Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone! I have to install a lot of LED Light onto my car. And I used a Relay Harness 40A connected to Battery. Do I need to use Relay Harness (30A or 40A)? Between using Relay and connecting directly to Fuse Box when the key is turned on, which one will drain the battery more. Currently I use 2x40W (Total 80W) LED bulbs in Headlights and 2x40W (Total 80W) LED bulbs in Fog Light. Are these 4 LEDs the cause of the battery draining quickly?

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V Touring CBP
414 Posts
If you're just using LEDs in the headlights and foglights, you should use relay harnesses that draw power from the battery BUT are controlled by the normal headlight/foglight wires.

So long as that setup switches on/off with the control stalk, it shouldn't be a problem. Just that amount of LEDs don't even really need a relay. 35W HIDs need relays because they use a LOT of power to turn on, then they less than halogen bulbs. LEDs don't have that issue.

If your battery is still draining, you have other issues.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also installed many led strip lights. Could they draw too many Amps and cause battery drain quickly? Or is the parking lot and car still running long time, the battery cannot charge?

·
Registered
182 Posts
An in-cab voltmeter will answer your voltage and battery questions!

Reactions: Phalkon30

·
Registered
414 Posts
12V is roughly where a battery is supposed to be when fully charged (and engine not running). When the engine is running, it should show 14V or so.

Realistically, it's pretty obvious that you have too many LED strips and it's more than the system can handle.

Unless you want to deal with modding the vehicle's electrical system (HO alternator? bigger or more batteries?), I would suggest either removing some strips until the battery stops draining... or take them all out.

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
12.7 is fully charged...12.0 is almost dead, 12.2 is half charged

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have tried to turn off those LEDs completely and only turn on Headlight and Fog Ligh. When I drove to work early in the morning and after I finished it was already past noon. When turn the key, the car won't start, check battery the voltage is only 9V. I think I will replace a new battery with CCA and Amp parameters higher than the original level. Last winter I was unable to start the car (tried to jump many time) and had to tow it for service.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I have tried to turn off those LEDs completely and only turn on Headlight and Fog Ligh. When I drove to work early in the morning and after I finished it was already past noon. When turn the key, the car won't start, check battery the voltage is only 9V. I think I will replace a new battery with CCA and Amp parameters higher than the original level. Last winter I was unable to start the car (tried to jump many time) and had to tow it for service.
Even if you replace the battery, you might not solve the issue of it draining. Like I told another member, a bigger battery just means you'll last a little longer before it fails for the same reason.

Did you have LEDs installed last winter? If not, were there times you left it sitting for long times with the battery still connected? That allows the battery to slowly lose charge. Or maybe you just don't drive for long enough each time you start the engine and it's not recouping the charge used for cranking.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will check and find the parasitic draw from battery. I watched on youtube and had to see how much Amp battery draw when the car turns off. If it is below 50mA, avoid this cause. And maybe also the reason as you said, I started the car and hadn't been drive long enough to recharge the electricity lost by the cranking. Or maybe I have to start the car and parking too long time. I noticed that when car starting and parking, the alternator does not charge the battery.

·
Registered
414 Posts
While parked, the engine‘s RPM is generally lower than when you’re actively driving around.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I highly doubt your LED strips is the issue if they're tied into relays or a power supply which only turns on when the engine is running. Alternators regulate the battery voltage when the vehicle is running in order to maintain a full charge. If your alternator is faulty, this could result in your issues, but I also doubt that's the issue too.

My suggestions would be, if you still have the original Honda battery in your HR-V, replace the battery but don't replace it with an equal size battery. Get a full size quality battery that this great vehicle deserves and you won't regret it, and you won't even see any difference in your fuel efficiency.

Honda skimped with their battery size in the HR-V model in order to cut weight and improve fuel efficiency. The small battery that Honda decided to use isn't very reliable. In fact, I've had the battery for my 2018 HR-V EX AWD replaced three times already due to bad load cell failures causing starting issues. Honda batteries suck!

I had the same issue with needing to replace the small Honda battery in my 2016 Fit EX too, and there's plenty of room for a full size battery, and that's what I got in 2018 and haven't had any issues since. Here's a video I made showing the small Honda battery I replaced with a full size battery.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just checked and measured about 120 milliampes when the car was turn off. I have to find out where it draw the power and fix it. Must be under 50 miliampe.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Let me try to fix the mA drawing when the car is off. If the battery still runs out, I will definitely replace it with a larger size battery.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I highly doubt your LED strips is the issue if they're tied into relays or a power supply which only turns on when the engine is running. Alternators regulate the battery voltage when the vehicle is running in order to maintain a full charge. If your alternator is faulty, this could result in your issues, but I also doubt that's the issue too.

My suggestions would be, if you still have the original Honda battery in your HR-V, replace the battery but don't replace it with an equal size battery. Get a full size quality battery that this great vehicle deserves and you won't regret it, and you won't even see any difference in your fuel efficiency.

Honda skimped with their battery size in the HR-V model in order to cut weight and improve fuel efficiency. The small battery that Honda decided to use isn't very reliable. In fact, I've had the battery for my 2018 HR-V EX AWD replaced three times already due to bad load cell failures causing starting issues. Honda batteries suck!

I had the same issue with needing to replace the small Honda battery in my 2016 Fit EX too, and there's plenty of room for a full size battery, and that's what I got in 2018 and haven't had any issues since. Here's a video I made showing the small Honda battery I replaced with a full size battery.
I confirm that HR-V 2019+ can only upgrade from 51R undergrond size to Group size 56. Because the space width is only 6 inches. Group size 56 exactly to fit if you cut and bend your battery tray a bit. Group size 56 has a bit more than the 51r underground size, CCA 590, RC 90-100 min. Because my OEM 51r battery got bad after winter. Since I have some mod lights on my car, it takes a little bit of power. Group 56 size is a perfect replacement for HR-V 2019+ because of lack of free space, otherwise I would have replaced it with Group Size 24F battery, tried and didn't fit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts