Honda HR-V Forum banner

OBD-II Adapter and App

51K views 70 replies 31 participants last post by  Pgh Biker 
#1 · (Edited)
Is anyone familiar with the OBD-II adapter (that plugs into the car port) and the corresponding iPhone/Android apps? I am seriously thinking of buying a set.

Looks interesting and useful. It provides 200+ real time car/engines parameters, on your iPhone, such as battery voltage, emissions, bhp, torque, Engine oil temperature, .... And can diagnose and clear fault/errors.

And you can build your own virtual dashboard: Digital gauges, Analog gauges. Which can supplemental the HRV instrument set. All for under $100.

Here are examples of an OBD-II adapter, a list of the parameters that can be displayed, and some apps output:

https://www.automatic.com/
https://www.automatic.com/apps/obd-fusion/
http://www.palmerperformance.com/support/supported_vehicles/generic_pids.php

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
I have one, and several different apps but have not tried it in the HR-V yet. I have the cheapo $20 adapter and it worked fine in my Fiat. I will test it out and let you know if it works. I think my current adapter is a generic ELM327 (I think that's what it's called anyway) but I have a better one on order for faster and quicker communication, and it works with iOS and android and my current adapter is android only.

I have I believe 4 separate apps to test with too.

#7 · (Edited)
Reactions: ddemetra
#15 ·
Another option, especially if you really like the Torque app, are the older Android units available from Amazon (some for for less than $50).

This would avoid tying-up your iPhone, enable continuous monitoring, etc.

'Course your car may end up looking like a Tokyo taxi ... not unusual to see several GPS units mounted in their cockpits.

#27 ·
Anybody able to get PIDS for the HRV beyond Water Temperature and Voltage. I am able to read and display these. But I am looking for more PIDs like Transmission Oil Temperature, Oil Pressure...

May be some User-Defined PIDs for Honda?

I am trying Automatic Adapter and LELink BT Adapter, both BlueTooth.
For App, I am trying DashCommand and OBD Fusion on my iPhone 6.

#45 ·
I'm looking for this too. I have an ELM 327 bluetooth and OBD DroidScan and it works well but as another user pointed out it's somewhat limited. This app allows you to add custom PIDs. I'll keep google searching and update if I find anything.

#29 ·
I just received one of these for review on Amazon: PWOW® ELM327 OBD2 Bluetooth Car Auto Diagnostic Scanner

Since the diagnostic software on my first car consisted of listening for ping, and turning an ignition retard dial, this is all very much a new world for me.

I get the feeling that all these ELM327 adapters are pretty much the same (this one supports iOS and Android via Bluetooth), and that the software is the real thing to focus on.

This guide is proving useful: OBD-II: Using an ELM327 and Torque Pro App

For the uninitiated (like me) here are some screenshots from the Torque Pro app for Android:

Re the final image, I googled to find this:

Mode $06 — An advanced diagnostic mode available on most full-feature scan tools for reading actual test values for the noncontinuous monitors. Very useful for no-code diagnosis, detecting pending problems and verifying repairs. Test values for Mode $06 are displayed in hex code, which requires special software to translate or vehicle-specific reference charts.
There is an advanced mode in Torque, but I haven't enabled it, to see if it makes any difference with Mode $06

I think I already know the answer to this question, but I assume there is no way to output from an Android tablet to the dash display on an EX while Torque is running. This would be highly entertaining — but with obvious risks for use while driving.

#30 ·
"Low Energy" are good words to see in the product description, but I have read elsewhere that leaving it plugged in all the time may not be a good idea, especially if the car isn't driven daily:

There are smaller versions that users might be tempted to leave in the OBD port with the plastic cover in place. This is not a good idea, as the BMW electrical system does not shut down after 10 minutes if the OBD unit is left in the socket, and a flat battery will be the result.
I tested my scanner over 2 hours ago, just checked a few minutes ago, and it's still live, even though the ignition hasn't been started since then.

#41 ·
Difference between Wifi and Bluetooth OBD Adapters

A while back I purchased $25 adapter and it quit after about a month. The old OBD adapters generally ran either Bluetooth on Android devices or WiFi on iOS devices (to get around Apple's MFi rules and regulations, but generally did not work on both OS.

#42 ·
Hi guys,

I've bought an adaptor to look at and hopefully clear some faults on my 2006 HR-V. The adaptor pairs to my Galaxy S5 fine, but none f the apps I use establish a link. I've tried the Torque (the lite version, not pro) mentioned earlier and OBD2 Pro Check Engine apps, but they seem to spend a few minutes trying different protocols before saying they can't communicate.

Can anyone offer any help?

Thanks,

Paul
Buckinghamshire, UK.

#46 ·
#47 ·
#50 ·
Thank you man. Appreciate it.

#54 ·
Years ago in another car, I had a Pioneer AppRadio head unit with an OBD II dongle and the Dash Command app, my iPhone was wired to the USB of the head unit and the Dash Command would display on the radio screen instead of the phone. A lot better when driving and safer too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.