Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen

The OEM battery in my 2018 HRV looks like the old fashioned type with filler caps to occasionally add distilled water to keep the electrolyte level up.

Nowhere on this battery do I see it's the maintenance free type.

And the lack of a decent Owner's Manual doesn't help with an answer either.

What type of battery do /i have?

OEM 2018 HRV Battery.jpg

·
Registered
2019 HR-V EX
153 Posts
And...you should check the electrolyte inside periodically (under the caps), ESPECIALLY after the heat of every summer.

Low electrolyte (distilled water) will weaken the battery and cause a 'no-start' in cold weather...

Reactions: CalgaryHRV

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V Touring CBP
365 Posts
Gentlemen

The OEM battery in my 2018 HRV looks like the old fashioned type with filler caps to occasionally add distilled water to keep the electrolyte level up.

Nowhere on this battery do I see it's the maintenance free type.

And the lack of a decent Owner's Manual doesn't help with an answer either.

What type of battery do /i have?

View attachment 30789
You say it "looks like" the older batteries with filler caps... uh, where are these caps in the image?

As for the "maintenance free" part... well, the manual specifically says you have to inspect it monthly for corrosion on p420 and on the next page it tells you how to deal with it. I know, it's not the same kind of maintenance you're implying, but we all know someone somewhere would claim false advertising or some such if the battery had that label.

Lack of any way to fill it up or even inspecting it, short of peeling the whole top, and lack of directions in the manual would imply that it's not the type for you to fill up.

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
each of the multi caps covers three cells… Simple to pry off...The Honda battery definitely takes distilled water over its lifetime.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pried up the row cell caps and found electrolyte well over the plates. First time I checked it since buy the HRV new in November 2017. Cells 456.jpg Cells123.jpg

·
Registered
107 Posts
After reading this thread it motivated me to check my battery too. Its a 2016, bought it new in Oct 2015. Fluid level is covering the plates and just below bottom of filling tubes. Didn't need a drop of water.

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
Just because you see water doesn’t mean that the battery doesn’t need water. The water should fill in each cell in each cell until the water comes up and forms a circle in the tube… If you can’t see that circle, you need water. Water should be distilled, which you can pick up at the drugstore.

Reactions: Carbuff2

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
614F423B-B0C6-4B2D-86DF-4F989F9E0722.jpeg Like this

·
Registered
107 Posts
Then theres a site that says:
  1. In a fully charged battery that is relatively new, the level can be filled up to the bottom of the filler tube. In an older battery that is not in good shape, the water should cover the electrodes only.

·
Registered
2019 HR-V EX
153 Posts
It is easier to fill up just so that the electrolyte touches the bottom of the fill tubes. THAT is easier to see! The slots create the 'head room'.

Definitely DON'T fill higher than that, or risk pumping corrosive acid onto your sheet metal. o_O

Reactions: mpmn04
1 - 13 of 13 Posts