Honda HR-V Forum banner

121 - 140 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
I'd be very satisfied with that. I am confident semi synthetic is good oil, if that's your concern, and will protect the car properly for a long interval. The price ifvthe oil change service is very good. Go for it.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Was on the fence on using the Minder or 5000 miles (option my local Honda dealership recommends). So I called three large Honda dealerships and all three indicated to use the Minder. So Minder it is! For now. ;)

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
Semi syn is fine for these little engines, its more important to just change it in a regular basis. The oil minder uses an algorythm that takes into account type of driving you do (urban or interstate). Its fine to use or if you are an old fogie like me, I'ii use mobil 1 synthetic and change once a year, as i don't more than 5k a year.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Agree. I am using the Minder though my Dealership says to do every 5000. Changes are relatively cheap but figure Honda spent millions developing the Minder/algorithms so it must have merit. My first oil change at 15% was around 7500 miles.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Minder and Synthetics

New Owner 2017 (bought late) and only 2,900 miles and mixed city/hwy use. Minder says 65%. Just thinking ahead but not familiar with these mixed oil-syn blends. What will a Honda dealer normally use?

·
Registered
108 Posts
For around here, it's actually a good price. The oil alone would run around $52 reg.price, $32 on sale. Its the price we pay for being Canadian I guess. Free health care has a cost...

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
Ill be doing it myself at 1500, then every 5000, too many dings, nicks and overfills possible by dealer people who dont care. I have a set of ramps that make it a 30 min job. Prob add a fumoto valve too.
I'll be using what currently is the darling of the hi end car forums and gets rave reviews at bitog.com site: Penzoil Ultimate platinum:

https://www.amazon.com/Pennzoil-550040863-Ultra-Platinum-Synthetic/dp/B00JMCCE4W/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1521207273&sr=1-3-fkmr0&keywords=pennzoil+ultra+platinum+5+5w20

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Can you use 5w-20 versus The recommended 0w-20?

Using the Minder, I am getting around 7500 miles on the full synthetic.

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
Can you use 5w-20 versus The recommended 0w-20?

Using the Minder, I am getting around 7500 miles on the full synthetic.
The only reason they went to a 0W-20 is to get a little bit better gas mileage for the epa/sticker. , I'm not concerned with that. Also zero would flow a little bit better in cold weather (but only in a miniscule way) again not concerned with that in Florida.

These engines are virtually indestructible when choosing a popular viscosity, , you could run 10W-30 in this engine and be perfectly fine for 200k/10years.

And changing a 7500 is fine, on a synthetic you could actually change at 12000 and still have no engine wear. The new syn oils are are a whole different ballgame then what your father and mine used....

Spend some time at bobistheoilguy.com, you'll See why the "oil wars" on forum sites is pretty recdiculous.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I've been told the dealer I use puts in full synthetic.

I've changed with the minder at about 12 to 13k miles, kind of a personal experiment to see how the engine does. So far no issues, I'll let you guys know at 150 how it worked out for me.

Running out of my oil change package though, will be doing it on my own again soon. Is that fumotomo valve really worth it?

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
Running out of my oil change package though, will be doing it on my own again soon. Is that fumotomo valve really worth it?
Valves are worth it if you don't want to spill a drop. Also you'll never cross thread a plug again I change my oil in a condo garage so it's very important that I don't splash or get any oil on the ground in my parking spot. allows me to drain directly into a 1 gallon milk jug to complete disposal at the auto parts store. No muss, no fuss. If you are changing where you don't care, and you can pour the big tray into a Nother receptacle and it doesn't bother you if you splash a bit, then you don't need to do it. Fumoto's are great, the hi-end valve is a german stahlbus brand , google it. Also, always wear nitrile gloves when changing oil, used oil is carcinogenic.

·
Super Moderator
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
Ill be doing it myself at 1500, then every 5000, too many dings, nicks and overfills possible by dealer people who dont care. I have a set of ramps that make it a 30 min job. Prob add a fumoto valve too.

Why at 1500 and 5000? Just go by the oil monitor.

Ramps are not needed unless you have the FWD version. Its has a underbody cover.

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
Thanks .....I know exactly what's needed, I've been under the car twice already. I like ramps a lot more than jacks and stands . I own both. My signature amended to show FWD.

We all have a choice to follow the minder or not follow the minder. I choose not to. I do believe it works, and I think it's fine, I just want manufacturing debris out of the engine after the Moly has done its work by 1500, and then 5000 is reasonable to me to change it. To each his own.

·
Registered
191 Posts
How do you avoid getting oil on the ground when changing the filter? If you use a pan, then why not use the pan for both oil and filter?

121 - 140 of 163 Posts