Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was changing oil on my 2017 HRV and noticed oil leaking down from the side of the engine, thinking the warranty would cover an oil leak as it says its covered for up to 100000km for leaks and seals. took the unit to the dealer and they said the breather cover is leaking and that its a few hours to replace and not covered by warranty. anyone have info on where i can get a break down of what is needed to repair this leak? thanks

·
Registered
480 Posts

if this is what they are talking about....
.... I'm not to sure how to access this part etc. and how to seal it either etc.
looks like a $5 part with a few hours of labor just to get access to it. Maybe from underneath they access it - seems to be at the back of the engine closer to the firewall.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it’s near the firewall. Even access from the underside will be a challenge Thanks for the descripti

·
Registered
2019 and 2020 HR-V EXs
244 Posts
"Engine Breather Cover"? Hmmm

Could a clogged PCV valve cause that to leak? On our other Hondas, the PCV valve can be removed, then 'shaken'. If it doesn't rattle, carb cleaner will usually fix it for no cost.

+++++++++

The other question is, why wouldn't a leak from that be covered? If it SHOULD be sealed, and no one besides the factory has touched it, I would think that it is a legitimate claim.

I'd be asking Honda Customer Service. (Unless, the warranty is 3 years or 100,000 km)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pcv valve is working as required. The warranty is 5 years 100000km on power train. Honda dealer says it’s not covered. I have contacted Honda Canada and awaiting a response

"Engine Breather Cover"? Hmmm

Could a clogged PCV valve cause that to leak? On our other Hondas, the PCV valve can be removed, then 'shaken'. If it doesn't rattle, carb cleaner will usually fix it for no cost.

+++++++++

The other question is, why wouldn't a leak from that be covered? If it SHOULD be sealed, and no one besides the factory has touched it, I would think that it is a legitimate claim.

I'd be asking Honda Customer Service. (Unless, the warranty is 3 years or 100,000 km)

·
Registered
318 Posts
The Canadian Honda Powertrain warranty is 5 years, 100 000km (60 000miles).
The 5 years starts at the in-service date and a 2017 can be close to 5 years in-servce at this point.

However any powertrain warranty, just like "Certified Pre-owned", is very limited.
A powertrain warranty pretty much just covers a rare catastrophic engine or transmission internal failure.

How much oil is leaking? Oil spots or puddles under the car? Adding oil between changes?

Since you changed your own engine oil, I would recommend to jack up your HRV again, remove the lower engine cover if 2WD and really inspect what is leaking.
Clean everything, wipe everything down and really check it out.
Road air flow and the fans can blow fluid leaks around and make them migrate all over.

If you can confirm that it is the oil separator, which looks like it's in an awkward spot, especially for an AWD HRV, you may be able to convince the Honda dealer that it's an emissions device that is covered.

Hopefully it's nothing serious. It's extremely rare to hear of HRV 1.8L engine issues on this forum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Canadian Honda Powertrain warranty is 5 years, 100 000km (60 000miles).
The 5 years starts at the in-service date and a 2017 can be close to 5 years in-servce at this point.

However any powertrain warranty, just like "Certified Pre-owned", is very limited.
A powertrain warranty pretty much just covers a rare catastrophic engine or transmission internal failure.

How much oil is leaking? Oil spots or puddles under the car? Adding oil between changes?

Since you changed your own engine oil, I would recommend to jack up your HRV again, remove the lower engine cover if 2WD and really inspect what is leaking.
Clean everything, wipe everything down and really check it out.
Road air flow and the fans can blow fluid leaks around and make them migrate all over.

If you can confirm that it is the oil separator, which looks like it's in an awkward spot, especially for an AWD HRV, you may be able to convince the Honda dealer that it's an emissions device that is covered.

Hopefully it's nothing serious. It's extremely rare to hear of HRV 1.8L engine issues on this forum.
It’s an awd and definitely leaking from that cover. Not having to add any oil between changes but notice it when changing oil.

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
315 Posts
Is it possible the leak is not covered under warranty due to you carrying out your own servicing?

Up until the early 2000's vehicle owners in the UK had to have their vehicles serviced at a manufacturers dealership to maintain the manufacturers warranty. Around 2003, the Block Exemption Regulation was brought in which allowed owners to take their vehicles to a mechanic of their choice to have their vehicles serviced without it affecting the manufacturers warranty with some of the provisions being that the mechanic had to be VAT registered, use parts to the same standard as OEM, carry out servicing to the same standard as the manufacturers mechanics, and few other things besides.

t did not, however, cover DIY servicing. Any DIY servicing within the warranty period almost certainly invalidated the manufacturers warranty.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts