Honda HR-V Forum banner

over 2000 miles still 20mpg in the city

6K views 31 replies 12 participants last post by  Fearturtle44 
#1 ·
Hello guys,

I have 2019 HR-V EX-L AWD and first, my service told me that you will have better mpg once you reach 1000. It didn't work. then told me that around 2000miles and didn't work again. Now, they say once you change the oil. however I have %50 oil change and if I look at the forum, you guys have a great mpg.
If I use it in ECO mode on-off, it doesn't bother so much. I always use below 2500rpm, I never accelerate fastly. (The car also is not a sporty car as you know)
I just reset before the highway and if drive around 50 miles/h, I can barely reach 29mpg. In the city, ( it means, i live in a suburb and no rush traffic, no stop, it is just going a supermarket), I have around 20mpg which is crazy.

Do I need to do engine-break?
Or are those rates normal?

Thank you

#4 ·
How much of your driving is time spent idling? Just because it isn't stop and go, if you are hitting a lot of traffic lights or waiting in line in a drive through, that will impact your mileage. Have you checked the instantaneous mileage on the head unit to see what it is doing? You can watch that trip by trip and see where your mileage is lower or better.

#9 ·
@Dammit , thank you for the point. Yes, I traced it and it gets worst in first start and run, So, I am looking traffic lights as a money sucker :). Even, If i drive 0-30mph very slowly, probably it is around 10-15mpg.

Weather conditions? I'm holding steady right now at 24.5 - 25.5. I started my latest tank of gas a few days ago in the middle of a frigid blast and was plunging down to 20 - 21. With some milder weather, its crept back up to almost 25 with maybe half a tank to go. (this with mostly city driving).
@Plap17 unfortunately, that could be another issue. I am originally from a warm climate country but I live in crazy Chicago. For instance, right now it is almost 0F :) I might need to wait for Spring (if it comes) ??

@Fearturtle44 , I mentioned in the 1st post, I am around 2300miles. I checked the tire pressure last month and it was over the factory recommendation so i reduced little bit to fit with the recommendation. and also the car is little bit bumpy for me (I searched on the forum some other customer complained about that as well). I will wait Spring then it would be a good time to check after first oil change as well.

Guys, I really appreciate all of your responses. I didn't expect such a support.
Hopefully, I can share some experience, knowledge as well (as an ex Toyota owner for many years)

Thank you

#6 · (Edited)
^^ All good points.

Here's what I suggest to folks when they complain about low MPG:

Drive to a gas station, fill 'er up. Take note of the odometer.

THEN drive at least 100 miles without stopping (no interruptions). Before terminating your trip, fill up the tank again. Note the odometer, and the gallons/liters used.

Divide miles traveled by the gallons used. (In other words, don't rely on the cars calculations.)

POST BACK WITH RESULTS. ;):D

Reactions: Explorer83
#7 ·
Weather conditions? I'm holding steady right now at 24.5 - 25.5. I started my latest tank of gas a few days ago in the middle of a frigid blast and was plunging down to 20 - 21. With some milder weather, its crept back up to almost 25 with maybe half a tank to go. (this with mostly city driving).

#8 ·
I would suggest do not count the MPG until your Trip counter has at least 1000 miles. This should be a good gauge for MPG for your weather condition. Then do another 1000 miles gauge in the spring/summer. If you continue to get only 20 MPG, there is an issue somewhere. Tire pressure, too much extra junk in the car, etc. And I don’t think the ECO is a big determinant in MPG. I can only say the button looks nice!

#13 ·
I drive in a burb of Chicago... I do food delivery, so you can imagine I would be doing a LOT of stops and idling. I average roughly 22 mpg per tank in my 2019 Touring.

Driving in the 0-30 mph range is actually fairly inefficient, especially "accelerating slowly." For the Fit, an efficient "low" speed is actually cruising at about 40-45 mph (65-70 for high speed), so the HR-V shouldn't be too drastically different. And because you accelerate slowly, you most likely never achieve any real decent efficiency in mpg, before slowing down again (which is similar to what I go through with short deliveries in stop sign infested areas).

#22 ·
I'd say that is still low. I'm about your same balance of highway and city, with AWD and I average 31mpg, and that is at a mile high (Denver). Even highway driving can vary depending on if you are going uphill or down, heavy acceleration, or heading into headwinds. Going to work I go somewhat downhill and my mileage is 2-3mpg better than my return trip home.

#19 · (Edited)
Sorry to go a bit off topic - don't see a thread or reason to start one. Just to comment: Apparently Honda only stocks AWD in much of the NE. Here in Rochester NY - I could have gone either way FWD/AWD. But, short of a special order, there were no FWDs to be had. No regrets. I've obsessed on MPG my whole life until now. After being stuck in my driveway 2x during an early Nov. storm - I breezed thru the rest of winter in the HR-V. (AWD MPG: Winter/City = 25. Looks capable of 30 once we warm up).

#20 ·
Sorry to go a bit off topic - don't see a thread or reason to start one. Just to comment: Apparently Honda only stocks AWD in much of the NE. Here in Rochester NY - I could have gone either way FWD/AWD. Short of a special order, there were no AWDs to be had. No regrets. I've obsessed on MPG my whole life until now. After being stuck in my driveway 2x during an early Nov. storm - I breezed thru the rest of winter in the HR-V. (MPG: Winter/City = 25. Looks capable of 30 once we warm up).
Uh...

First, you say that much of the NE only stocks AWD...

Then you say, you could’ve gone with either FWD or AWD...

You finally say that you could only get AWD via special order....?

From having only AWD as a choice, to having either as a choice, to NOT having AWD as a choice?

#24 ·
Hello guys,

I have 2019 HR-V EX-L AWD and first, my service told me that you will have better mpg once you reach 1000. It didn't work. then told me that around 2000miles and didn't work again. Now, they say once you change the oil. however I have %50 oil change and if I look at the forum, you guys have a great mpg.
If I use it in ECO mode on-off, it doesn't bother so much. I always use below 2500rpm, I never accelerate fastly. (The car also is not a sporty car as you know)
I just reset before the highway and if drive around 50 miles/h, I can barely reach 29mpg. In the city, ( it means, i live in a suburb and no rush traffic, no stop, it is just going a supermarket), I have around 20mpg which is crazy.

Thank you
I'm less than a week into owning my HR-V and I can tell you for sure that you can't rely on the computer's numbers especially in stop and go traffic. I noticed after resetting that it was decreasing my average while stopped at a light, brake hold on and idling at 600 rpm. There is no way that you are using more fuel than, then when you're driving at 70 mph.

#25 ·
There is no way that you are using more fuel than, then when you're driving at 70 mph.
Well, when you are stopped, you are using fuel GALLONS but not traveling any MILES.

So, your MPG display (Miles Per Gallon) drops. Makes sense?

When you are actually moving, the highest gear ratio with the least wind resistance determines highest MPG.

Reactions: Dammit
#27 ·
The gauge is reading the total fuel used, over the distance. It is not an instantaneous rating, but rather a cumulative rating. So while you sit at that stop light you are using fuel, but your distance has not changed. Miles per gallon. The miles aren't changing, the gallons are.

#28 ·
I keep pretty meticulous records with an app called Fuel Monitor and I'm getting 31.9MPG on a 2018 EX AWD with 52.5K miles. I live in flat, hot Florida. I took a couple of winter trips to Arkansas and my mileage dropped considerably. Around 26MPG. When I changed my CVT fluid at 25K miles it was way over filled from the factory and my mileage got better. I was averaging 29ish at that time. An average tank now is 34-35MPG.

#29 ·
Hello guys,

Thank you
That seems extremely low. I just bought a 2021 HR-V EX and on first tank city/highway combined got 31.1 mpg and on second tank yielded 34.5 mpg for a couple hundred that was equally split between city and the South Carolina mountains. This was using Econ mode which has plenty of pep for me. I’d take it to the dealer and see if something is out of adjustment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.