Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just picked up a 2019 HRV on a lease and the odometer following 18 miles + a 68 mile commute totaled 183 miles! Has anyone else encountered odometer inaccuracy as noted?

*Edit - I noticed the issue occurs when it's on Econ mode. I put on Econ mode for the first time since I drove it home and it started logging miles too fast. I put up an additional post to see if you folks have this condition. I've reported it to Honda and they want me to go to the dealership but I don't have time for that nonsense. Though I may have to of course....

Thanks

Registered
I recommend a "speedometer" GPS app for your cell phone to confirm that the speedometer is correct.
There are tons of free ones for both cell phone platforms.

If the speedometer is correct, then the odometer should be correct.
The odometer can be confirmed using a GPS map on your cell phone.

If not, your 2019 should be under warranty.

Are you running stock diameter tires?

Registered
I remember from 30 years ago, that it was the law for automakers speedometers had to be within 5% with stock tires...if you feel it is not, time to talk to Honda

Registered
2019 Honda HR-V Touring CBP
Could it be... that there were other things not taken into account?

Could this commute not be the actual miles driven, but "as the crow flies?"

Could it be that maybe someone drove it somewhere else and it wasn't properly included in the tally?

Etc.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
I recommend a "speedometer" GPS app for your cell phone to confirm that the speedometer is correct.

Yes I鈥檝e been tracking using an app called stride and the miles have matched the odometer

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Could it be... that there were other things not taken into account?

Could this commute not be the actual miles driven, but "as the crow flies?"

Could it be that maybe someone drove it somewhere else and it wasn't properly included in the tally?

Etc.
No lol

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
I remember from 30 years ago, that it was the law for automakers speedometers had to be within 5% with stock tires...if you feel it is not, time to talk to Honda
Yes I reported it but haven鈥檛 heard back

Registered
Discussion Starter #11

Yes I have tracked via an app and mileage since has been accurate...yep everything is new

Registered
I just picked up a 2019 HRV on a lease and the odometer following 18 miles + a 68 mile commute totaled 183 miles! Has anyone else encountered odometer inaccuracy as noted?

Thanks
Are you sure you're talking odometer, or trip meter? I had 117 mi on my new HR-V. I got the new car full tank, but trip A was not reset. so, several days later trip A (and odometer) both aligned at 350. I thought I was getting mind-blowing mpg, until I realized it included the 117.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Hi All - Have you had issues with the odometer recording too many miles when on Econ mode? Mine just skips up miles!

Registered
Hi All - Have you had issues with the odometer recording too many miles when on Econ mode? Mine just skips up miles!
In addition to making sure you're looking at the right gauge... what are you checking your mileage against? Are your tires properly inflated?

When I wanted to check if my odometer and speedometer are correct on my Fit, I check them against municipal setups (ie, mileage markers on the highway and multiple "your speed is" signs).

Mileage markers are useful because they have not only the whole mileage, but positions in between to use. I try to keep an eye out on the odometer for when it ticks over, then I go a couple of miles (not just one) to see if the change is the same when it ticks over some other mileage (while avoiding lane changes). You could use the markers for checking speed, but that means you have to keep track of one more thing (a timer) while driving in addition to hoping you can keep a constant speed (preferably velocity, which is speed and direction) the whole time... which is nearly impossible if you're in any amount of traffic with other cars nearby.

Of course the speedometer is easier with signs as all I have to do is see if it matches the dash. I don't use just the one sign, but multiple if I know where they are. Or in addition, my GPS. The GPS is no good if you're not consistent, so it's best in areas where you can set cruise control for it to "level out." I don't rely on only the GPS, unless I "calibrate" it to some radar signs.

At stock inflation, both were wrong, it would register higher than it should (speedometer reads 35, but signs say 34 or or odometer would tick over slightly sooner than it should). Once I upped the tire pressures by about 5 psi, it would match both the odometer and speedometer.

There's a theory(?) that some car manufacturers purposely set up this inaccuracy so that people don't necessarily trigger a cop pull over when they're close to the legal speed limit. As some people aren't particularly consistent with their feet, they tend to go up and down in speed as they vary the pedal pressure. Could be true, but fairly useless in most areas as cops have a "grace" speed of about +5 mph, before they debate on pulling you over. So, you could go 35 in a 30 in front of cop and they wouldn't pull you over (unless you're doing something else that's stupid). And of course you'll be fine if you go + or - a bit at the speed limit. Again, unless you're doing something stupid (+10, then -10, then back at 30 is too much).

I saw your other post about how you were using phone apps to check... I personally only use those as a general information, not for precision measurements. Just like the GPS, there are calculation times involved and small variances can make larger changes. For example, if a GPS signal is unstable, it can read my car moving a foot or so around, even though I'm fully stopped. It can also improperly read my travel around a turn as it measures straight lines in time intervals and not a smooth curve (the shorter the interval, the closer it is to the curve, but it still isn't a curve). Phone apps rely on the same type of information. And if they're using only triangulation of the phone signal with less accurate GPS (which some phones do)... it'll be even worse. We're not at the point where your everyday consumer has a phone w/network to triangulate down to the nearest inch. At best, it's a couple of feet (if not yards/meters).

And this is why I use the highway markers.

Registered
By law, an odometer has to be within 5% with stock tires
Yeah, well, going 34 while thinking its 35 is within that range (less than 3% difference). You'd have to drop to 33.25 mph to be exactly 5%.

You could be going between 57 and 63 when you think you're going 60.

Or, if you want to specifically talk about the odometer, that's +/-50 miles per 1000.

Going back to the OP, unless there's an insinuation that Honda is fudging numbers in Econ mode (like dieselgate for VW), I'm leaning towards an error in the method of measurement comparisons.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts