Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had 4 new tires installed yesterday - Michelin CrossClimate 2 in OEM size for the 2017 EX-L AWD (215/55R17)
I read alot of good about this tire, its too early to tell since its been 2 short trips so far in good weather - but I will post more info as time goes on.

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V Touring CBP
479 Posts
Just had 4 new tires installed yesterday - Michelin CrossClimate 2 in OEM size for the 2017 EX-L AWD (215/55R17)
I read alot of good about this tire, its too early to tell since its been 2 short trips so far in good weather - but I will post more info as time goes on.
View attachment 30734 View attachment 30735
I just saw that those tires were part of a discount sale in Costco's mailing booklet. Too bad I just got my current set of tires some four months ago. Plus, they're not offered in the size I want. :(

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just saw that those tires were part of a discount sale in Costco's mailing booklet. Too bad I just got my current set of tires some four months ago. Plus, they're not offered in the size I want. :(
AND a Rebate if bought before 8/31 - I got $120 coming back to me.

·
Registered
51 Posts
curious why you changed (you replaced stock tires?)
i live in Colorado and want a good snow tire but all weather traction.....
Unfortunately my stock tires have LOTS of miles left

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V Touring CBP
479 Posts
Eh, if I were in your shoes, I'd say... well, sure a set of tires will cost me money and it might be a "waste" to chuck the current tires. But then again, losing control on some snow and crashing would definitely cost more in every single way.

So... is it worth it to avoid buying all weather tires in an area that requires it, just to avoid "wasting" a set of tires?

Well, I did replace my stock tires at barely 6k miles... so, I'm at least a little biased. But I'm sure the argument still stands.

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
169 Posts
There is always the option to purchase a set of All Season or Cold Weather tyres and keep your OEM tyres for the warmer weather.

On my previous vehicle I used to swap my tyres over twice a year, and by doing this I got approximately 5 years and 50k miles out of a set of Nokian WR A3's and Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance. Despite still having over 4mm of tread on them they were only replaced due to perishing around the tread.

Due to a lack of funds, I replaced both sets of tyres with a set of Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons Gen2, these are the tyres I have fitted to my HR-V.

The Goodyear's are a more 'winter'biased All Season tyre (think Northern Scotland) compared to the Michelin which is more 'summer'biased (more Southern England).

HTH

Regards,

HT

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I picked up my HRV on Dec31st 2016- so it will be 4 years on the OEMs soon - BUT i had 2 replaced tires 2 years ago with sidewall damage- and one of those had a nail in it recently - that the patch was suspet of a slow leak. I live in NYC so we have 4 seasons- so i need All season tires - and these were new in the market here (but great reviews in Europe for the last few years) - with the need for an alignment/suspension check, the 120$ rebate and up coming wet season - i took advantage.
Weighing pros and cons over the Primacy that came with the car- I think I made a good choice. The Primacy offers not much more over the CrossClimate2 ( other than being an ECO tire and non directional) for a bit more money, while the snow and slush traction of the CrossClimate is superior. These new tires are legitimately rated for 'severe snow' while not being a true winter tire.
I also like the wet weather ratings it has- so that will be seen.
And it tread reminds me of F1 intermediate tires - which i kinda like.
A 100 mile trip this weekend, and there was no noise or comfort issues with the tread/tire. So far so good !

·
Registered
905 Posts
From a Colorado native's perspective... I drive all year on all weather tires. Unless you live in the mountains, or on the eastern plains, (80% of us in Colorado don't for those outside the state), you don't need to be on the road if all weather tires can't handle your drive. I can get to any ski area for my dose of downhill. I can get around town when it snows. And if the tires I'm riding on can't handle that snow, then I shouldn't be on the roads. We don't get as cold for as long as the northern states. Our roads heat up due to the blue skies we enjoy.

(Stepping off soap box)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Another Colorado perspective; I typically purchase a second set of rims and run summer and dedicated winter tires switching them out in the Spring and late Fall on all my vehicles. My only experience with mountain driving on the original HRV tires was 5 weeks after purchasing my it when I drove all around Summit County with no problems. Granted, my tires were virtually brand new but I was impressed with how they performed.

On my Element, I run Michelin Ice-X tires in the winter and will probably do the same for the HRV within next few months. I'm sure I could do just fine on all-seasons but feel better on dedicated snow tires.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Tread depth makes a TON of difference. I've posted this before, but between my 2004 Accord EX-L and my HRV, I had a year when I chose to drive my BMW Z3. Yes, a convertible, rear-wheel drive, in Colorado for 4 seasons. I put brand new tread on the car and within the first month had to drive to DIA during one of those freak sudden snow storms that CDOT wasn't ready for at the time. I made it from the west side of town, 35 miles to the airport, through 6 inches of wet slop, and had no issues. I may have even done a little plowing myself given the low ground clearance. So, yes, Virginia, tire tread does make a difference.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Those look awesome and seem to be the best of all worlds. Especially since we may ser snow once or twice a year.
Yeah- we get hit with maybe a few smaller snow falls here and there- mostly slush for days thereafter- and the occasional big storm which ususaly happens when i am trying to get home - so i wanted an upgrade to the OEM Primacy this time- and these fit the bill. Very nice on wet roads this morning too. So far so good.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I just put Bridgestone Quietrack Turranzas on for my summer season (Wisconsin) tires. Have had them on my wife's car since last winter and was really impressed with them. They ride a little softer but still grip as well as the stock Michelins, maybe a little quieter too. The snow and deep water handling are outstanding compared to the stock tires, which was my main concern

This winter I have my spare wheels I put on with X-Ice 3 tires, so not too concerned about snow but nice to have in the bumper months where it's hot with snow on the ground

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The Turanzzas i had on my Civic sucked - and swapped out within the first year for Potenzas - Now THAT was an upgrade ! If I had the room to do so I would have dedicated winter tire set for sure.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
The Turanzzas i had on my Civic sucked - and swapped out within the first year for Potenzas - Now THAT was an upgrade ! If I had the room to do so I would have dedicated winter tire set for sure.
That's not encouraging considering I just dropped $1700 between our 2 cars this year into them. What didn't you like? I know they were a huge upgrade over the Continentals that came on our Nissan.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts