Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is interesting to read about others problems, but I have owned my 2018 HRV for a year and the car has been perfect with no issues. I doubt I will have any problems, because I don't want them. The top issues people seem to bring up are 1) the CVT 2) water in the liftgate or tailights 3) LED upgrades 4) Phone/headunit problems, and oil changes. It seems like they take up 90% of our discussions.I have no issues with these, and do not worry about them...I can't imagine CVT issues....my transmission works flawlessly

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
The head unit felt like a huge upgrade back in 2016 when I bought my EX and I still think it's fine. Glad to not have a cvt! Don't see a need for brighter headlights (I've done upgrades on past cars)

I'm still happy as hell with this car at 85k

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
318 Posts
Reporting that your HRV has no problems is of no value at all.

Reporting that your HRV has no problems while indicating how many miles are on it, how long you have owned it, your driving style, your maintenance history, your geographical location, etc, etc.. Is much more useful...

·
Registered
318 Posts
Sure....My 2018 EX, AWD HRV us 14 months old with 8,000 miles on it. I have changed the oil once

Much more helpful!

You're lucky Dan. Not driving your HRV much, perhaps a secondary vehicle. That's why no issues.

Unfortunately, we are racking up the winter miles on our used HRV. 12, 000km/7000 miles in just a few months.
We did buy it for winter/skiing use and it is saving our other vehicles from winter miles,
but I still hate racking up the miles on any of our vehicles.

Reactions: SlowFosho

·
Banned
87 Posts
My 2018 EX HR-V has had no problems, and is a good SUV, but it is not perfect. The 4 most frequent problems seem to be the CVT (I think it was introduced before they had all the problems worked out), the battery is undersized (that one should have been corrected by Honda), water leaks (also poor quality control), and the push button start (Honda has taken the responsibility for that one, the expensive way). There are other small problems, but no car is flawless. Many complain about the engine being weak, but I would rather have that than engine problems.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Great to hear your HRV has had no problems but...

How many miles are on it? CVT or manual trans?

·
Banned
87 Posts
12,000 miles...it has a CVT....so did the CR-V that I had for 3 years before it.. No problems for 6 years on both. I do miss the CR-V's Earth Dream on it though.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Well no problems because you are not driving it! :)
Perhaps working at home because of Covid like many of us.
Our HRV has way less miles driven this winter than last year.

Not driving it much has benefits of course.
Way less maintenance costs, way less depreciation and you are spending way less in fuel.

We need some CVT HRV's with no problems with 150 000miles on them.
Which reminds me that the guy with CVT trans failure at 140 000miles never posted if his HRV engine uses any oil currently.

Edit: It actually did not have a CVT failure. Just lots of miles and he was wondering if he should keep it or trade it in.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Good memory Einz..
Combining the 2 threads makes things obvious.

I don't know why Hikendan was banned. I find this to be a friendly, non-technical, non-confrontational forum.
Not all forums are like this!

Not many forums allow a banned member to return with a new ID, I'm sure Hikendan/Cloudwalker will be fine in the future. :)

·
Registered
943 Posts
One thought I had on this whole thread. The CVT is not unique to the HRV, is it? Isn't it the same transmission used in the Civics for the previous decade before introduction into the HRV? There aren't a ton of Civic related complaints on it. So what is the difference? Just asking...

·
Registered
65 Posts
have a 2016 with 80k and the only big problem so far was the rear brake pads and rotors needed to be replace at 50k, this was due to rust causing the pads to freeze so the rotors had some strange patterns. Replaced myself with rotors and pads suggested by this forum. I have replaced the headlamps and interior lamps with LEDs and they made a difference. have been changing the CVT fluids at 30k intervals and seems to be doing well. Have not had to change the battery yet. I have drilled holes in my rear taillamps to not get water inside. The dealer replaced the first one under warranty and had water in the new one after two years so I drilled the holes into the very tip of the lamp assembly. I have all the parts needed to replace the head unit to get carplay.

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
315 Posts
This may or may not be of interest to you.

I've just checked on the UK forum I am a member of and in the Faults & Technical sub section there is only one thread out of approximately 280 directly related to CVT transmission issues (there may be more under a non CVT title). The issue concerned a judder or misfire, which appeared to have been resolved when the poster had their CVT transmission fluid changed. I have not seen anything posted about CVT failures.

The UK CVT engine and transmission configuration consists of either a 1.5 130bhp petrol or 1.6 120bhp diesel, both of which are front wheel drive - no AWD HR-V's are sold in Europe! CVT fluid changes are every 25k or 2 years whichever is reached first.

Apparently around 2013 the recommended CVT fluid change for the Jazz(Fit) was every 50k or 4 years but this was changed to every 25k or 2 years - no reason was given by the poster as to why the change.

HTH

HT

·
Registered
97 Posts
Reporting that your HRV has no problems is of no value at all.

Reporting that your HRV has no problems while indicating how many miles are on it, how long you have owned it, your driving style, your maintenance history, your geographical location, etc, etc.. Is much more useful...
I drive like a Wild man No problems😁

1 - 17 of 17 Posts