Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I bought an HR-V EX AWD a few days ago. It's the first car I've had in many years that my kayak would not fit inside. It even fit in my 2009 Prius! I need to get roof racks but I don't have the side rails. Does anyone have suggestions for a brand or a type of roof rack that will fit the car so I can put my kayak on top? Thanks so much!

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
580 Posts
You can purchase inflatable roof racks. The following is a UK link but provides an example of what they are capable of, and what to search for. The Qashqai in the images has roof rails, but they are not using them to secure the racks to the roof:

·
Registered
520 Posts
I find that hard to believe, I moved a 4 bed/2bath 3 level 1600+ sq foot home in my HRV into a small condo. Multiple trips yes, but I fit a crazy amount of stuff in there. How are you configuring your seats? The HRV has one of widest openings and also one of the most flexible seat configurations in any cAr. It’s a cavern in there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I find that hard to believe, I moved a 4 bed/2bath 3 level 1600+ sq foot home in my HRV into a small condo. Multiple trips yes, but I fit a crazy amount of stuff in there. How are you configuring your seats? The HRV has one of widest openings and also one of the most flexible seat configurations in any cAr. It’s a cavern in there.
I measured and it won't fit with closing the hatch. My kayak is 114 inches long. I suppose I could just let it hang out and tie the hatch down some. I've been able to close the hatch with other cars. No big deal.I didn't even think of leaving the hatch open, just because I haven't in the past. Thanks!

·
Registered
580 Posts
There appears to be an official set of Honda Roof Racks specifically for HR-V's without roof rails;

Not suggesting you purchase from the UK, but you could see if they are available in the US. A word of warning, the metal used by Honda is very thin to say the least, I dented the C pillar on my 2004 Honda Civic when using a similar set of roof racks.

HTH

Regards,

HT

·
Registered
549 Posts
I regularly carry my 9 foot 1 inch kayak inside my HRV. A 10 foot kayak will not fit! I have tried. You might be able to fit a 9.5 foot kayak inside, but it will come very close to the windshield.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There appears to be an official set of Honda Roof Racks specifically for HR-V's without roof rails;

Not suggesting you purchase from the UK, but you could see if they are available in the US. A word of warning, the metal used by Honda is very thin to say the least, I dented the C pillar on my 2004 Honda Civic when using a similar set of roof racks.

HTH

Regards,

HT
Thanks!!! 😊

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I regularly carry my 9 foot 1 inch kayak inside my HRV. A 10 foot kayak will not fit! I have tried. You might be able to fit a 9.5 inch kayak inside, but it will come very close to the windshield.
Right. I'm weary of getting anywhere near the windshield, as I have busted two of them in the past shoving my kayak in cars! I tried putting it inside today. It didn't quite fit to be able to close the hatch but definitely enough that I can just tie the hatch down over the end. Thanks for replying!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Right. I'm weary of getting anywhere near the windshield, as I have busted two of them in the past shoving my kayak in cars! I tried putting it inside today. It didn't quite fit to be able to close the hatch but definitely enough that I can just tie the hatch down over the end. Thanks for replying!
I put a a two inch thick piece of foam on the front end of my kayak and it rests in the corner of the dash and door.- a longer kayak would be too close to the windshield. I've already cracked the back of the hatch forcing my kayak in the wrong way.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I regularly carry my 9 foot 1 inch kayak inside my HRV. A 10 foot kayak will not fit! I have tried. You might be able to fit a 9.5 inch kayak inside, but it will come very close to the windshield.
I put a a two inch thick piece of foam on the front end of my kayak and it rests in the corner of the dash and door.- a longer kayak would be too close to the windshield. I've already cracked the back of the hatch forcing my kayak in the wrong way.
Yikes! The foam sounds like a good idea. The car is so new to me that I still want to baby it. I'm so afraid I'm going to tear something or get something super dirty.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Just as in kayaking where there can be different approaches to the same point, have you considered something like this...

·
Registered
580 Posts
If you do find a way to fit your kayak across the front seat, don't forget to disable the front seat air bag.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
If you do find a way to fit your kayak across the front seat, don't forget to disable the front seat air bag.
Yet another item we don't have here in the colonies... The only way to disable it is by having something on the front seat that weighs enough to be potentially a young child, but not yet an adult.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Like a kayak?

Just think, if you'd just paid those taxes like we'd asked, you would have lovely things like an airbag deactivation switch, a 1.5 turbo petrol, and most importantly, the ability to spell words correctly.....;)

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Yes, and you'd have a true British Dutchess who would have understood what she was getting into marrying the prince. We'd also be getting onto lifts and be stuck with huge ugly electrical outlets.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just put a Rhinorack on a 2016 LX with a bare roof and it went ok after I decided not to pay strict attention to their side-to-side measuring system for the front rack. Also, it became workable once I stopped talking to the retailer (Cargogear) and went to Rhinorack directly for support. In fact, if you go this route, I would advise avoiding that retailer.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Thule Aeroblades work great for me. They make a fit kit specifically for the HRV.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts