Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2020 HR-V EX with the pictured touchscreen. When I start the engine, a WHITE ICON appears at the top of the Home screen. The Red Arrow points to the icon. The icon BLINKS for a few minutes and then turns SOLID. Can someone tell me the meaning of this icon?

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Looks like a location icon, does your HRV have GPS? It may be blinking finding a signal

My older one doesn't so I'm guessing

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V Touring CBP
516 Posts
Looks like a location icon, does your HRV have GPS? It may be blinking finding a signal

My older one doesn't so I'm guessing

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
For my touring, it's the GPS. While its blinking, it isn't particularly accurate about where I am on the map, jumping around sometimes or being completely off on some road a block away, even going the wrong way.

Around the time it's about to stop blinking, my location will become more and more accurate and when it stops blinking, its usually spot on.

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
315 Posts
Not sure what Honda link is as I don't think it was/is available in the UK. However, my HR-V does not have built in satnav but it is still fitted with GPS to make use of the Honda Connect apps. So even if a vehicle doesn't have satnav it can still be fitted with GPS.

As an side, this would explain why my vehicle was initially sold as being an "SE NAV". :(

·
Registered
516 Posts
Honda link is mostly a ”connected” set of features.

In the HR-V it can show locations of nearest POIs (mostly Honda dealerships) if you also have satnav.

Give you weather information, if it has a connection to the internet (through an app on your phone, via through a WiFi hotspot).

It can call emergency (911 here) if your phone is bluetooth connected.

Give you message about maintenance, without needing phone. Can give recall information with phone/internet connection.

So yeah, those features can use location sensing from gps, even if you don’t have navigation. Though, they’re ultimately limited in what they can do, without a connected phone or WiFi... or navigation.

With the way the unit is made for the facelifted HR-V, I guess most, if not all the hardware for the head unit is the same. The difference (navigation) seems to be coming from whether the APP is loaded or not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Special thanks to Phalcon30 and Goobers for solving my problem. You say the mystery icon is for the GPS and that matches up with past behavior. I have HondaLink turned off so I guess that the GPS has little effect on me - not sure. Anyway I tried to confirm by looking at the HR-V online manual and doing lots of googling. I was unsuccessful. It's a shame that Honda doesn't have a webpage that shows ALL icons for the HR-V. Thanks for all replies.

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
315 Posts
It's a shame that Honda doesn't have a webpage that shows ALL icons for the HR-V. Thanks for all replies.
When I first purchased my vehicle last year, I found by accident that Honda UK had a section for the head unit giving an explanation for how to do things, and what some of the symbols meant, it may be the same for Honda US.

I've attached a link to show how it is set up in the UK, it may be similar in the US:

I have noted that the Honda Connect section has been updated to include navigation, Android Auto, and Apple Car Play, which it did not do previously, so perhaps the US website will receive a similar make over.

·
Registered
32 Posts
With the way the unit is made for the facelifted HR-V, I guess most, if not all the hardware for the head unit is the same. The difference (navigation) seems to be coming from whether the APP is loaded or not.
So, in theory (and I could be wrong hence the question), if I could load the navigation app, I'd have OEM navigation? If so, is there any way to do this? I have Android Auto which always seems to work well for me but having OEM nav would be nice.

·
Registered
516 Posts
So, in theory (and I could be wrong hence the question), if I could load the navigation app, I'd have OEM navigation? If so, is there any way to do this? I have Android Auto which always seems to work well for me but having OEM nav would be nice.
Possibly.

The thing is, I don't know what else could be missing "under the hood."

It could be that the hardware actually is different and there's some navi specific components missing. I haven't cracked it open.

It could be that there's more than just the main navi app that needs to be loaded for it to work. I mean, at the very least, it's obvious the main screen needs to be rearranged to accommodate the button. Is it, along with other apps like Honda Link, programmed to put it in, if its there? Or does it have to be reprogrammed?

My post was just a guess based on a cursory glance of the unit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts