Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many mm are original new brake pads, both front and back? All of mine say 6mm, and I'm trying to see where it started from. I've seen 11mm all four, and I've seen front ones start at 12mm and back ones start at 8mm. I can't find it listed on honda parts sites. Shouldn't my front ones be wearing more than the back ones? That would be the case if the front ones start with more mm but not if they all start from the same mm. Thanks. No, I won't be replacing them myself:)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Perhaps you could drop into the parts counter at a dealer, and ask them to measure.

If you do, report back here! How many miles on your HR-V?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i can call the dealer; i just didnt want to. i've had to have other things fixed and didnt want to call again right now lol. alot of miles because i drive alot, 65k. yes i'll put it here when i find out. i'm going to take it back to be checked again in a couple months. i see all over to replace by the time it's about 3mm. right now i don't notice any noise or pulling. somehow the exact size of new brake pads seems like the best kept secret. weird.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Replace at 3mm?

You KNOW that Honda OEM pads usually have wear indicators that start screeching at ~1mm...right? If you buy replacement pads when the present pads get low, you will be ready when the serenade begins. :sneaky:

(I like Honda OEMs and the prices are competitive with the quality aftermarket brands, check out online dealers' sites)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i did read that there should be a specific screeching noise when they start to get bad. i just don't want to get caught out. i drive alot and out in rural areas alot.

i was going to ask if the honda brand is better than other brands. i had an old civic that i went forever without doing a brake job on what must have been the (back?) ones. when i took it to Budget Brakes they did not believe me when i said i had not had it done. until they took it off and freaked out "ORIGINAL HONDA PARTS!!!!!!" yes i told you that. now, i dont remember how many miles but probably close to 200k. i'm not planning on going that long with this one lol. I remember something about Budget Brakes did not want to put "ceramic" parts on there, or something like that, but they finally did because that was in my manufacturer specifications. i see "service specials" that have different brands of stuff, but i don't know if they are as good as honda ones, or not. i want to have it done somewhere not a dealer. I think i could buy the honda parts and take them elsewhere to be put on? or is it just as good to do the "special", when the time comes?

thank you!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I’d personally go with a nice set of ceramic pad, oem pads are ok but not the greatest for the price.

Check out rockauto and buy a quality set there. You’ll find something better than the oem pads for probably way less. Just buy from the daily driver or performance section they have, don’t buy the budget section stuff.

powerstop, brembo, akebono and Raybestos are top notch.

Never buy parts for your installer, they always charge markup.

Also have them grease your caliper guide pins and inspect them. Your rotors may need to be resurfaced Or I’d seen shops leave the rotors as is

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just looked up front pad costs from Bernardi. Front pads include ALL shims and Molykote brake grease, $47.24 USD.

Rock Auto has name-brand pads w/hardware for $28 - $47.

On my own cars I don't change rotors unless I'm getting vibration under braking.

·
Registered
151 Posts
How many mm are original new brake pads, both front and back? All of mine say 6mm, and I'm trying to see where it started from. I've seen 11mm all four, and I've seen front ones start at 12mm and back ones start at 8mm. I can't find it listed on honda parts sites. Shouldn't my front ones be wearing more than the back ones? That would be the case if the front ones start with more mm but not if they all start from the same mm. Thanks. No, I won't be replacing them myself:)
I have used Duralast Gold ceramic pads on my 2005 Honda Pilot and found that there is significantly less brake dust on the wheels compared to the economy pads I had been using. Autozone has a lifetime warranty on the pads so free replacements bring down the cost significantly. After changing the pads I brought the old ones back to Autozone and they gave me a new set so now I have a spare for next time. They have a record of the purchase in their computer so no need to save the receipt. I'm sure the ceramic pads perform better but in my day-to-day driving I really don't notice a difference. Have not done a brake job on the 2016 HR-V yet since I only have 20,000 miles but will definitely use the Duralast pads when the time comes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the new honda pads, for my hrv, are 10mm new. i had to take it in to the dealer for warranty work on the start button, and i asked the parts counter guy about the brake pads. he got some out and measured them. 10mm new, each of them, front and back. since mine seem to be wearing evenly, they will probably be down about the same size at the same time and i will have to replace all them instead of just front. i did see something that said that brake pads are now designed to wear evenly, but most people say the front should wear out first.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts