had a banging system but i can't figure out wtf going on i using factory headunit in a 18 hrv exl/ nav. I used line out converter from back door speaker i using best rca, wires 0 gauge power and ground wires so dude any help would be greatly appreciated can u please HELP!!! IF not any other hrvers out there HELP ,,,,David

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I think the HRV uses a type 51R, but double check my memory before purchasing new. I went with a mid-grade battery when I replaced mine, it had a lot more power than the OEM.

Did you ever figure out if your amp is switching off when the car turns off? What are you using as the remote turn on wire?

Lots of troubleshooting you could do, here's a good resource: Car audio noise suppression guide — diagnosing and treating noise problems in your car audio system

I would focus on seeing if it's the input to the amp, or the amp power itself. If you use another audio source (like the headphone jack on your phone), do you still have the hum? Do you have a hum if nothing is connected to the input of the amp? Or if you follow the advice of the linked article and loop the input like this picture, still have a hum?

I've had loud hums from bad connections, try fondling the wires at every point (including the speaker taps).

Are you powering 3 subs off one amp? Is it designed for 3 outputs, or did you just jam them in on the same output? Tried going down to one sub?

Lots of questions, but trying to give you a list of things to troubleshoot. Electrical problems can be frustrating.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey bud thanks so much for getting back to me I really appreciate it and as for yr questions first yr right on the stock battery, what did you get cause i need the extra juice, second the hum is definitely coming from power wire 0 gauge tried running it on both sides nothing same hum i bought one of the best noise filter for power supply, checked all the Rca's good enen replaced alot of them went for the best ones n same with rca's splitter, just so I know it wasn't cause a cheap cables, like said i rerouted power wire to passenger and all others on driver side i know the rule don't get power wire n rca's near or cross each other between doing all that n i put noise filter on rca's just to cover all bases the power wire noise filter did help somewhat it pisses me off cause besides the hum it sounds amazing at HIGH volume but just normal volume thats when my subs ain't banging thats when its so darn Furstrating I definitely know its the power wire not rca's i replaced power wire n ground to like i said before yeah like my car to look good but my music is my priority ,when cursing, I done tons of systems but never had this bad experience n iam at my witts end ,to answer your other question I runing two mono block amps to pump 2 x10's kickers n 1 x12" pioneer sub yeah I know its overkill but I love my bass i had same subs n amps in my last car no problem so I know it not my equipment. I even did this trick i saw few videos on YouTube were for engines hum amps wrap a wire around both amp rca's input together and it supposed work saw few people did so I tried nothing grrrrrrr I want to thank you for taking the time to try to help me out oh amps do shut off with car n running standard blue wire to fuss box for the remote turn on ,so as i said any help or advice is greatly appreciated David

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I get it, I miss having my 12" sub but love the trunk space I used to dedicate to it. Getting old sucks :)

So you're bridging the 12" pioneer across the two amps? Maybe try disconnecting the bridge, disconnect one amp, and try each one on their own. Still have the hum? If not, put them back one by one and make it happen.

In home audio setups I've had strange grounding issues with multiple amplifiers on the same audio input. This is why I'd check each one out individually. If they share a ground....maybe try separate ground wires?

I know you tried different RCA cables, but have you tried an input to the subs that isn't at all connected to the car? I'm still not comfortable ruling that out based on what you've tried.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts