Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my escape I had a custom tune that helped with performance, I used the sct programmer that came with 3 custom tunes. Anything like this available for the HRV?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
On my escape I had a custom tune that helped with performance, I used the sct programmer that came with 3 custom tunes. Anything like this available for the HRV?
The only thing I have seen is this: Innovative Performance Chip/Power Programmer for Honda HR-V 1.8L

I'm highly skeptical of the claims:

Boost your Honda HR-V's horsepower, torque, throttle response and fuel economy with the advanced Innovative Performance Chip! Safely gain up to +35 HP and up to +5 MPG....
My default response is show me the dyno chart. For another product, they do. Note the caption:

·
Registered
371 Posts
With Hondata you might see an extra 1-2 hp. If you're lucky.

The R18 engine won't make any more power with any sort of tunes or bolt ons short of going forced induction. This engine is purely meant for efficiency, performance be damned. People have tried squeezing more power out of this mill for the past 10 years and the consensus is that it's just not possible.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a KTuner that I purchased when I had my Civic. It was the 2.0, so not a lot of power there either. I bought the Ktuner not to try and turn it into a race/trace car, but for the other benifits. Throttle response, shift points, adding some aggression to the fuel map. Before the tune the car was jumpy, erratic, not very responsive, and unpredictable. It would lose power when making a turn under acceleration, would only get to the higher RPM's ( anything over 3,500 - 4,000) without first ramping up to it(this seemed to totally destroy one aspect of what the cvt could assist with when you request it). You could drive around in sport all the time, but then you spent the entire time in or closer to the mid rpm range and that just wasn't practical.

The tune from KTuner seemed to straighten almost all of that out except for a little bit of the "jumpyness" when you get on the brake really quick right after starting to accelerate in a "spirited" manner. But that is to be expected due to the nature of the CVT.

The vehicle went from night to day. With the tune it was responsive, had a linear acceleration that didn't make it feel like you were climbing a ladder, It was quicker(not fast, but quicker) and allowed for more of a sportier and fulfilling driving experience. It pulled when accelerating while turning a corner instead of falling flat on it's face.

There really was no downside to it. Gas mileage was not compromised unless I kept my foot in it, there wasn't any transmission slippage of any kind. As a matter of fact it probably helped to preserve the cvt a little as the factory tune made it jerky which I'm sure put a strain on that transmission every time the ratio of the CVT would change in mid-drive. Now that the engine and transmission were more in tune/sync with one another that really wasn't an issue.

So there were some major improvements made over the factory tune. I realize that the KTuner units can seem a little pricey, but IMHO it was worth it. After having the Civic for a few days I started to hate it due to all of the reasons listed above. It was almost a chore to drive.

Unfortunately, there is not a tune yet available for the HR-V from KTuner, but it is in the works.

·
Registered
2019 Honda HRV Sport AWD
56 Posts
So on my 2019 HRV Sport AWD, I installed a cat back exhaust and a cold air intake. Also planning on installing headers so will that tuner add >15 at least?

·
Registered
196 Posts
So on my 2019 HRV Sport AWD, I installed a cat back exhaust and a cold air intake. Also planning on installing headers so will that tuner add >15 at least?

Well, like most modern Honda engines, the exhaust manifold is integrated into the head, so there is no way to install headers.
Even a catless downpipe would be impossible since there are no programmers for the HRV to disable the ECM catalytic convertor monitoring.

It is highly unlikely that Ktuner or Hondata will ever support the low performance naturally aspirated HRV 1.8L engine.

A cat back exhaust will not improve performance.

The OEM HRV intake is a cold air intake but I can see with my Scangauge that the intake air temps on the HRV are very high.
It is likely because of the huge useless air intake resonator. The aftermarket AEM cold air intake will likely cure this but it is pricey and kinda mickey mouse IMO.
Reducing intake air temps is a good thing to do but it won't improve engine performance measurably.

My thoughts are to modify the stock HRV air intake. Get rid of the huge resonator, keep the stock air filter and air box. Route a pipe to the entry of the stock airbox. Straight shot, cold air and no resonator.
Hopefully there will be no intake drone with this mod.

I hate the exhaust resonator under the passenger door. Cut it out and put a straight piece of pipe.
I'm sure it's a straight thru resonator which has no restriction, therefore no performance gain.

But getting rid of the resonator may add a bit of burble to the exhaust tone and hopefully no drone.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Ac
Well, like most modern Honda engines, the exhaust manifold is integrated into the head, so there is no way to install headers.
Even a catless downpipe would be impossible since there are no programmers for the HRV to disable the ECM catalytic convertor monitoring.

It is highly unlikely that Ktuner or Hondata will ever support the low performance naturally aspirated HRV 1.8L engine.

The OEM HRV intake is a cold air intake but I can see with my Scangauge that the intake air temps on the HRV are very high.
It is likely because of the huge useless air intake resonator. The aftermarket AEM cold air intake will likely cure this but it is pricey and kinda mickey mouse IMO.
Reducing intake air temps is a good thing to do but it won't improve engine performance measurably.

My thoughts are to modify the stock HRV air intake. Get rid of the huge resonator, keep the stock air filter and air box. Route a pipe to the entry of the stock airbox. Straight shot, cold air and no resonator.

I hate the exhaust resonator under the passenger door. Cut it out and put a straight piece of pipe.
I'm sure it's a straight thru resonator which has no restriction, therefore no performance gain.

But getting rid of the resonator may add a bit of burble to the exhaust tone and hopefully no drone.
Actually- Hondata does have a programmer for the R18 already- just for the 8th gen Civics. I have no clue if it would be usable for the HR-V, in any capacity.

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V LX CVT AWD. Crystal Black Perl with many many mods!
92 Posts
heres what we need for our cars - Full-Race Civic R18 Turbo Kit FAQ • Full Race

" fast spooling ~270whp at 8-9 psi boost on a 100% stock engine and pump gas and 300+whp at 12psi on the same setup. If you are looking for a reliable and fun turbo setup, this is the one. Great on the dragstrip, road course and street. Oil and Watercooled, fittings/lines included. 3″ exhaust recommended. This turbo is capable of putting an R18 civic into the 12 second 1/4 mile range. " :love:

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V LX CVT AWD. Crystal Black Perl with many many mods!
92 Posts
Yes it most certainly would detonate the HR-V's toaster box CVT but still those few seconds before it blows up would be something spectacular!!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Actually- Hondata does have a programmer for the R18 already- just for the 8th gen Civics. I have no clue if it would be usable for the HR-V, in any capacity.
That came up on another thread which I totally forgot about. Thanks for correcting me!

·
Registered
2019 Honda HRV Sport AWD
56 Posts
How did that work out for you?
It felt it had a little more giddy up with the CAI but not much of a difference in terms of acceleration. Though the exhaust does sound nice u like those civics with a trumpet sound. I got a “fart can” and took out the resonator and it still sound deep and rumbly. Had it for about a year now with the CAI and its still running nice.

·
Registered
2019 Honda HRV Sport AWD
56 Posts

I already took out the resonator. It just drones if I drive in automatic but if I shift in sport, there is no drone. Also when I was looking at headers, I found one on this website that also gave instructions to install. I recently saw a few chip tuners popping up claiming “35 hp” gains as well as well as saving an extra “9 mpg.” Not sure if it’s true or not.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I already took out the resonator. It just drones if I drive in automatic but if I shift in sport, there is no drone. Also when I was looking at headers, I found one on this website that also gave instructions to install. I recently saw a few chip tuners popping up claiming “35 hp” gains as well as well as saving an extra “9 mpg.” Not sure if it’s true or not.

Do you mean the air intake resonator or the exhaust resonator under the front passenger door?

I removed the air intake resonator (both the large and small one) and the throttle body coolant heater bypassed for several weeks now with no drone issues.
There has been no difference in drivability nor in sound at all.

I have not removed the exhaust resonator but considering it.

·
Registered
2019 Honda HRV Sport AWD
56 Posts
Do you mean the air intake resonator or the exhaust resonator under the front passenger door?

I removed the air intake resonator (both the large and small one) and the throttle body coolant heater bypassed for several weeks now with no drone issues.
There has been no difference in drivability nor in sound at all.

I have not removed the exhaust resonator but considering it.
I only removed the exhaust resonator and it still drones. I dont know if I removed the air filter resonator since I replaced the whole thing with a CAI

·
Registered
196 Posts
I only removed the exhaust resonator and it still drones. I dont know if I removed the air filter resonator since I replaced the whole thing with a CAI

Which cold air intake do you have installed? AEM? The AEM CAI deletes the small upper air resonator and bypasses the large lower air intake resonator.

Which cat back exhaust do you have installed? I think the available aftermarket exhausts for the HRV are axle back ie. resonator back.

·
Registered
2019 Honda HRV Sport AWD
56 Posts
Which cold air intake do you have installed? AEM? The AEM CAI deletes the small upper air resonator and bypasses the large lower air intake resonator.

Which cat back exhaust do you have installed? I think the available aftermarket exhausts for the HRV are axle back ie. resonator back.
I got an AEM CAI and I only got a muffler not a whole exhaust system. Though I did get the resonator removed.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts