Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've clicked "No Thanks" on that annoying popup, but it's back, on every page I visit. How often must it be responded to before it goes away completely?

This site is going to be seeing much less of me if it's permanent. HPH

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
What browser are you using? On the latest chrome it came up once, I clicked no, it hasn't been back.

Do you have something managing your cookies? Or some kind of privacy mode?

·
Registered
523 Posts
I use Firefox and have my popups blocked on most websites. I signed up for the HRV newsletter once, but occasionally the pop up to sign up still appears.

I cleared my cache & cookies-- still no like button. It would be nice to have either a "thanks" or the "like" button back especially since there is now a tally for those.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm using FireFox (latest), with popups and everything associated with third-party trackers (including their cookies) supposedly blocked. Other cookies are on. HPH

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Did you try clearing your cookies? You may only have to do it once more after that.
-Philip
I cleared cookies, cache, and history forever (which means that I'm going to have to renew all of my other logins on your behalf), and it's still happening.

I realize that FireFox isn't the market giant that it once was, but it's still a solid platform that ought to work. And this isn't happening on any other sites. HPH

Edit: FireFox needed to be restarted after the cookie clearing, and now it seems to have eliminated that popup. Thanks for the suggestion. HPH

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Follow-up: After I cleared my cookies, the popup disappeared for a couple of days. But it's back today. So the popup apparently renews itself (and cookies need clearing) every few days.

It's perhaps worth noting that some other sites are starting to do this -- I just had the same thing happen at CNN.com, for example. It seems that, as web programmers figure out how to work around browser protocols, they use those workarounds to be as annoying as possible. HPH

·
Registered
811 Posts
I am using Firefox as well and don't encounter the same issue. Verify that you've got Content Blocking enabled across all sites, including this. Then only selectively add them back in. That should do it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sooo... the cookie that turns the popup off has a time-stamp that expires, sounds like. Thanks -- that explains the behavior, although it's still quite annoying. Further, it's another way in which the site tracks users' habits, part of the larger issue if privacy invasion. I guess that's just the world we live in now. HPH

1 - 15 of 15 Posts