Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, just took delivery of the 2023 model year, already plasti dipped the chrome emblems, dont know why they didnt come in black since the sport badge is black but oh well, great gas milage compared to the pick up truck i had current at getting 25 mpg

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Please elaborate more about the process to make the emblems black including an update later on how it holds up. I’m interested in doing the emblems and grill on my 2020 LX AWD. Thanks.
It is just plasti dip spray can from any hardware store (lowes, home depot) spray it on multiple layers let dry and peel off the extra

·
Registered
140 Posts
Plastidip is good stuff, way more durable than I expected.....I removed and sprayed the stupid red "pillars" they put on the rear of the third gen Fits.....they served no purpose, weren't reflective, didn't light up, guess Honda thought it made it look more CRV-ish??? Dunno, but hated them.... did this maybe 4 years ago and still looks like the day I sprayed 'em. Much better than original

·
Registered
2021 Honda HR-V Vti-S CVT 2WD Passion Red
305 Posts
It is just plasti dip spray can from any hardware store (lowes, home depot) spray it on multiple layers let dry and peel off the extra
I very much like your ingenuity and your handiwork, it sets your off perfectly. 👍

When you say "peel off the extra", what did you do to keep the plasti dip on the badge from lifting off too?
I am not a handyman or DIY'er person, but do like to know how people achieve their outcomes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I very much like your ingenuity and your handiwork, it sets your off perfectly. 👍

When you say "peel off the extra", what did you do to keep the plasti dip on the badge from lifting off too?
I am not a handyman or DIY'er person, but do like to know how people achieve their outcomes.
Thank you for the sweet comment, so since the emblem is sticked on from a heavy duty like 3M tape, that glue is raised from the body of the car, so when you are spraying it on it doesn't create that seal in between the emblem and the glued on tape so when you are peeling it back it doesn't effect the emblem, it'll take practice to do it but since its a spray can you can spray as much as you like, i like to do about 3 or 4 coats to fully cover it. To peel back the extra stuff grab a corner ( its a rubber coating so just rubbing your finger across a corner will make it start to bunch up) and when your starting to peel it dont peel it towards you ( heres the trick) keep the peeling close to the car and pull it away from where you are peeling it from. ill see if i can make a video on this to show you.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
What doesn't make sense for those of us who haven't worked with plasti dip before is why the material is able to be pulled away from the paint, but not the emblem. Do you have to score the area inside the emblem to keep it from getting pulled off and stay just on the emblem?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What doesn't make sense for those of us who haven't worked with plasti dip before is why the material is able to be pulled away from the paint, but not the emblem. Do you have to score the area inside the emblem to keep it from getting pulled off and stay just on the emblem?
doesn't need to score for the inside part of the honda emblem i used a toothpick and started to rub off the plasti dip to get some grab to it with my fingers then i started to slowly peel off the extra plasti dip. pictures above show how i sprayed it on. if you decide to do this its pretty easy to do, just takes some time about 2 hours it took me to do all 3 chrome emblems

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i did quote it wrong, it is not a spray plastic, its a rubber coating. if done correctly it will last a good amount of years.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
I use an automatic wash for my car, the kind that has the huge mechanical brushes to scrub the car. Do you think it would hold up to that? I used to have a local shop hand wash my car until I caught the kid cleaning the interior while smoking a cigarette.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I use an automatic wash for my car, the kind that has the huge mechanical brushes to scrub the car. Do you think it would hold up to that? I used to have a local shop hand wash my car until I caught the kid cleaning the interior while smoking a cigarette.
yeah you can throw anything at the plasti dip and itll hold. those automatic brushes anit got nothing on the plasti dip

1 - 19 of 19 Posts