Honda HR-V Forum banner

Oil Change

134K views 162 replies 71 participants last post by  Low Rider 
#1 ·
Can someone check if there is an undercover on the AWD models that needs to be removed in order to gain access to the drain plug? I was reading the owner's manual and it said only 2WD drive models have the cover. I wanted to make sure there is none on the AWD. It would be a pain to change the oil if there is one.

This would make more sense why the 2WD gets 3MPG better milage. Usually, the MPG between 2WD and AWD is 1.

#6 ·
I'm looking at the FWD vs the AWD. What is the purpose of the undercover? Protection? Is it more expensive for oil changes, etc. because the mechanic has to remove and then replace the undercover to work on the vehicle? Would you prefer a vehicle with or without an undercover?

#8 ·
The purpose: Better mpg by giving the air under the vehicle a smooth surface to flow over. An added benefit is protection, but since the AWD models don't have the cover, it can't be protecting anything too important.

Added Expense: No. My CR-Z also has an undercover and I don't pay any extra.

Preference: With.

#11 ·
I'm a stickler when it comes to maintenance. My '13 Civic I had the oil changed every 5000 miles, even though the oil life percentage was usually 50-60%. I also had the tires rotated at the same time. Local Honda dealer has $12.95 oil changes for customers that purchased their vehicle from them.

Regarding oil filters: obviously Honda is good. However I've had good luck with Fram's upgraded (Tough Guard) filters with my wife's CX-9. I will not use standard Fram filters due to a lack of oil backflow valve, which could cause a momentarily lack of oil pressure upon start. 70,000 trouble free miles so far, oil changes every 5000, with synthetic oil.

#22 ·
I change oil and air filter in my Ridgeline twice a year, once in spring and once in fall. I drive 12-13K a year. My MM is at about 40% doing this. I'll do the wife's HRV the same way. That way I'm not stuck changing oil in the middle of winter.

#26 · (Edited)
I don't know about the majority but I hate depending on some on-board gauge to tell when I need to take the vehicle in for an oil change.....
regardless of the gauge I plan on doing oil changes at a regular mileage interval.

Not sure if that will be 5K miles or 10K miles yet, but once I figure it out that's what I'll use.
I've asked a couple of Honda dealers and some say 10K and some say 5K miles..........just a little disparity there. :eek:

I like modern technology but the lack of technical details from the manufacturers sucks....

#38 · (Edited)
Read somewhere that the factory oil is a bit of a brake-in oil and that it should not be changed until you get the reminder or 12 months, which ever comes first. Exactly the opposite that your salesperson said.

Keep in mind that our 0-20 factory oil is a fully synthetic oil so a lot of the old rules / beliefs can be thrown out the window.

#29 ·
My dealership says I must go by what the vehicle says (or earlier) to keep my lifetime power train warranty through them. I also have to get preapproval before having the oil changed or any other work anywhere but there. (They didn't act like that was very hard - just gave me a sheet with a number to call and said I would have to provide info.)

For the warranty, I am supposed to follow the schedule which will be added sometime at http://www.edmunds.com/car-maintenance/guide-page.html.

#33 ·
My dealer automatically set up/made an appointment for the first oil change 6 months from date of delivery date which they approximated would be the first 5000 miles.
Let me add they've done this on "all" the Hondas I've bought (6) over the years I've done business with them and not once have I made one of their pre-scheduled appointments.
I'll take it in when the manufacturer recommends the first and any subsequent oil changes.
Thank you very much.

#35 ·
FYI, the dealer or manufacturer cannot deny a warranty because you had routine maintenance done outside of the dealer. You can use another dealer, an independent service facility or do the maintenance yourself without impacting your warranty. This is part of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. The only way a dealer or manufacturer can require that they do the maintenance is if they provide that maintenance for no cost. This applies to any warrantied consumer product. I have to say that I am not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV and this is not legal advice.

#62 ·
I know your post is a bit old, but I wanted to mention that the "lifetime warranty" is an extended warranty given by the specific dealership and not by Honda Corporate. Because it is a 'free' extended warranty, they can put whatever stipulations into it that they choose. In this case, they require all routine maintenance to be done at the dealership to keep the warranty valid.

Keep in mind this has NOTHING to do with the regular 3yr/36,000 mile factory warranty.

#39 ·
Just got home a "new owner workshop" put on by our Honda dealer.

Free food and 25.00 gift cards for perks.

I specifically asked their service tech about the initial oil change, and he echoed the fact that there is a break in oil, and not to change this any sooner than 5,000 miles, but Change no longer than the 20% mark.

The 0w20 they use in the service dept is a synthetic blend.
If I want full synthetic, they use Mobil 1, and plan on paying a premium for that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.