Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone check if there is an undercover on the AWD models that needs to be removed in order to gain access to the drain plug? I was reading the owner's manual and it said only 2WD drive models have the cover. I wanted to make sure there is none on the AWD. It would be a pain to change the oil if there is one.

This would make more sense why the 2WD gets 3MPG better milage. Usually, the MPG between 2WD and AWD is 1.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm looking at the FWD vs the AWD. What is the purpose of the undercover? Protection? Is it more expensive for oil changes, etc. because the mechanic has to remove and then replace the undercover to work on the vehicle? Would you prefer a vehicle with or without an undercover?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Over the years i've noticed undercovers have improved to have cut outs to gain access to the drain plug and even the filter, some even have doors that take a couple of screws to let loose, hopefully this is the case with the HRV!

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'm looking at the FWD vs the AWD. What is the purpose of the undercover? Protection? Is it more expensive for oil changes, etc. because the mechanic has to remove and then replace the undercover to work on the vehicle? Would you prefer a vehicle with or without an undercover?
The purpose: Better mpg by giving the air under the vehicle a smooth surface to flow over. An added benefit is protection, but since the AWD models don't have the cover, it can't be protecting anything too important.

Added Expense: No. My CR-Z also has an undercover and I don't pay any extra.

Preference: With.

·
Registered
74 Posts
now where do people recommend getting filters from?

also how does the oil change notification work? is it going by mileage? how many of you are going to go by mileage to do your oil changes, and who's going to go by the 100% down to whatever noted by the dash?

·
Registered
446 Posts

also how does the oil change notification work? is it going by mileage? how many of you are going to go by mileage to do your oil changes, and who's going to go by the 100% down to whatever noted by the dash?
I'm a stickler when it comes to maintenance. My '13 Civic I had the oil changed every 5000 miles, even though the oil life percentage was usually 50-60%. I also had the tires rotated at the same time. Local Honda dealer has $12.95 oil changes for customers that purchased their vehicle from them.

Regarding oil filters: obviously Honda is good. However I've had good luck with Fram's upgraded (Tough Guard) filters with my wife's CX-9. I will not use standard Fram filters due to a lack of oil backflow valve, which could cause a momentarily lack of oil pressure upon start. 70,000 trouble free miles so far, oil changes every 5000, with synthetic oil.

·
Registered
12 Posts

From the owner's manual: "Based on the engine operating conditions, the
remaining engine oil life is calculated and displayed
as a percentage."

It's an algorithm that calculates the life of engine oil based on many factors such as mileage driven, temperature, and driving habits.

Driving normally on warm FL weather, I've reached 20% oil life on a 2014 Honda Civic after 5,000 miles. So as a general rule, I change my oil with any synthetic every 5,000 miles.

·
Registered
53 Posts

I have that feature in my civic. At 15% you get a warning that you need to change it soon and at 10% it tells you the time is up. From my understanding it's based on RPMs - so stop and go driving eats up more on the %'s than highway driving. It also only goes down in increments of 5%. For me, it was around 6,200-6,500 miles - which seems more and more common in newer cars.

The honda dealer I bought it at would put stickers up saying to come back at 15%. The local honda dealer I'm near now put a sticker up saying I needed to come back at 3,000 miles. Makes it hard to trust them.

·
Super Moderator
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm a stickler when it comes to maintenance. My '13 Civic I had the oil changed every 5000 miles, even though the oil life percentage was usually 50-60%. I also had the tires rotated at the same time. Local Honda dealer has $12.95 oil changes for customers that purchased their vehicle from them.

Regarding oil filters: obviously Honda is good. However I've had good luck with Fram's upgraded (Tough Guard) filters with my wife's CX-9. I will not use standard Fram filters due to a lack of oil backflow valve, which could cause a momentarily lack of oil pressure upon start. 70,000 trouble free miles so far, oil changes every 5000, with synthetic oil.
I actually followed the maintenance minder. >:D

By the time the oil life at 10-5%, I have little over 10K on the oil. 90% of my trips are hwy. And I changed the oil filter every other oil change. My 09 Fit has over 100K right now and counting. Before my Fit, I had a 04 civic. It didn't have a MM. I changed the oil on the Civic every 10K and got over 90K before trading it for my current Fit. Both used synthetic oil. Wally world is the best place to get cheap Mobil one.

Honda actually has two suppliers for their oil filters: Fram and Filtech. The Fram has a cardboard end cap and Filtec does not. If one has a choice get the better constructed Filtech version. The last 3 digits of the oil filter part #: A02 is Fram and A01 is Filtech.

The true is, if the Fram is that bad. A lot of people would have complained by now. But, I have never used the Fram version. Here is one of the debates: http://honda-tech.com/general-discussion-debate-40/important-oil-filter-debate-2899575/

·
Super Moderator
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
It would be a pain if you do your own oil change. But if I can get an extra 3MPG with the under cover for better air flow on the AWD. It might worth the trouble.

·
Registered
236 Posts
It's also written by where you add the oil.

1 - 20 of 163 Posts