Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The HR-V is very tempting for me, but the touch controls could be a deal breaker. There's a large auto mall just 5 minutes from my house, so I thought I would go check out some of the competitors and swing by the Honda lot since I saw a HR-V on Thursday and now have some idea of what to compare it to.

1st stop VW: Looked at the Golf, the cargo area is much shorter than in the HR-V but overall fairly close in size. Really like the interior and the controls. 5.3" ground clearance is less than I would like. Manual for the 4 door only in S trim and in TDI models. Seems like a very nice car, probably not as reliable as a Honda but probably more fun than the HR-V.

2nd stop Subaru: Looked at an Impreza, XV, and Forester. Impreza and XV are on par with Golf for size. Increased ride height is good. Talking with the dealer on the lot I asked about 2016 changes. Forester is supposed to get the StarLink infotainment system. He also mentioned that for 2016 the Forester "MIGHT"....."MIGHT" not have a manual as an option!!! Yikes, that the most important thing for me. So, if I want to go with the Forester I had better make it snappy as the manuals are fairly rare anyway. He said in the past year and a half he thinks their dealership has sold 2 manuals in that time! I also asked about the oil burning. He said that he's talked with their service department about it after several customers asked and the service guys told him it effects about 1/10 of the cars. 1/10 is what I've heard from other dealerships as well, so that's probably fairly close to accurate.

3rd Stop Honda: No HR-Vs on the lot but I asked to be able to sit down and play with a 7" touchscreen to see how it is. We must have walked past 10 LX Fits, but couldn't find an EX Fit handy. Did find an EX Civic with the same system. The wheel controls for volume do work great and for changing presets and the source. Anything else the touchscreen is basically needed. It seemed very responsive to me and I think I could get the hang of it eventually. My older Android Motorola Razr M phone paired with the system and played Pandora and I was able to make a phone call. I was also wearing polarized sunglasses and I didn't notice any issues with the screen that you sometimes get, but if the sun angled changed that could have also changed. They expect HR-Vs very soon (next week maybe) and I'm on his call list for when they arrive.

Anyway, an interesting day at the auto mall and in case others are looking at similar competition I thought I would share.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I've always had a guilty attraction to the Golf TDI. 40+ mpg, and most owners report much higher. Clean Teutonic styling inside and out. A perennial 10-best winner. A real class act.

It really fascinates me that Honda is one of the few car makers that puts an angled display on the dash, allowing them to have a pleasantly angled dash. Most other makers make that screen absolutely vertical to avoid glare - which typically means the whole dash is this vertical monster in your face. I'd love to know what Honda's secret sauce is. You know they studied glare and somehow successfully addressed it.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is the Roseville Auto Mall. I will say, all of the salesmen there are really nice (except at Toyota, they've creeped me out more than once)!

·
Registered
48 Posts
2nd stop Subaru: Looked at an Impreza, XV, and Forester. Impreza and XV ... I also asked about the oil burning. He said that he's talked with their service department about it after several customers asked and the service guys told him it effects about 1/10 of the cars. 1/10 is what I've heard from other dealerships as well, so that's probably fairly close to accurate.
Wait, 10% of their cars are burning oil or just the Forester? I thought Subaru had fixed this problem for 2015 models...

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Read the article and more importantly, the four or five pages of comments. The problem is real, affects many models, and persists:

http://www.torquenews.com/1084/why-subaru-s-excessive-oil-consumption-issue-could-spoil-their-party

Yes it is disturbing. Even given the time of the article is a few months ago, the comments of continuing troubles keep rolling in and are very recent.

I did read an article somewhere about Subaru recommending a certain oil because it increased mpg. They felt the need to do this rather than offer a cheaper high mpg model to get to CAFE requirements. This level oil did not agree with good seating of the valves and lead to oil burning.

I will look later for the article.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Read the article and more importantly, the four or five pages of comments. The problem is real, affects many models, and persists:

http://www.torquenews.com/1084/why-subaru-s-excessive-oil-consumption-issue-could-spoil-their-party
I checked out the Forester forum: seems to be a problem in 2014 and some 2015 owners.

Outback/Legacy forums: seems that a few folks have experienced this problem in 2014. So far no one reported 2015 engines burning oil. Subaru redid this engine (which is diff from Forester series) for 2015. Maybe they finally fixed it.

CR also got slammed in their own forums for not asking about fuel oil consumption in their reliability surveys. Looks like they are including it in the next year survey (so no info for 1.5 more years).

Really sad that Subura dropped the ball. Maybe Toyota will give them their engines to replace the boxer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts