Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my very first Honda, and it’s also my very first new car, the 2023 HR-V EX-L, Modern Steel Metallic, and I love this car! Does anyone know if you decide to fold down the rear seats, put down a small mattress and sleep in the back cargo area, if there is a way to physically open the rear hatch from inside the cargo area, to exit the vehicle?

·
Registered
969 Posts
Congrats ! - since the 2023 is spanking brand new in the states - and a "next generation" - not too many people on this forum will have any hands on experiece with these 2023s...yet.
the 2016-2022 were built off the FIT platform
2023+ are off the newer Civic platform

again congrats (and the 2016-2022 did NOT have a way to open the rear hatch from inside, by the way)

·
Registered
626 Posts
The 2016-2022 HRV owner's manual tells you how to open the rear hatch from inside the vehicle with screwdriver to trip the hidden latch.

I would be willing to bet that there is a similar way to open the rear hatch on the new generation 2023 US HRV.
Check the owner's manual.

Edit: Wow, the procedure is hard to find in the 2016-2022 Owner's manual.
Honda calls it a tailgate not a hatch. Search on "open tailgate", or look for "tailgate" in the index.

Perhaps search on the same in the 2023 owner's manual.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Wow, the 2023 has an interactive web-based manual. Here's the description of how to do it. If You Cannot Open the Tailgate | HR-V 2023 | Honda Owner's Manual

What to Do If Unable to Open the Tailgate
If you cannot open the tailgate, use the following procedure.
  1. Use a flat-tip screwdriver and remove the cover on the back of the tailgate.
    • Wrap the flat-tip screwdriver with a cloth to prevent scratches.

1. To open the tailgate, push the tailgate while sliding the lever to the right with the flat-tip screwdriver.

·
Registered
511 Posts
The 2016-2022 HRV owner's manual tells you how to open the rear hatch from inside the vehicle with screwdriver to trip the hidden latch.

I would be willing to bet that there is a similar way to open the rear hatch on the new generation 2023 US HRV.
Check the owner's manual.

Edit: Wow, the procedure is hard to find in the 2016-2022 Owner's manual.
Honda calls it a tailgate not a hatch. Search on "open tailgate", or look for "tailgate" in the index.

Perhaps search on the same in the 2023 owner's manual.
In the US the screwdriver method and access hole went away with the 2019 year model.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts