Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
edit: It's just as tedious as the 7 pages of instructions would suggest. You will need a trim tool kit, particularly I needed the metal pliers to remove one hard-to-get-at snap on each side, the one at the top towards the rear door. You will need some space to pile up all the stuff you take out of the vehicle. Prepare by pre-reading the instructions twice, and making sure you have all the tools on hand first. The weather strip removal and re-installation is actually pretty easy (I was worried), except for the run along the lower rear bumper, it's tight coming out (press down on the bumper plastic), just take your time and don't rip it. When going back in, make sure to press the weather strip firmly everywhere. Otherwise, it's literally just a ton of trim removal and re-installation. The lighted panel easily unplugs (I didn't disconnect the car's battery). For the 7mm holes for the rear hatch, instead of "pushpin, 3mm, 7mm", I was a bit more cautious with "pushpin, awl, 3mm, 5mm, 7mm". It took me about 3 hours on the nose taking my time, but I bet I could do it in less than an hour now. Drilling the 14 holes and attaching the support ledges is also straight forward. Overall, it's not that hard, just a lot of steps.

old: Ours didn't even come with printed instructions, and the PDF on the web is 7 pages and a ridiculous looking procedure (Start by removing rear door trim on both sides? Drill 14 holes? Holy sh*t lol.) I'm either gonna need a video guide, or toss this hard cover in the trash, and get the cheesy looking mesh version for her. Don't really understand this, as our '07 Fit and '20 CR-V both have oem retractable covers, but Honda doesn't offer one for the 2022 HR-V. What's regarded as the "best" cargo cover these days for the HR-V? Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I always look at the instructions first before buying any DIY kits. It saved me a lot of headaches.
Yeah I never expected a cargo cover to be so involved, got caught off-guard on this one. All of my other ones over the years were just drop-in. I'm sure I can do it, but I am not sure I want to commit to drilling permanent holes into the trim panels, that seems ... unwarranted ...

·
Registered
2021 Honda HR-V Vti-S CVT 2WD Passion Red
279 Posts
I like the "cheesy looking mesh version" actually. It is hard to see anything through the tinted rear window and it's cinch to stow behind the rear seat when not in use. Those roll out ones can be a pain sometimes and another source for rattles, the one I had in a Subaru Forester had to have foam rubber pads put under the ends where they clipped into place.

I think I have used my "cheesy looking mesh version" about 3 times in 21 months.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I would agree with what suparoo said.

When I first got the HR-V i was thinking to myself, the cargo cover provided by Honda was so cheap. But in honesty it's all right as the foldable one provided by is easy to use and fold when not needed.

😀 😀 ☕

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
1,302 Posts
Not sure why you would have to drill so many holes, the 'rest' for the Rear Parcel Shelf is moulded into the plastic;

Vehicle Hood Automotive design Car Automotive exterior

I cannot show the rear 'dip' that holds it in place when you open the tailgate as I have the OEM dog guard fitted.

The only holes I would think you would need to do is to the interior trim to insert the hooks for the string that lifts the Parcel Shelf out of the way when you open the tailgate;

Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle

All UK models get the rear Parcel Shelf as standard (haters gonna hate!), except the entry level petrol, which gets the flexible cargo cover. As I would occasionally be carrying dogs in the boot I swapped the Rear Parcel Shelf for the flexible version.

As per Superiors post, it is a piece of weewee try fold and store in the passengers seat back pocket when not in use, and has the added advantage of making a rudimentary front windscreen sunshade.

·
Registered
2020 Sport AWD (Canadian Version)
168 Posts
Why the need for a cargo cover in the first place? Do people leave valuables in their trunks routinely that they need protection? I keep my folded one in a milk crate which I also use to transport my propane tank or crushables in the groceries. Otherwise nothing to steal in my trunk.

I may try Had's idea and use my foldable as a sunshade.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Hadleys Taxi That's not what our US 2022 HR-V EX looks like! That shelf ledge isn't there, it's a flat side wall above the groove. We have to take the side panels off, and screw in from the rear a plastic bit that looks like what is already molded into yours! I can take pics. I got my oem hard shelf from the Honda dealer.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
@xorbe That's bizarre as my 2016 HR-V was built in the same Mexican factory as your HR-V. This would entail having two different side panels designed, manufactured and stored. Different part numbers created for a very similar panel, a different build code assigned for that panel at the factory, the factory either having to remember to fit the correct panel...

With my previous vehicle you could only get folding wing mirrors on top of the range versions or as part of a rather expensive option package (£1,000+) However, it was soon discovered that the factory thought it more cost effective to fit every vehicle that came with electric wing mirrors with the same wiring as the folding mirrors, regardless of whether they had them or not. A quick bit of soldering, the purchase of the correct mirror switch and Bob's your Aunty.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Hmm, looks like they are only set up for the Flexible Cargo Cover.

As I don't see it in your image, I take it the boot 12v socket and lidded cubby for breakdown kit is on the other side?

Car Vehicle Blue Trunk Motor vehicle

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ours didn't even come with printed instructions, and the PDF on the web is 7 pages and a ridiculous looking procedure (Start by removing rear door trim on both sides? Drill 14 holes? Holy sh*t lol.) I'm either gonna need a video guide, or toss this hard cover in the trash, and get the cheesy looking mesh version for her. Don't really understand this, as our '07 Fit and '20 CR-V both have oem retractable covers, but Honda doesn't offer one for the 2022 HR-V. What's regarded as the "best" cargo cover these days for the HR-V? Thanks!
I have the "cheesy" looking mesh one because I can take it out if I need to and allow for more height if I have something big. It slips in and out real easy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
As I don't see it in your image, I take it the boot 12v socket and lidded cubby for breakdown kit is on the other side?
Not sure about the cubby, but there is no 12V socket either. We're gonna try the mesh, and if we don't like it, we'll find an aftermarket hard cover that slides into the existing grooves.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Search:. Honda HR-V roller blind rear Parcel shelf. A number of options came up via Amazon and eBay. I can't post the link as I have accounts with both and they each display personal info even when I sign out or delete it which is annoying.

Here is an image from the eBay link

Font Rectangle Bumper Logo Brand

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
That's four less than the OEM rigid parcel shelf! :p

I have no idea why Honda did not fit the Civics side rolling parcel shelf to the HR-V

1 - 20 of 26 Posts