Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys! I need some advice. I just bought an EX HR-V and I am loving almost everything about the car. I am coming out of a 2012 Jetta which had a lot of reliability issues and am new to the Honda brand. Almost everything in the HR-V feels like an upgrade over the Jetta EXCEPT for the audio system. I thought my Jetta SE had a mediocre/ barely sufficient sounding system but the stereo in the HR-V is downright horrible even for a base system. My questions is can upgrading only the speakers significantly improve the sound system or would I need to install a subwoofer in addition to other things? I was hoping to keep the car completely stock because I don''t like messing with the original components of the vehicle the may potentially void the new car warranty but I don't think I can tolerate the horrible sound quality....you can't even adjust the midrange, only bass and treble..WTF!!!.....Also for those of you who actually own or been inside an HR-V, are those grills on the dash actually speakers or are they there just for looks?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Sound systems have always been a weak point on Hondas. I can't think of a Honda sound system that compares favorably to any of the competition. Fortunately the rest of the car usually overshadows the stereo (at least for me). Sound systems can be upgraded by aftermarket if desired, thankfully.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Good speakers helped me -

When I had to replace my radio in an Acura RSX I decided to upgrade the speakers. It made a big difference without having to spend big bucks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I hear there is no "true" equalizer on the HR-V. I have a 10' sub and new speakers that I would like to install on my potential new HR-V, but if I can not adjust the bass, treble, fade, etc. then I might have to reconsider this vehicle.

In order to completely revamp the audio system would I have to buy a new headset and basically forgo many of the features Honda has added to this new vehicle? It seems like Honda made it so you can not easily install a new audio system.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have to agree that the sound system (every part of it) is horrible sounding. I'm definitely going to be upgrading the speakers as well as adding an underseat sub. Depending on how much that improves the sound, I'll see about changing out the head unit.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I have to agree that the sound system (every part of it) is horrible sounding. I'm definitely going to be upgrading the speakers as well as adding an underseat sub. Depending on how much that improves the sound, I'll see about changing out the head unit.
Which trim level? I drove and listened to an EX-L and it sounded...well, better than my 2006 Civic...in part because the HRV is quieter.
I even plugged in an mp3 player and that sounded quiet good.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I have to agree that the sound system (every part of it) is horrible sounding.
Not sure which models your referring to with the "horrible sounding" audio.........:confused:

While it's not high-end home stereo audiophile fidelity I don't expect that in a vehicle either..........the (2) HR-V EX models we have sound pretty darn good IMHO with the stock 180-Watt 6 Speaker setup.

I can't complain and have no inclination to modify the existing setup.
Much better fidelity than our previous '11 Tucson or '13 RAV4 systems.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have the LX trim, but I also heard the EX's upgraded system as well. I bought the LX knowing that I was going to be upgrading the sound.

There isn't enough clarity in the high end, and the low end just simply doesn't exist. Low mids are also crap. My 2000 Volvo S70's stock setup was a lot better.

I'm no audiophile by any means, but I do like a balanced, full, and clear sound that works with the wide range of music I listen to.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My question is will I have to get a new headset just so I can adjust the bass/trebble/fade/etc?

If I do get a new headset will I loose out on the lane changing camera feature and everything else?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I went to crutchfield and this is what they are suggesting. A guy I work with has one in his Jeep so I'll check it out on Monday. Problem is, they want you to tap the wires, there's no harness. I think I will end up doing this but still recovering from the initial purchase. I love the head unit functionality and don't want to change it. If I add a little punch I think it will be fine.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_777B8P...72345&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=48387319825&awdv=c

·
Registered
4 Posts
Very interesting...

I may just have to go with this route.

It's really sad though and I must come to terms. I am not going to be able to fit/configure my 10" JL W7 in an HRV.
That puppy sure sounds sweet in my Jeep though!

·
Registered
54 Posts
i should be picking up my Hrv in a couple of weeks, Iam wondering how you can replace the stock head unit in the EX model. the stock screen is used for lots of features, like the cameras and some info. if you replace it with a aftermarket radio these features wont work. i wonder if the circuitry in the radio is needed by other systems in the car?
I want to get one of the new android auto radios when they come out but dont know whats involved with removing the stock unit:)

·
Registered
454 Posts
I went to crutchfield and this is what they are suggesting. A guy I work with has one in his Jeep so I'll check it out on Monday. Problem is, they want you to tap the wires, there's no harness. I think I will end up doing this but still recovering from the initial purchase. I love the head unit functionality and don't want to change it. If I add a little punch I think it will be fine.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_777B8P...72345&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=48387319825&awdv=c
Please let us know how it sounds....
Would be hard to compare though if not listening through the HR-V system.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I traded my 2010 Honda Civic for the HR-V, which had a pioneer receiver, 4 component speakers and 2 10" inch subs. I hate the sound of the HR-V. The receiver is the same one that is used in the new Honda Fits. They only give you the option of treble, bass, balance and fader. The speakers at full max aren't even loud, they actually start to sound like crap after level 30.

I will be upgrading the whole system. In case you don't have money for a whole system, you can buy an amp for the speakers that will control the treble, mids and bass with new speakers and a sub system in case you don't want to upgrade the receiver.

I'm not impressed with the sound at all.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i should be picking up my Hrv in a couple of weeks, Iam wondering how you can replace the stock head unit in the EX model. the stock screen is used for lots of features, like the cameras and some info. if you replace it with a aftermarket radio these features wont work. i wonder if the circuitry in the radio is needed by other systems in the car?
I want to get one of the new android auto radios when they come out but dont know whats involved with removing the stock unit

Unfortunately once you change receivers. Nothing from the Honda receiver will work, like the Honda camera on the right, or anything that is exclusive with its receiver. You will need a DIN kit for a new head unit. It's fairly easy to remove but I'm not sure if they have aftermarket kits just yet being its so new

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am in the same boat. I really don't like the Honda receiver sound, but would rather not change out everything. I have a nice JL Audio amp and sub (from my old Accord), but I think I may go with the underseat subwoofer to start out. If that sounds reasonably good, I will stick with it. If not, I will use it until the after market stuff starts coming out (adapters, harnesses etc.) and then leave the head unit in, but upgrade the speakers and add in my amp and sub.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Not sure which models your referring to with the "horrible sounding" audio.........:confused:

While it's not high-end home stereo audiophile fidelity I don't expect that in a vehicle either..........the (2) HR-V EX models we have sound pretty darn good IMHO with the stock 180-Watt 6 Speaker setup.

I can't complain and have no inclination to modify the existing setup.
Much better fidelity than our previous '11 Tucson or '13 RAV4 systems.
I have to agree. Perhaps it is my style of music, but I'm quite pleased with the sound in my EX.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I have to agree. Perhaps it is my style of music, but I'm quite pleased with the sound in my EX.
Thanks...

All depends on your type of music, volume levels, bass desires, and what your used to.
A previous post mentions component speakers with 2- 10" subs.....well of course this system isn't going to match that.....no surprise there.

If you blast your music or need glass rattling bass it's no surprise you need to look at other options.

I'm quit happy with the Honda OEM system and overall fidelity......if I need audiophile high fidelity, I'll listen to my home theater 7-1 500 watt system. ;)

Love to hear how the compact sub addition works with the stock system though.....my wife might be interested on her white HRV. :D

1 - 20 of 74 Posts