Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The dealer I've been in contact with and have a $500 deposit for an LX CVT 2WD with doesn't have one of the four color choices I want in that trim yet, and, from what I understand, none of the other dealers in the area do either (San Diego).

However, after a TrueCar.com inquiry, I got responses from LA dealers saying they have it.

I know just driving up and dealing with them directly is an option, but I like the dealer here in San Diego, as they promised me MSRP and I already have a deposit with them. Plus I like their discounts they have under program for service and parts for people who buy their new cars from them. I am more inclined to just sit and wait until they get the color I want rather than take back my deposit and drive 120 miles through LA traffic and back to try and get one early.

Here is my question, dealers: Some of you have been talking about dealers getting cars from other dealers that are "ordered". Do the dealers they get it from sell it to them for invoice, resulting in zero profit for them? Or do the receiving dealers have to pay a bit more than invoice for it, resulting in less profit for both dealers involved in the transaction than a normal sale to a consumer of cars already on their lot?

Basically what I'm asking is what the incentive is for dealers to go ahead and give other dealers what's on their lot. And can there be a way I can convince a dealer to somehow send it to another dealer 120 miles away with this incentive lol?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Tell your dealer "A" that the other dealer "B" has the car, and ask them to trade for it, because you would rather buy from dealer "A". Often times dealers will trade cars for exactly what you're talking about, a different color. It happens here on a regular basis, in fact we traded 3 cars on Weds here to other dealers who needed colors we had, for colors we needed. They don't HAVE to trade, so it's not a guarantee, but it's worth a try!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tell your dealer "A" that the other dealer "B" has the car, and ask them to trade for it, because you would rather buy from dealer "A". Often times dealers will trade cars for exactly what you're talking about, a different color. It happens here on a regular basis, in fact we traded 3 cars on Weds here to other dealers who needed colors we had, for colors we needed. They don't HAVE to trade, so it's not a guarantee, but it's worth a try!
Thanks Craig, that makes sense. Would dealers be willing to trade with other dealers 120 miles away?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts