Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My HR-V barely has 500 miles. A few days back, my oil life was still at 100%. Today I checked it and it had dropped to 90%. Has anyone else noticed a dramatic drop in their oil life? Wondering if this is something I should alert the dealer to. :confused:

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
My HR-V barely has 500 miles. A few days back, my oil life was still at 100%. Today I checked it and it had dropped to 90%. Has anyone else noticed a dramatic drop in their oil life? Wondering if this is something I should alert the dealer to. :confused:
It moves in 10% increments, so that means you'll need to change it at 5,000 miles. Mine did the same

·
Registered
16 Posts
We also are almost entirely highway driving. Our first oil change, we did at close to 10,000 km and still showed 50% oil life.
We are now infor our second oil change at just over 19,000 km again showing 50 % oil life.
I'm just not comfortable going over 10k without changing oil.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I only live 10 minutes away from my office, so the majority of my driving is over short distances. My oil life monitor was at 5% at 4600 miles.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Rhonda & Slippy : You are both illustrating the benefit of the maintenance minder. It calculates oil change based on driving habits; in one case more than 20 kilometers; the other less than 9000 km. That's the beauty of the maintenance minder over fixed oil change intervals. It's an adjustment for those of us who grew up with "change the oil every 3000 miles" but it's one I am comfortable with.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Rhonda & Slippy : You are both illustrating the benefit of the maintenance minder. It calculates oil change based on driving habits; in one case more than 20 kilometers; the other less than 9000 km. That's the beauty of the maintenance minder over fixed oil change intervals. It's an adjustment for those of us who grew up with "change the oil every 3000 miles" but it's one I am comfortable with.
I've never thought about this...but if one made one's first oil change at 3k when going by the minder, it might be 10k and the minder is reset...does the computer in any way 'remember' you changed at 3k or does it wipe everything clean and start all over again and remind out about 10k it's time to change the oil? I guess what I am asking is does changing early in any way effect the natural workings of the minder?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I've never thought about this...but if one made one's first oil change at 3k when going by the minder, it might be 10k and the minder is reset...does the computer in any way 'remember' you changed at 3k or does it wipe everything clean and start all over again and remind out about 10k it's time to change the oil? I guess what I am asking is does changing early in any way effect the natural workings of the minder?
Resetting the maintenance minder sets the clock back to zero.

Everybody: stop obsessing; just do what the damned thing says.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Resetting the maintenance minder sets the clock back to zero.

Everybody: stop obsessing; just do what the damned thing says.
One persons obsession is but another's curiosity.
I'm still curious as to how 'how one drives' influences oil life. I don't recall seeing it in the manual...or that of my old Civic either. I must be 'doing something right' because it took forever for my Civic's minder to get to 10%. I'd...just like to know what that is.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
One persons obsession is but another's curiosity.
I'm still curious as to how 'how one drives' influences oil life. I don't recall seeing it in the manual...or that of my old Civic either. I must be 'doing something right' because it took forever for my Civic's minder to get to 10%. I'd...just like to know what that is.
As has been suggested in other topics, use the forum's search function: how maintenance minder works

Honda Maintenance Minder FAQs
...[T]he Honda Maintenance Minder system... automatically adjusts the maintenance intervals based on engine operating characteristics, your driving habits, and the climate that you have operated your vehicle in. For instance, mild highway driving in a warm climate will maximize the interval between required maintenance. Depending on the vehicle, this could be as high as 12,000 miles. On the other hand, short-trip driving in a cold climate may limit the maintenance interval to 3,000 miles or less. In general, most people who combine city and highway driving find that the Honda Maintenance Minder will indicate maintenance needs about every 6,000 miles. Most people maintain constant driving habits; this means that mileage between maintenance will be consistent.
See also: Oil Life Monitoring Systems

·
Registered
1 Posts
miles and temp gone though

I realize I need to change my oil soon, just got the 15% reminder, but it takes away the mileage and the temp readings. Any way to get those back but still have my wrench reminder light lit, so I can remember to schedule an oil change?

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I realize I need to change my oil soon, just got the 15% reminder, but it takes away the mileage and the temp readings. Any way to get those back but still have my wrench reminder light lit, so I can remember to schedule an oil change?
Switch the display using the selector knob, and it goes away, until the oil life is at zero, then it won't go away.
Unfortunately you need to redo this every time you restart your car.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V Touring CBP
312 Posts
Took the HR-V to the dealer to have it's 2nd oil change at 9 k. Kinda disappointed I'm only getting 4500 miles per oil change... then again, my Fit only got 6 k per change.

What surprised me though was the fact they said the tires didn't need rotating as the front had more tread than the rear.

Hum... strange.

edit: I wonder if it has to do with the tire pressure... more specifically, instead of the higher 32 front vs lower 30 rear recommendation of the door jam sticker, I used 35 all around (also measured by the tire shop when I got a puncture repaired last week). I wonder if that lack of "less than the front" psi for the rear is the cause.

But, when I got the paper work after the oil change, it indicated all four were now measured 33 all around. I don't know if they actually lowered the psi from 35 or if it's just calibrated differently from the other shop. Either way, it's still set to even front vs rear, instead of the rear having less than front.

Or maybe it's my driving habit...

·
Banned
609 Posts
Did you know the oil change interval is affected by how often we use the brakes? Increased use indicates city driving

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V Touring CBP
312 Posts
sigh

Did you know the oil change interval is affected by how often we use the brakes? Increased use indicates city driving
Your second sentence is relatively correct. In that, I do mostly urban driving.

Your first is not.

If it were, I would be getting 6k between oil change like my Fit, since I'm using it for exactly the same reason as the Fit (deliveries in a given area). With all the same traffic lights and stop signs (mostly stop signs).

I have to wonder sometimes...

·
Banned
609 Posts
sigh

Your first is not.

If it were, I would be getting 6k between oil change like my Fit, since I'm using it for exactly the same reason as the Fit (deliveries in a given area). With all the same traffic lights and stop signs (mostly stop signs).

sigh

Your first is not.

The first sentence is incorrect? That is what Honda service dept told me

1 - 20 of 26 Posts