Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I purchased a used 2017 HRV in October and it worked great for about a month or two. I started to noticed that the door locks (both fob and door panel) stopped working when it rained outside. This would happen intermittently and when driving in the rain the door would sound like its trying to lock and unlock repeatedly. Also, one or two times the "door is ajar" light also came on - in the rain - . My partner is an avid "Car Guy" and started to look into it. Oh yeah, by the way... the battery is also very corroded, so it was cleaned.

Fast forward to Xmas weekend, car is dead Monday morning. Great... There is a parasitic drain, figured it was the doors just doing their own thing and locking and unlocking all weekend which drained the battery.... my wonderful "Car Dude" did some diagnostic and sure enough the doors were doing a drain, pulled the door lock fuse and drove the car like we are in the 90s. "please make sure you lock your own doors everybody" A week later after new years : battery is dead again. Gosh.. Happy 2021.

Car Love Man took the car to work to play around with it all last week, Wednesday morning he went to the car in the AM and the alarm had been going off (probably all night, poor neighbors)... guess what, it was raining out!

Wonderful, the Car Babe, put pennies on the doors, (saw it in the forum) pulled out a random after market part that he found wired into the car (he has no idea what it is, he thinks maybe a low-jack) cleaned the battery again. etc etc, he comes home Last Thursday, "Yay, I am a Car God! I fixed it, I am a genius". Oh yeah, by the way... it did not rain, Wed - Friday. So the car is fixed!?

Nope, Rain came on Saturday, yay Seattle... Went out for a few hours, came home to a letter on my dashboard. "As**ole Fix You Car Alarm!" Alarm had been going off all day all day. Yay, I'm an awesome neighbor. Pulled the fuse for the horn. and it's been sitting on the street all weekend. Today is Monday, anyone want to wager on the battery being dead again? Gonna have the Car God take it to work again tomorrow. At some point I'm sure he will believe me that the only common denominator is the rain. He thinks it's just coincidence, UGH.

I have searched the forums, best i can tell is that water is getting into the trunk when it rains and the car thinks the door is coming open, causing door and alarm issues. I have searched to forums for help. Please any advice before I trade this car in?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Please any advice before I trade this car in?
Do you have a moonroof? If so I'd check the drain tubes. I'd also check the fuse panel under the dash for signs of water intrusion after it rains. Had a different car that leaked water from the windshield. It wasn't enough to get the carpet wet, but it did drip perfectly onto the BCM, which in that vehicle was mounted to the firewall in the front passenger footwell. When it rained, the BCM would get wet and/or the connectors going to the BCM and the fuse panel would suck in water due to the capillary effect of water on the wiring harnesses and cause all sorts of odd problems.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts