Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ,

At 96kkm 3 months shy of 7 years , the Radiator fan does not turn anymore , good there is the AC Condenser fan , else it could have overheated. Found same part number replacement from Indonesia (<$100)and a little thicker though not the same wire placement. I made sure of the polarity and verified on bench - it rotates as the stock. I tried to open the motor - quite easy with 6 tab locks and found 2 of 4 carbon brushes tight inside their housing , pushed them out easily with a pin . The stuck brushes are still long . Planning on sanding the thickness and making it as a spare. Will solder a staple along only one of the copper wire braid slit so it will act as hard stop when the carbon wears out totally to indicator length and not allow the spring to become the carbon .

It looks like not only the HRV encounters this stuck carbon brush but also on the Honda City .

Attaching some pics.

noelmem5

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello ,

At 96kkm 3 months shy of 7 years , the Radiator fan does not turn anymore , good there is the AC Condenser fan , else it could have overheated. Found same part number replacement from Indonesia (<$100)and a little thicker though not the same wire placement. I made sure of the polarity and verified on bench - it rotates as the stock. I tried to open the motor - quite easy with 6 tab locks and found 2 of 4 carbon brushes tight inside their housing , pushed them out easily with a pin . The stuck brushes are still long . Planning on sanding the thickness and making it as a spare. Will solder a staple along only one of the copper wire braid slit so it will act as hard stop when the carbon wears out totally to indicator length and not allow the spring to become the carbon .

It looks like not only the HRV encounters this stuck carbon brush but also on the Honda City .

Attaching some pics.

noelmem5

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 HR-V EX AWD CVT
135 Posts
Shame you didn't investigate before purchasing the new motor. With the amount of brush material left after 7yrs/60,000 miles, I wouldn't think that you'd ever have to worry about them wearing out.
Curious to the purpose of the 2 copper coils on the brush plate. Any Idea?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Expecting the same thing as a colleague's Honda City Rad fan had exactly the same case - 2 brushes stuck as the spring could no longer push the stuck but partly worn brush .

The 2 coils are there for EMI filtering .

Yes , the fan could easily make it another 7 years unless the bearings wear or the chamber filled with copper and carbon grindings . Used compressed air to blow the chamber clean - lots of black dirt.

When I have time , I will check on the new 2 motors - make sure the brush housings are not tight and will solder a bridge at one brush cable's canal to act as hardstop when the wear indicator shows. I'll start with the new AC fan motor on hand.

Need to disconnect just 1 brush to stop the motor rotation .

noelmem5

1 - 5 of 5 Posts