Honda HR-V Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
The front did not look that bad, had the same concern when I saw the pics. The new HRV is low, not much ground clearance compared to the CRV, maybe close to the old HRV. The interior is huge compared to the old model, instruments are clean. This SPORT model is labeled as a Program car so cannot be sold for 60 days so customers can see the car and test drive. I'm sure Honda knows that you need vehicles for people to touch and drive at the dealerships.
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Wheel Car Land vehicle Tire Vehicle

Speedometer Trip computer Odometer Tachometer Vehicle

Vehicle Car Automotive design Plant Satellite radio

·
Registered
103 Posts
It's too bad the only engine option is 158hp and only w/a CVT. If it had the 1.5T from the CRV and a manual, I'd really consider trading up. Now, not so much.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Even with the low power and slow acceleration, Honda is going to sell a ton of these. The previous gen HRV you could definitely tell it was based on the Fit, and was a bit of a penalty box on the inside. The new one gets to share parts with Civic so materials and featureset is going to be better, and I'd expect the ride to be a lot more refined and solid; the previous gen felt tinny, rough, cheap, and kind of flimsy thanks to its subcompact econobox roots. It should also hold up a lot better in the crash tests; the previous gen scored pretty poorly on both the initial and the new side impact tests.

The interesting thing will be to see whether Acura will be able to use this as the basis for a subcompact crossover. There was no way they could have done it with the previous gen (Acura China tried but when I got to ride in one it was painfully obvious that it was not a premium car whatsoever), but this new one has better bones so maybe they can.

·
Registered
2021 Honda HR-V Vti-S CVT 2WD Passion Red
233 Posts
The front did not look that bad, had the same concern when I saw the pics. The new HRV is low, not much ground clearance compared to the CRV, maybe close to the old HRV. The interior is huge compared to the old model, instruments are clean. This SPORT model is labeled as a Program car so cannot be sold for 60 days so customers can see the car and test drive. I'm sure Honda knows that you need vehicles for people to touch and drive at the dealerships.

View attachment 34197
Whoever came up with or approved that grille on the vents, needs a kick from Chuck Norris to the gonads. It will be a right royal pain in the butt to clean the dust out of it. :mad::mad:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got a 2023 ex-l. The comfort and the ride is great. Was waiting for a civic sport touring which has been delayed again. My wife saw this loved it. As a Sr. citizen I do appreciate the higher driving position. Interior is excellent. Having trouble figuring out the electronics and wish the mpg was the same as the civic.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I test drove the 2023 HR-V Sport and was disappointed in Honda's continued failure to provide minor "bells and whistles". I had a '17 CR-V. The CR-V had XM, power tailgate lift, and a HomeLink button. The Sport HR-V does not. Simple stuff, right? My salesperson said that this is Honda's way of creating differences between the models and the lines (and does this to lower the price) but in 2023 I'm looking for these features, especially as they were in my '17. I know that I can get XM through the Bluetooth/Car Play/Android Auto, that I can use my own garage remote, and I can lift the tailgate by hand... but I want all of that included in a 2023 model. It's now almost the same size as the 2022 CR-V so we are considering a "end of the model line" 2022 CR-V which includes these features.

My wife hated the cross-stitching on the 2023 Sport and said that it "looks like a football".

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
1,234 Posts
Honda UK took the opposite approach with the HR-V. They offered most of the 'bells & whistles', but removed the ability to have AWD, even though the 1999-2006 MkI HR-V (not sold in the US) had it.

Their reasoning was simple, if they continued to offer the HR-V with AWD it would steal sales from the CR-V, which in the UK was around £8k+ more expensive than HR-V.

They couldn't sell a bare bones HR-V as it wouldn't sell. Despite the European HR-V having more kit as standard over its NA market equivalent, it still lagged behind what it's competitors were offering; standard LED headlamps, Android Auto, Apple Carpla to brand a few. Even vehicles from the sector below were better equipped.

The ROW HR-V (MkIII in the UK) has an electric tailgate, but it costs £29k - £33k ($36k - $41k), and is still not available as an AWD.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Honda really dropped the ball on this one. No 1.5 turbo, No magic seats, loss of 2 MPG, almost 9 inches bigger and less cargo capacity. On the bright side you do get a nicer interior and improved suspension. More negatives than positives for me.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Interesting insight into why no 1.5T:
According to senior product planner Quincy Tam, it comes down to demographics and existing customer expectations. First, the turbocharged Civic trim levels are more likely to be purchased by male buyers, whereas about 70% of buyers in the HR-V’s segment are female. Perhaps that element is related to the next bit, perhaps not. Either way, research groups indicated that existing and potential buyers were looking for “sufficient power without waste.” Cost is a concern, and they don’t want to pay for something they aren’t going to use. Tam and his team asked if research group participants wanted more power, and were surprised to find that they did not. Apparently, HR-V buyers are different from Crosstrek buyers, since Subaru researchers found the exact opposite.

Can’t say I’m too surprised, since it looks like HRV owners skew much older than Crosstrek owners. It would stand to reason that folks who grew up in an era where 160hp is more than a base pony car makes would find the HRV more than acceptable.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Even with the 2.0L N/A engine, the 2023 HR-V will still accelerate about as fast as a 1981 Corvette with a 350 V8. :)
My 1980 Ford Pinto had 88 hp…my 2022 HRV has 141 hp. Put me in a 2.0T or 2.5 and I’d become as dangerous as Joe Biden in an electric Hummer!! 😉

Zero complaints from this old timer about the HRV - it’s like a time machine on steroids that gets significantly better mileage than the old Pinto! 😁. Just wish it had a manual like the Pinto…

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
My 2004 Accord had a 240 HP V-6, and a 1/4 mile time of under 15 seconds. Back in 1980 when I was a gear head in high school all my friends were throwing all their money into their '66 Mustangs and other muscle cars trying to get them to be under 16 second 1/4 miles. And now, the fastest cars on the planet are electric powered. Go figure.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I'm actually fine with my HP - I would definitely tune it if I could and I will probably take a substantial weight out but just because I can more than I need to really.

The last time I was on some scales it was significantly lighter than I thought so I need to find another scale.

The fox marketing HRV added 15WHP on a dyno with a full exhaust and intake which is very surprising - Asuming its a dynapak they were using that would make the fox HRV about 160hp

·
Registered
2022 HR-V EX
21 Posts
My 2004 Accord had a 240 HP V-6, and a 1/4 mile time of under 15 seconds. Back in 1980 when I was a gear head in high school all my friends were throwing all their money into their '66 Mustangs and other muscle cars trying to get them to be under 16 second 1/4 miles. And now, the fastest cars on the planet are electric powered. Go figure.
Just got rid of my 05 v6 for my 2022 HRV.

:)

zeRep

21 - 36 of 36 Posts