Honda HR-V Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V Touring CBP
312 Posts
I have also read that somewhere. So, you think he knows more then honda?
I don't have to know more than Honda, I just have to know more than the ONE guy you talked to. And that assumes you didn't misunderstand that guy.

How much you use your brakes can be used, to some degree, as an indicator to how long your oil will last, but it doesn't mean your brakes are what actually affect the oil. Two different things.

As for "read that somewhere"... can't guarantee that what you read is accurate, unless you can show citation from either actual Honda engineers (not the service department) or people acknowledged to be the top of the industry.

My nephew once stated "well, that's what wiki said." Right, because wiki is 100% accurate. No one could possibly go in and put inaccurate information.

P.S. anyone can go in a put information, whether accurate or not. Visitors can only hope that any inaccurate information is caught and corrected.

·
Banned
609 Posts
I was curious myself, so I emailed a friend who is a certified Honda technician and asked him...he said brake use does affect it. My HR-V owners manual says driving habits affect oil change intervals. I also read that the temperature affects them (even changing the oil at less than 3,000 miles if needed). Did not know that. If you still believe you know more than Honda, good luck with that God...I mean Goober

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Do the brakes affect the mileage?

Think about it. The MM doesn’t take into account brake actuation. It takes into account how you’re using the throttle. (throttle connected to ECU, brakes are not)....If it records you using the throttle a lot ,up and down .up and down, it means urban driving, it calculates a lower number for the oil change. It’s that simple. Somewhere here I have postEd to be the actual Honda OEM research document on how they made the MM. Do a search and find it. I don’t know where it is anymore.

And do yourself a favor, unless you see it in writing by Honda, or in some type of technical bulletin or a TSB, don’t believe anything a dealer tells you. Especially from a service advisor or even a service assistant service manager or shop foreman. Why? Because Honda trains the technicians to know how to fix the car, they train the sales people to know the car, but they do absolutely no training on the service advisor or even the assistant service manager… So they hip shoot it with what they’ve heard… And many times that is not right. I was with American Honda corporate for five years and then onto 3 other car companies in my career, none of them, whatsoever, train the service advisors on product.

·
Banned
609 Posts
I have tried to find out if brake use affects the oil change interval on the maintenance minder. Honda will not oficially say. Here is a copy of their last email...
Thank you for contacting Honda Canada.
There is some information that I cannot provide as it is proprietary but I can offer the following:
The maintenance minder is based on calculations from monitoring some parameters related to the operation of the vehicle such as but not limited to:
The number of cycles, did the engine reach normal operating temperature? Constant highway speed or stop and go in heavy traffic? Frequent short trips where the engine did not reach optimal operating temperature.
Frequent short trips will result in more frequent maintenance intervals while long drives on flat roads at constant speed will result in much longer intervals. There is no sensor monitoring the oil and there is no relation between the engine oil level and the oil life. Still need to check the oil manually.
i still think it does. I just happened to ask a loose lipped employee, I think.
Please be kind to each other. When someone acts like they know everything, it turns me off. This seems to be something we will never know

21 - 26 of 26 Posts