Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to change my oil today and saw oil in my under car cowling. I've attached some very poor photos. I didn't expect to see such a big leak on this side of the car. It's a 2017 EX 2wd. Also noticed some oil on top of the valve cover where a hose goes to the air intake. Any insights into where the leak may be coming from? I just seen a post about a CRT cover missing and similar oil leak patterns. I haven't located where that cap would be to see if this is my problem.

Any insight would be helpful. All the photos are from the right (driver's side) of car. From both on top and underneath.
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bumper Trunk
Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Automotive tire Gas Wire
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Bumper Electrical wiring
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Electrical wiring Automotive tire

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 HR-V EX AWD-CVT | 19” Accord Sport wheels | Dasaita head unit | 15% Tints All Around
38 Posts
That looks like its coming from the transmission side. Make sure your Transmission Filler port has the plug. Mine got nocked off because of the transmission shifter cable that sits right next to it.

·
Registered
2016 HR-V EX AWD-CVT | 19” Accord Sport wheels | Dasaita head unit | 15% Tints All Around
38 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Wow thats a big leak, I would say get a can of degreaser and clean it all up then let everything dry up and start fresh. It could’ve had an old leak that might of been repaired and a tech didn’t clean up the mess. Are you the original owner?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow thats a big leak, I would say get a can of degreaser and clean it all up then let everything dry up and start fresh. It could’ve had an old leak that might of been repaired and a tech didn’t clean up the mess. Are you the original owner?
Im the original owners and the car only has a little over 70k miles on it. I do my own oil changes every 10k and there wasn't any oil present then or when i changed the battery back in December. Right after posting i cleaned it out pretty good. No idea where the oil could be coming from. I agree its quite a lot.

·
Registered
2018 HR-V EX AWD CVT
80 Posts
Went to change my oil today and saw oil in my under car cowling. I've attached some very poor photos. I didn't expect to see such a big leak on this side of the car. It's a 2017 EX 2wd. Also noticed some oil on top of the valve cover where a hose goes to the air intake. Any insights into where the leak may be coming from? I just seen a post about a CRT cover missing and similar oil leak patterns. I haven't located where that cap would be to see if this is my problem.

Any insight would be helpful. All the photos are from the right (driver's side) of car. From both on top and underneath. View attachment 33991 View attachment 33990 View attachment 33989 View attachment 33988 View attachment 33987

Any insight would be helpful. All the photos are from the right (driver's side) of car. From both on top and underneath. View attachment 33991 View attachment 33990 View attachment 33989 View attachment 33988 View attachment 33987
It appears to be coming from the transmission filler/vent. Has the transmission maybe been overheated? Or, possibly the plug isn't properly installed. Could also be overfilled. Check the level using the plug in the side of the transmission. Pic of vent below.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive air manifold Vehicle Auto part

·
Registered
598 Posts
2017 HRV, 2wd CVT with 70k miles on it.

As the other's mentioned, check the engine and CVT trans fluid levels and keep a close eye on them until the issue is resolved.
I hope you have been changing the CVT trans fluid regularly.

In one of the pics the rubber CVT trans vent can be seen. I would removed and clean it.
Then wipe everything down and try to determine where the fluid is coming from.

I see some wetness on the valve cover PCV. Not really unusual if you never wipe down anything on the engine.
I would also check all the PCV hoses to see if one has popped out of place.

Since the wetness is above and on top of the CVT trans, I'm thinking it's a valve cover leak.
Not uncommon on any engine with some miles and age on it.
An easy fix to replace the valve cover O-ring gasket and you should set the valve lash once you have the valve cover off.
I would also leave the 2wd bottom engine cover off until you have the issue resolved.

Hopefully nothing serious...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2017 HRV, 2wd CVT with 70k miles on it.

As the other's mentioned, check the engine and CVT trans fluid levels and keep a close eye on them until the issue is resolved.
I hope you have been changing the CVT trans fluid regularly.

In one of the pics the rubber CVT trans vent can be seen. I would removed and clean it.
Then wipe everything down and try to determine where the fluid is coming from.

I see some wetness on the valve cover PCV. Not really unusual if you never wipe down anything on the engine.
I would also check all the PCV hoses to see if one has popped out of place.

Since the wetness is above and on top of the CVT trans, I'm thinking it's a valve cover leak.
Not uncommon on any engine with some miles and age on it.
An easy fix to replace the valve cover O-ring gasket and you should set the valve lash once you have the valve cover off.
I would also leave the 2wd bottom engine cover off until you have the issue resolved.

Hopefully nothing serious...
I just inspected the valve cover to engine interface and actually looks pretty clean. Very familiar with the infamous valve cover leak; I've changed a number of valve cover gaskets for my family.

Good recommendation on keeping the cowling off. I cleaned the entire top of the CVT and the filler port plug. Which is an interesting name because there is an actually filler port on the side of the CVT. Im going to change the CVT oil today just in case. Thanks for weighing in.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It appears to be coming from the transmission filler/vent. Has the transmission maybe been overheated? Or, possibly the plug isn't properly installed. Could also be overfilled. Check the lever using the plug in the side of the transmission. Pic below.
How would I know if the CVT has/had been overheating? I drive the car only three times a week just to and from work. I live in the midwest, so Im not doing any crazy hills or towing anything. But Im definitely going to change the CVT oil today to check levels and get fresh stuff in there. I had changed the battery out back in December and that filler port is crazy close to the battery. After I read about how this filler port cap could get dislodged I was convinced I was going to find a problem there, but the cap appeared to be seated just fine. Should that lever be pointed a specific direction? Im pointing it towards the battery.

·
Registered
598 Posts
There are actually 4 ports on the CVT trans.

1. The rubber fill plug on top.
2. The rubber vent cap on top.
3. The metal level check plug on the front side of the trans.
4. The metal drain plug on the bottom.

Reactions: John35g

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There are actually 4 ports on the CVT trans.

1. The rubber fill plug on top.
2. The rubber vent cap on top.
3. The metal level check plug on the front side of the trans.
4. The metal drain plug on the bottom.
Great info. I also cleaned out the vent cap. I heard that can be a problem for some. Mine was not occluded. I was going to fill the oil via the level check plug, but is it acceptable to fill via the fill plug hole? All the videos i've seen changing the CVT oil has been through the level plug hole. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
598 Posts
There are tons of threads on CVT fluid change on this forum with tons of details.

I prefer to remove the air intake pipe, like you did on one of the above pics, and then use a long necked funnel to fill up the CVT trans thru the top fill plug.
With the fluid level check plug out, you can easily see when fluid runs out of it for the correct amount of fluid required.
Make sure the HRV is level when you do this.

If the engine oil is currently slightly dark and the new CVT fluid nearly clear , this may help determine which fluid is leaking.

·
Registered
2018 HR-V EX AWD CVT
80 Posts
How would I know if the CVT has/had been overheating? I drive the car only three times a week just to and from work. I live in the midwest, so Im not doing any crazy hills or towing anything. But Im definitely going to change the CVT oil today to check levels and get fresh stuff in there. I had changed the battery out back in December and that filler port is crazy close to the battery. After I read about how this filler port cap could get dislodged I was convinced I was going to find a problem there, but the cap appeared to be seated just fine. Should that lever be pointed a specific direction? Im pointing it towards the battery.
I don't know about the HRV but on my daughter's Pilot a warning comes up on the dash when trans temperature gets too high when towing. If you never tow, I doubt that overheating is the issue unless the transmission is slipping. As far as the vent, I don't know if it would make a difference, but mine points to the front of the car. Hopefully changing the fluid and the correct level will correct your issue. There is a YouTube video on the procedure. While you are under there, you might want to look at the trans cooler lines running up to the radiator for possible damage or kinks. Keep us posted.

·
Administrator
1,545 Posts
Does your CVT have a hole here where i circled? Mine does and a bit of transmission fluid comes out of there every now and then. I've checked the vent cap and it's clear, not sure why the fluid comes out.
Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Automotive design Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
912 Posts
every pic here indicated the trans belched out fluid - EXCEPT the oil breather tube at the valve cover. What does the inside of the air filter and filter itself housing look like ?
is there oil inside of there as well ?

and i would also look at the throttle body inside if you can ( and air flow sensor while you are at it)

·
Registered
2018 HR-V EX AWD CVT
80 Posts
every pic here indicated the trans belched out fluid - EXCEPT the oil breather tube at the valve cover. What does the inside of the air filter and filter itself housing look like ?
is there oil inside of there as well ?

and i would also look at the throttle body inside if you can ( and air flow sensor while you are at it)
Good point. While the seepage there is minor, it could be an indication of pressure build up in the crankcase from a plugged PVC valve. A drop of engine oil from the dipstick along with a drop of the leaked oil on a white paper towel will tell which oil it is by the color.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Electrical wiring

1 - 20 of 30 Posts