Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I live in a relatively new neighborhood (constructed in phases over the last 8 years or so) and I found out tonight when I tried navi to cross town that 1. My home address is on a completely wrong block, and 2. The next block over from my house has a totally wrong street name. I went through reporting all of this to google, Apple, Bing and Nokia (Apple's back end) 3 years ago when I moved in to get "home" correct on all of those apps. Where do I report map problems for Honda?

·
Registered
751 Posts
Appears they have an ongoing relationship with Garmin, but haven't found anything definitive. Search honda nav garmin.

·
Registered
80 Posts
They sure do charge a lot for outdated maps.

Especially when you can get a better navigation app for a lot less.
This is like undercoating and paint protection to Honda.

·
Registered
221 Posts
This is mostly why I am opting for the EX instead of the EX-L. I have honda navi on my CR-Z and it's terrible.

·
Registered
185 Posts
This is mostly why I am opting for the EX instead of the EX-L. I have honda navi on my CR-Z and it's terrible.

The Navi isn't very touch user friendly like a new phone, It can feel very sluggish and at times not as responsive as you'd like it to be. Sometimes There is delay when changing stations or in between actions (Generally 1.5s on avg). If you don't mind the "lag" then the navi will just fine!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I definitely didn't buy EX-L for Navi, but I've been trying it out. For major trips like driving to the next major city, I'm not overly concerned since it will be better than google maps crashing every 2 hours on my iphone on a 4.5 hour road trip.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I definitely didn't buy EX-L for Navi, but I've been trying it out. For major trips like driving to the next major city, I'm not overly concerned since it will be better than google maps crashing every 2 hours on my iphone on a 4.5 hour road trip.
Oh dear... Which mobile carrier do you have? I have Verizon and use my Iphone to go places like Chicago from Minnesota and never has it stalled on me during the 6 hour trip.

I did however use Tmobile/Sprint and had the same issues ... But Once I switched over to Verizon's $80/Month for 10GB... Everything has been smooth sailings for Google Maps and Data Usage. Never again will I sacrifice connection and data over $5.

Reactions: Donna B

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Oh dear... Which mobile carrier do you have? I have Verizon and use my Iphone to go places like Chicago from Minnesota and never has it stalled on me during the 6 hour trip.

I did however use Tmobile/Sprint and had the same issues ... But Once I switched over to Verizon's $80/Month for 10GB... Everything has been smooth sailings for Google Maps and Data Usage. Never again will I sacrifice connection and data over $5.
ATT, but I think it was a bug in the google app. They release so frequently sometimes it's really unstable so that's where the Honda navi gets a point, infrrquent updates mean you don't encounter version bugs all the time.

Also, I think I figured out the problem. My street is a continuation of an arterial that curves and changes names. So instead of going around the arterial curve you go straight into the neighborhood street. Because it shares the name with the arterial before the curve, it's critical for Navi and map software to have the name change in the bend at the precise spot or it thinks my house is around the bend of the arterial. The rest of the neighborhood seems to plot ok. I may test with a few addresses down the street. Still annoying that it's not accurate. Also stupid city planners drew our streets like they were playing Sim City drunk!

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you live in Canada the Honda NAVI is terrible. That's why when I switched from my 2012 Civic Touring to the HR-V I opted for the EX AWD. It was so not worth it to get the NAV. I updated my Civic in June with the latest maps and it made little to no difference in the performance and accuracy. If you are in Ontario and you search for "Starbucks" it brings up a Starbucks in Dallas Texas. During the 4 years I had my Civic I had this problem constantly when searching for things. Lots of US results.

The sales guy that sold me my HR-V said they are switching to Garmin next year, whether that's true or not I don't know, but if they are it admits a problem I think.

Now I use a Garmin 2557LMT mounted on the left side of my windshield about top of steering wheel height and it's perfect. The power cord runs from the power outlet over the steering wheel out of sight.

I still have to get a cable for my Iphone to connect it to the car, but once I do I'll test some other nav stuff.

Cheers,

Al

1 - 12 of 12 Posts