Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2023 hrv for my son. Didn’t get to test drive it before taking delivery. My other son has a Honda Civic so somewhat familiar with driving characteristics of a cvt. If I floor it seems sluggish, engine goes to nearly redline, but not much acceleration. Feels like it actually does better with accelerator at 50%. I brought it back to dealership and they said nothing wrong with it, just the nature of a cvt. Anybody else driven a 2023 Hrv yet? Impressions?

·
Registered
380 Posts
A scant 158hp and 138lb-ft of torque to move 3300lb does not a quick car make. Most reviewers have the real world 0-60 times pegged at around 11seconds. What you're experiencing is very much expected based on physics and the reviews.

·
Registered
969 Posts
91 octane is your friend - the hrv like all Honda's uses a knock sensor to adjust timing.

Add a bottle of octane booster and you will see.

I'm sure AEM will have an intake by SEMA
this does nothing- octane does NOT boost power.
-as a matter of fact using higher octane if you engine is not designed for it- can cause some fuel and addatives to foul your spark plugs.

·
Registered
352 Posts

this does nothing- octane does NOT boost power.
-as a matter of fact using higher octane if you engine is not designed for it- can cause some fuel and addatives to foul your spark plugs.
lol your entire statement is false - octane is the resistance to detonation, there is no engine thats "not designed" for higher octane - that's absurd.

There are some engines that have high compression ratios or timing that requires fuels like e85 as it has a higher effective octane rating. But even those engines usually will accept certain types of unleaded boosters. But that has nothing to do with an HRV anyway.

Also I specifically said add octane booster - if you are already running 93 octane there is no point - the old wives tale about octane booster fouling injectors comes from people running empty gas tanks on 91 octane with octane boosters on top of it. If you choose not to follow the directions on the bottle that's your fault though.

BTW there is this thing called flex fuel - engines that can fun 87 octane gasoline but also 105 octane ethanol just fine, though they do require corrosion resistant fuel lines and pumps.

Here's a thread Hondata did about 87 vs 91 in a stock accord - I happen to know Doug and Derek well enough, they sponsored all our race cars and Derek raced against us for a couple seasons - I've been using Church Auto since they opened probably taken cars there 30x - JG engine Dynamics and Nuformz before that and Protoype Racing before that and Techno-Square and RS-Akimoto around the same time - We used Bisimoto a few times but werent happy - I've been on AEM's Dyno tuning an s2000 and even Autowave a few times. I actually bought AEM's first CAI for my civic back in 96.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I can't wait for what you can come up with next 🤡

Actually I did do some back to back fuel testing that I kept charts for - 89 BP vs 91 Shell with Hondatas Autotune.

This is a TSX with intake and Exhaust already so pretty stout gains.

Rectangle Font Line Slope Parallel

·
Registered
352 Posts
I used to do alot more tuning back in the day but just before FF1 was released there was a massive bust, they arrested 400 people and towed 150 cars to send a message most of them were customers - most of the extras in that movie especially in race wars scenes were either friends or customers, it was even filmed across the street from me in Irvine when I was running the first Honda online tuning magazine before I changed to selling road racing parts. There was too many idiots and thieves back then to keep doing it and CARB was coming down hard on everyone so only personal projects after that.

But I know, worked with or raced against everyone in the tuning industry worth noting since the mid 90's so I have plenty of practical experience to know what you said is complete fabricated nonsense.

·
Registered
969 Posts
you act like the standard Honda computer can adjust and tune like this - they cannot.

so i can go to my local gas station and put 93 octaine in my HR-V and BOOM more horsepower ? Some turbo cars maybe from the factory- but those are limited.

·
Registered
352 Posts
you act like the standard Honda computer can adjust and tune like this - they cannot.

so i can go to my local gas station and put 93 octaine in my HR-V and BOOM more horsepower ? Some turbo cars maybe from the factory- but those are limited.
Of course it can, that's the function of the knock sensor - it works in reverse with cars that require 91 when you use 87

Yes if you switch from 87 shell to 93 shell your hrv will be faster and get better mpg.

From Bosch

“Knocking” occurs when the air-fuel mixture self-ignites prematurely. Sustained knocking causes damage primarily to the cylinder head gasket and cylinder head. The knock sensor identifies the high-frequency engine vibrations characteristic of knocking and transmits a signal to the ECU. The aim is to obtain the maximum energy yield by starting ignition as early as possible. Engines with a knock sensor can reduce fuel consumption and increase torque."

Clearly you think you know better than Hondata the literal experts in Honda tuning - you do not.

BTW I've done some drag strip testing with a bunch of magazines and they all run high octane fuels to get there numbers, alot of other dirty tricks too like shaved tires, removing weight, straight pipes or specially prepared tires - the biggest one is usually a blueprinted pre-production engine or hand picked factory engine.

Pomona cracked down on performance testing and I don't like doing it at AAA speedway since its some BS tricks there too, tailwind is a common one as is altitude correction (its at 1200 feet) and roll out tricks.

Even in the comments to the articles people posted the failure in thier methods - only on a dyno back to back can you account for variables.

·
Registered
352 Posts
The 1st gen g35 was the first time I remember an auto manufacturer talking about this - it's in their manual

*Sedan - Automatic Transmission models . . . Use unleaded regular gasoline with an octane rating of at least 87 AKI (Anti-Knock Index) number (Research octane number91).

For improved vehicle performance, Infiniti recommends the use of unleaded premium gasoline with an octane rating of at least 91 AKI number (Research octane number 96).

*Sedan - Manual transmission and Coupe models . . . Use unleaded premium gasoline with an octane rating of at least 91 AKI (Anti-Knock Index) number (Research octane number 96).

If premium gasoline is not available, unleaded regular gasoline with an octane rating of 87 AKI number (Research octane number 91) may be temporarily used, but only under the following precautions:

- Have the fuel tank filled only partially with unleaded regular gasoline, and fill up with unleaded premium gasoline as soon as possible.

- Avoid full throttle driving and abrupt acceleration.

However, for maximum vehicle performance , the use of unleaded premium gasoline is recommended.

Caution: Using a fuel other than that specified could adversely affect the emission control system, and may also affect the warranty coverage.

Under no circumstances should a leaded gasoline be used, because this will danage the three-way catalyst.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Switching from 91 to 87 in my HR-V cuts MPG by 7% ish, although I have only run 87 once when I was crossing the US last winter and the Shell station was gone and I had to go to Racetrack. I've also run 89 non ethanol and that was not good either.

I actually wonder how it is you think think the HRV can go from -250 feet below sea level at 120 degrees F to 8800 feet above sea level at 65 degrees F on the same tank of gas and not break down if the computer can't make changes to ignition timing. Mecca to Onyx is only 110 miles

-246 to + 8800 feet

Water resources Ecoregion World Map Slope

And the drop between 8800 and 1400 is only 35 miles

Water resources Ecoregion World Map Slope

·
Registered
352 Posts
BTW this is one of the places where Honda and all auto manufacturers test fuel and performance as it has the most curves and sharpest elevation gain as well as the most radical temperature changes under load, I've been up this many times.

Ecoregion World Map Font Screenshot

1 - 16 of 16 Posts