Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow .....what a day! Ended actually experiencing part of the training session that took place around the car. Also had a lot of time alone so I could really explore the car.

Did a lot of checking on things you asked about, and more.

Kudos to Daniela of Showcase Honda in Phoenix. She was so gracious about me spending 3 plus hours there. She gave me an HR-V Sales Training Guide with a lot of information. Cool.

The car was a black EX-L. That color doesn't photograph well but Frankie the Honda Rep honored my request to move it outside for "beauty shots". She was also very nice.....I thought she might not appreciate a non-dealer person hanging around but she was great.

Pictures later......now on to info.....

One of the most startling things was ground clearance. One of the trainees must have asked about it, because Frankie used my tape measure and went under the car. She discovered what I later confirmed in the Training Guide.

The AWD has a LOWER ground clearance than the 2WD!!
Guide states......2WD is 6.7" and AWD is 4.7. No, I did not read that wrong.
Both are actually the same height, but the AWD drive has rear wheel suspension bits that hang down lower than the 2WD.

And another interesting tidbit.....Cargo volume is also slightly higher in the 2WD which is 24.3 cu ft seats up and 58.8 cu ft seats down. AWD is 23.2/ 57.2

Sound insulation:
Asked Frankie about if the LX will have the same insulation as the EX . She believes it will.

Price:
Still a secret.....but gave the same story we have been hearing ....20,000 to 26,000.

Short answers:
Lumbar support....No

Power outlet in trunk....No

Cargo cover.......wasn't one present, but thin groves on each side suggest the thin foldup ones we have been seeing in videos from other markets.

To be continued.......

·
Registered
39 Posts
A Biggie, Answered!

You answered one of my big questions. That would be what the ground clearance is for the 2WD. That 6.7" will definitely work. That's actually more than a 2WD CR-V (6.4"). :)

I wish you could have seen an LX in person to answer my biggest question. That would be is there cloth on the door panels?

Hopefully I can answer that myself very soon. I'm currently awaiting (3) LXs arriving at my local dealer any day now. They are supposed to be arriving between the 22nd thru the 27th.

I'll have my phone with me for pics. It should be (2)white LXs and (1)silver LX.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You answered one of my big questions. That would be what the ground clearance is for the 2WD. That 6.7" will definitely work. That's actually more than a 2WD CR-V (6.4"). :)

I wish you could have seen an LX in person to answer my biggest question. That would be is there cloth on the door panels?

Hopefully I can answer that myself very soon. I'm currently awaiting (3) LXs arriving at my local dealer any day now. They are supposed to be arriving between the 22nd thru the 27th.

I'll have my phone with me for pics. It should be (2)white LXs and (1)silver LX.
Showcase Honda is supposed the have white LX with black interior around the 12th of May. Looks like you have pictures for me to see before then. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hopefully

Looks like you have pictures for me to see before then. :)
I'm hoping so. I don't know if they will all come in at the same time or at different times or if they will even end up being here during the expected time frame.

I've followed the HR-V from the time it was conceived as the Urban SUV Concept. I'm very excited to finally get to see one in person.

I, like you, am leaning towards an LX model. It will fit my needs just fine. I'm hoping to see it any day now and will post pics of what I can get a snapshot of while I'm at the dealer. Any specific shots you'd like to see?

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm hoping so. I don't know if they will all come in at the same time or at different times or if they will even end up being here during the expected time frame.

I've followed the HR-V from the time it was conceived as the Urban SUV Concept. I'm very excited to finally get to see one in person.

I, like you, am leaning towards an LX model. It will fit my needs just fine. I'm hoping to see it any day now and will post pics of what I can get a snapshot of while I'm at the dealer. Any specific shots you'd like to see?
Hmmmm......maybe something showing the increased headroom of the LX, as difficult as that is to show in pictures.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Continuing....

Asked about Android support.....Honda Rep Frankie said no. Also no on a future firmware update. She did say Honda has been promising (something like the Pilot?) something other than the Apple compatible the HR-V has. She looked kind of exasperated with Honda when she said that.
She did confirm that Bluetooth will allow my windows based phone to work through the steering wheel controls.

To answer the question about how the seat height compares between the HR-V ,CR-V and the Fit:
Fit was definitely "fall into, climb out of" mode for me.
HR-V was more chair height so easy to step in and out of. The CR-V was similar, just slightly higher. The two feel pretty much the same ease wise.

Front doors open REALLY wide....almost 90 degrees. I liked that.

Ease of entry/ exit in the back was a little tighter, but it seemed not much different than a CX5. Door didn't open as wide as front did, but acceptable.

Interior:
Here, keep in mind I am used to the high ceilinged, big greenhouse, tall storage area of my Scion xB. So it would appear a little more shut in at first in the HR-V. But I soon appreciated how well out you can see out the front and back seat ( and back window in the rearview mirror). It also made me want the LX more for it's higher ceiling. Anxious to see how it is when I sit in one. The moon roof definitely takes a chunk out there. Probably won't bother others that drive traditional sedans and cars with "normal" ceiling heights.

Did a coke can test in the cup holder. Discovered tall cup mode doesn't let it move too much, so that works. Easy to grab while driving. Short mode would let it flop around enough to spill a full or nearly full can a bit.

Armrest basically has three detent positions....all the way forward, in the middle and all the way back. Forward position just about covers one cup holder.

I recall some reports that the leather seats were hard and it seemed that way to me too. But I really think they just need to get some use to soften up. Seemed almost like the seat cushion softened as I sat in it awhile.

"Flying bridge" center was pretty good:
At my preferred seat height, it was good place to rest my right hand and also close when shifting is required, Gave it kind of a sporty feel that way.

I noted that the passenger can see a couple of ports and easily reach them. More difficult for the driver, but as others have noted , it would be easy to grab the already plugged in cord to avoid the dangerous search for a port while driving.

Fortunately, I was able to play with the touchscreen when the car was pulled outside and left running . It appears that the climate control virtual buttons are well spaced so it might be easier to locate without distraction than I thought. It is placed high enough that your eyes don't have to glance far from your forward sightlines. I still prefer knobs, but not as bad as I thought it would be.

Back outside...
Discovered that the side mirrors still stick out more than optimal when folded (manually) "flat". Not sure if that feature helps much to protect them.

Tires were Michelin Primacy MXV4 215/55 R 17. I thought the stock wheels looked great, probably better on a lighter car. I think it is great that alloys are standard on the LX.

I asked Frankie about roof rails as an option on the EX. She wasn't sure, but thought they might be being that there are so many roof top options on the accessories list.

I liked the look of the lights. I just wished the lift gate portion was lit as well. It's only a nice reflector in that section.

They had a Subaru Crosstrek on one side and a Juke on the other for comparison. Didn't spend much time on them but found the back seat a joke on the Juke. (sounds funny, lol). The hatch opening on the Subaru was about 3" shorter and about 8" narrower. The larger opening of the HR-V is important to me.

Well that is all for now. I will be studying the Sales Training book to discover more interesting tidbits. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Not Bad

I'm not one for a black vehicle, but, that's not bad.
I'm seeming to like the HR-V in darker colors.
:)

I'm leaning toward the MODERN STEEL METALLIC as my first choice.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not one for a black vehicle, but, that's not bad.
I'm seeming to like the HR-V in darker colors.
:)

I'm leaning toward the MODERN STEEL METALLIC as my first choice.
Black was certainly a finger print magnet. Not my favorite color. I prefer more light colors, but they aren't "in" right now. :)

Tomorrow some interior shots...... :)

·
Registered
255 Posts
I don't think this is a topic that concerns you and that it has been discussed ad nauseam in other threads, but did you hear or see anything about tow capability at all?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Great stuff Bice. Glad you were able to get a lot of time with it and information! Ready to buy now? :D

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't think this is a topic that concerns you and that it has been discussed ad nauseam in other threads, but did you hear or see anything about tow capability at all?
On page 6 of the Sales Training Guide, The Model Comparison has a "dot" for the CR-V and no dot for the Fit and HR-V next to "Towing a Trailer".

Again on page 55, the "Performance Model Comparison" ,next to "Towing Capacity" says 1500 for the CR-V and "Not Recommended" for the HR-V and Fit.

Side note:
The HR-V and Fit can be towed behind a motorhome, but only the Manual Transmission model.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tested the "Refresh Mode" and didn't find it comfortable or refreshing. I had the seat all the way forward and it still left the seatback up a bit.......not like we saw on the Vezel where it tucked in next to the rear seat cushion.

Frankie said something very interesting. Honda decided not to tout refresh mode for the HR-V because passengers were traveling like that and the airbags can not offer their protection to an occupant in that seating position.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 119 Posts