Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m having an issue (see photo) where the odometer/trip/fuel display is dark when I start the car and then it will flicker on and off with gibberish. Eventually it will display accurately. It started a few weeks ago and I’m trying to trouble shoot before taking it in. I’m guessing it’s either an electrical connection or the battery. The other displays are not affected. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, what was the problem?

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
I’m having an issue (see photo) where the odometer/trip/fuel display is dark when I start the car and then it will flicker on and off with gibberish. Eventually it will display accurately. It started a few weeks ago and I’m trying to trouble shoot before taking it in. I’m guessing it’s either an electrical connection or the battery. The other displays are not affected. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, what was the problem?
Looks like you have an illuminated wrench symbol.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My first inclination is a bad battery, and after the alternator gets the charge back up when the engine is running it comes back to normal. I have a 2018 HR-V EX, and I've already had the battery replaced 3 times under warranty. Honda batteries suck!

·
Registered
57 Posts
My first inclination is a bad battery, and after the alternator gets the charge back up when the engine is running it comes back to normal. I have a 2018 HR-V EX, and I've already had the battery replaced 3 times under warranty. Honda batteries suck!
Yeah, I can remember over the years of owning my new Honda's, and having Honda replace many while under warranty, you'd think Honda would want to do better. While it's hard not to accept a new free battery, I might just go out and get a new highly rated battery instead. I've only had my 2019 HRV LX since January, but in my old 2008 Honda Element, I installed a larger battery, have you heard of anyone doing that on this form? This new larger battery took some minor modifications, but it was worth it. I'm also not sure about if there's extra room in the HRV for a bigger battery.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It appears to me that there's enough room in the HR-V for a normal full size battery, and I've already set it in my mind to do so once the warranty period had passed.
I also own a 2016 Honda Fit EX, and had issues with the battery. The scenario played out differently with that though. I called the dealership to see if it was covered under the warranty and was given false information that it wasn't covered. After posting the issue in here, someone replied back that it should be covered under warranty and they encouraged me to call back and speak with a manager. I called back and spoke with a manager and it should have been covered under warranty. However, as a result of what I had been wrongfully informed, I had already gone out and purchased a full size battery and installed it before calling the dealership back the second time about the issue. To my surprise, however, the dealership did right by reimbursing me for the cost of the battery I purchased to replace the defective Honda battery. The only requirement was that I bring in the Honda battery for them to test it and verify it as bad, to which I did, and the battery did test as bad. So all in all, I'm a happy camper, but Honda batteries suck, lol.

·
Registered
57 Posts
That worked out good for you for your Honda Fit and them reimbursing you for a better non-Honda battery! If my current under-warranty battery goes bad, maybe I'll try to get someone at Honda to tell me it's not under warranty and do what you did! Good to know that there's room for a bigger battery (still haven't had the chance (or remember) to look under the hood), I'll be interested to hear from anyone who does it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have this same issue with my 2016. It typically only happens when it's cold outside. The dealership does their multi point inspection every time I have my oil changed and they always say my battery is good. I'm interested to see if there are any solutions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts