Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

The Parking Brake System Problem and Emissions System Warning lights both came on today. The LCD screen would alternate between showing the 2 warnings.

It says my Parking Brake is unavailable, but it actually works just fine. It engages and disengages when I push the lever. The car runs perfectly fine as well, went on the freeway and the Cruise control works, the Lane departure works, the brakes work, it still runs smooth with no noises or anything I can notice. Even the Brake Hold system works as normal. But those warning lights were constantly on and the red "PARK" light blinked the entire time I drove it (a solid 20 mins).

I did a quick check over of my wheels and breaks to look for any disconnected/frayed wires or leaking brake fluid. I saw none from my quick look over. Also took a peak under the hood and saw nothing out of place or any wet spots.

I'm very puzzled....

Dealership is closed on Sundays so I'll have to wait until Monday morning to have it checked out. Kinda worried it may be a big issue that may become a major headache. Also worried if I may miss too many days of work if this issue proves to be complicated.

Anyone every seen this or have thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 and 2020 HR-V EXs
386 Posts
Need to provide CEL codes. There must be an auto parts store open on Sunday that is opened, and that will read them for FREE. They could also test your battery.

If indeed you have a REAL parking brake issue, it might be that corrosion (or impacted snow?) is preventing the PB from fully releasing. But that is just a W.A.G.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welp, was going to go to Autozone today to check the codes. But all the codes cleared themselves and the car ran fine today with no error codes all day.

Might see if it comes back and check with the Dealer on my next day off.

Had the battery tested at Autozone anyways just in case. Are these numbers good?

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 and 2020 HR-V EXs
386 Posts
If that is just a battery voltage test, it is fine...BUT.

This chart is a guide for battery health WHEN MEASURED AFTER A NIGHT'S REST. You need a multimeter (less than $10 at Harbor Freight) to measure.

Font Parallel Number Screenshot Rectangle

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If that is just a battery voltage test, it is fine...BUT.

This chart is a guide for battery health WHEN MEASURED AFTER A NIGHT'S REST. You need a multimeter (less than $10 at Harbor Freight) to measure.

View attachment 33372

Thanks for the chart and insight!

I'm due for an oil change fairly soon. I think I'll see if the error code pops up again in the mean time (so far is has not come back). If not, then I'll have the dealer do a check of the battery and its abilities to see if it's still in spec.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Sounds electrical to me, but just because the lights went out doesn’t mean a lot. It could’ve just cycled off. Definitely get it checked by a mechanic if it comes back on, although as long as it’s running smoothly, I don’t think you’ll miss much work.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just a semi-update.

Went to the dealer today to get my oil changed. I got there a bit late and they didn't have time to check and diagnose the saved fault code....guess they need more than 4 hours to plug in a device reader and check.

I showed them the picture of the faults and they said that sometimes happens and it's usually just the actual parking brake switch in the car being glitchy. They usually just replace the switch under warranty.

They actually did a brake inspection during my oil change too. Checked the parking brake cable too. They saw nothing wrong.

I'll probably take it in some other time at the crack of dawn so they have all the time to diagnose it....although, I may just wait to see if that code ever pops up again too. It has been about 700 miles since the fault warning went away. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
626 Posts
These days everyone should have a basic OBDII scanner. A basic one for less than US$50 is fine.

For a few dollars more, a Scangauge will provide numerous functions in addition to OBDII scanning.

They actually did a brake inspection during my oil change too. Checked the parking brake cable too. They saw nothing wrong.

Lol, the parking brake cable?!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lol! Yah, I just realized we prob don't have an actual cable. 😂

They had a checklist and the "parking brake cable" was checked off. I'm sure it's just a generic thing and they hopefully inspected the brake lines at least. This dealership has a good reputation and they've treated me well in the past with the other issues, so I'll give them benefit of the doubt. (**watch me then have to use a truck run off to stop cause of failed brakes 🤣)

·
Registered
2 Posts
The exact same thing happened to me this morning. Parking Brake System and Emissions System Problem lights and warnings came on at the same time. I have a 2021 base model HRV (about 7 months old with 14 000 kms). I have an appointment at the dealer's in a couple of days but was hoping to get some insight before going. Anybody else had these issues and knows what the cause is?

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2019 has been doing this almost since the beginning. It happens maybe once every 3 or 4 months, usually in the winter. I had it checked for codes and inspected and there is nothing wrong with it. After trial and error, I have determined it is caused by a bad tank of gas. Usually the errors are preceded with filling up with crappy gas, a few miles into the drive I will get a "loose gas cap" warning (even though my cap is tight). I know then that within a day it will throw those errors. When I refill with good gas and drive it for about 30 miles, it resets itself. This always happened to me when going to a certain station by my house. When I avoided that station, I never had that issue. But occasionally I would gas up at a station I don't know and it would happen. I'm convinced it's bad gas. If the engine and brakes are working well, I wouldn't worry about it

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey all,

The Parking Brake System Problem and Emissions System Warning lights both came on today. The LCD screen would alternate between showing the 2 warnings.

It says my Parking Brake is unavailable, but it actually works just fine. It engages and disengages when I push the lever. The car runs perfectly fine as well, went on the freeway and the Cruise control works, the Lane departure works, the brakes work, it still runs smooth with no noises or anything I can notice. Even the Brake Hold system works as normal. But those warning lights were constantly on and the red "PARK" light blinked the entire time I drove it (a solid 20 mins).

I did a quick check over of my wheels and breaks to look for any disconnected/frayed wires or leaking brake fluid. I saw none from my quick look over. Also took a peak under the hood and saw nothing out of place or any wet spots.

I'm very puzzled....

Dealership is closed on Sundays so I'll have to wait until Monday morning to have it checked out. Kinda worried it may be a big issue that may become a major headache. Also worried if I may miss too many days of work if this issue proves to be complicated.

Anyone every seen this or have thoughts?

I just had this same situation. They told me not to continue driving and to bring it right in. The were booked as far as appointments go but they were going to try to look at it. My car is at the dealer now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just had this same situation. They told me not to continue driving and to bring it right in. The were booked as far as appointments go but they were going to try to look at it. My car is at the dealer now.
They say the gas cap was loose but a message appeared a few days ago to tighten it and I did. Maybe my gas cap is loosening?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had same issue yesterday. The Parking Brake System Problem and Emissions System Warning were displaying one after another. Right after I drove to another place, turned the car off. And came back from the store, started the car, those warnings were gone. I don't know what happened. Here's how I use Electric brake:
Park: switch to park mode and then pull the electric brake.
Drive: switch to drive mode and then release electric brake.
Is there something wrong with this ?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts