Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Many of us agree that the OEM 51R battery can be underwhelming. Unfortunately, finding a larger sized battery seems too difficult.

After having to deal with a dead battery a few times, I decided to try and find a solution and this is what resulted:

Zip-tied to the bumper is a VoltSafe magnetic plug. The VoltSafe plug connects to an extension cord which leads to the engine bay.

Inside the engine bay, the extension cord powers 3 different devices:
1) Engine block heater
2) A battery thermal wrap with a thermostat (The UL Recognized wrap maintains battery temperature at 80 °F (27 °C) for maximum cold cranking amps.)
3) Miniature battery maintainer by Noco to make sure it's always desulfated and fully charged

The VoltSafe plug has a built in timer that can be configured with bluetooth so it'll only power everything a few hours before I leave. The only downside is the timer settings don't have a save function so I need to schedule it every day.

Link to magnetic plug
Link to ul certified thermal wrap
Link to block heater
Link to Noco charger

Before doing all this, I upgraded to the AGM version of the 51R from Costco.ca.

I've also got a CTEK battery monitor connected to the battery so that the voltage can be monitored remotely from inside the house.

Photos:

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V Touring CBP
436 Posts
I like the magnetic plug.

I wonder, replace the license plate holder with something that can flip open like the magnetic cover, then hide the magnetic port within it. Probably more work than its worth though.

As for the wiring inside... uh...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I like the magnetic plug.

I wonder, replace the license plate holder with something that can flip open like the magnetic cover, then hide the magnetic port within it. Probably more work than its worth though.

As for the wiring inside... uh...
Usually I'd be worried too but it's all connected to OEM parts or UL certified parts so it should be fine. Some of what you see is from adding the 2019 headlights/JDM fog lights onto my 2016. It's one of the reasons I did not recommend others to go ahead with the conversion.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The old battery appears to have road salt across the top. That will invite a shorting between the terminals and a drained battery overnight. Cleaning it regularly would likely avoid the problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts