Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a rattle vibration noise when you give it throttle? When you accelerate you hear this very annoying rattle/vibration noise that doesn't go away. Every time you move it does this rattle, even at higher speeds. I looked under the car and there are lots of plates, heat shields. The sound can't be heard parked in the garage giving it throttle, you have to be moving, any thoughts.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Short of crawling underneath and wiggling a few things to possibly find the culprit, I agree, bring it to the dealer to fix.
Putting it on the lift would make it much easier to diagnose the issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes. Noticed it around 600 miles. Took it to the dealer and the exhaust resonator was bad. They said it was fine to drive until the part came in. Took about 4 days for the part to come in and they said 90 minutes to fix (I was there for 2 hours). I've only driven it about 100 miles since the repair, but the noise is gone.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I think I have a similar sound, which occurs only on transition from coasting to light throttle. It's difficult to describe, sort of a low growling noise, which could be a resonance or an intake tract sound, but it hasn't bothered me enough to investigate. The source of the sound seems to be dead center ahead of the firewall, but location of such a noise is notoriously difficult to pin down I'm currently on a trip, with ~1850 miles on the car, and it hasn't changed since day one — neither better nor worse.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Back from a long trip, nearly 3000 miles on the HR-V now, and the noise hasn't gone away. It occurs on very light throttle between 1500-2000 rpm, which makes a resonance seem likely, and it sounds like it's centered on the firewall. I just poked and prodded everywhere I could reach under the hood, and could find no likely candidate, but there is a fiber shield on the firewall. It is secured on the lower left (looking back) with a nut that I could hand tighten, and seemed to have a little bit of flex at the lower right corner. I tightened the nut with my fingers, then jammed a piece of foam between the brake lines and the fiber shield. Now to to out for a drive....

·
Registered
30 Posts
got something that sounds similar to what you are describing, selden, mine occurs right at 2k rpm, sounds like it coming from cvt changing pitch maybe....gets very noticeably louder at 2k rpm whether you coming from lower or higher rpms.....gonna take a new one for a test drive when the dealer close to me gets one in and compare when i can...related to this, after reading about how easy it is to remove door panels, think i gonna put some soundproofing in those and probably on the firewall as well....maybe help

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Just back from a short grocery trip. It's not the fiber shield on the firewall. I'm now 99% certain that this is a narrow range harmonic resonance, as it occurs exactly at 1500 RPM — not at 1400 not at 1600, and it happens on both acceleration and deceleration. Things like this can be a nightmare to track down, but having eliminated most of the possibilities in the upper engine compartment, the next step is to crawl under the car when it's cold to see if I can find any suspects.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I just got out from under the car, and I'm pretty certain that the problem is a heat shield resonance. There is a large heat shield, labeled T5R on the midline of the car, just aft of the engine. I stuffed some insulation between it and the pan of the car, and the noise seems to be reduced, although not entirely absent. I think I'll head to Home Depot tomorrow to pick up some foil faced fiberglass insulation, and experiment with putting it around the perimeter of one or more heat shields. This will preserve the air space that allows the heat shield to do its thing, but should damp the ability of the shield to start vibrating.

Update : I just finished stuffing small bits of fiberglass pipe wrap insulation in places between the heat shields and underbody where the metal seemed especially likely to vibrate. After a test drive, I'm reasonably sure that the noise has been substantially reduced, but not eliminated.

One other possibility (which I don't like to consider) is that there is something loose inside the catalytic converter. If it gets worse, I'll have a dealer look, but with the reduced noise, and the very narrow range (1500 ±50 RPM) at which occurs, it's just a minor annoyance.

·
Registered
30 Posts
actually got a call from the dealer that they had one in to drive, so tested it, no noise or vibration, salesman that sold me the hrv drove in mine, and immediately thought was an exhaust issue(he used to be honda mechanic) they think something got changed with the exhaust when the hitch was put on....gonna get it in next week

·
Registered
30 Posts
so went underneath and found out that my muffler was actually rubbing against the bolt for the hitch to the frame on that side, am guessing that is the culprit, pulled up instructions on the hitch installation, said nothing about having different muffler isolators....

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Yet another update: After some more miles today, the rattle is still there, possibly less frequent than before, but certainly not gone. The solutions appear to be 1) Avoid 1450-1550 RPM range as much as possible; 2) Turn up the volume on the sound system. It seems to be less noticeable when the engine is cold, which supports a theory of something in the exhaust system other than a heat shield. If the car weren't so quiet otherwise, I probably would never have noticed the sound.

I'll probably pull the fiberglass insulation before I take it in for its first service, which will probably be around December.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My car makes same noise but for some reason only in Drive and the noise stops when in Sport mode - taking it in today because it's annoying to hear this noise in a brand new vehicle

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
My car makes same noise but for some reason only in Drive and the noise stops when in Sport mode - taking it in today because it's annoying to hear this noise in a brand new vehicle
To test your hypothesis, I just went out for a short drive, turning off both the sound system and the HVAC fan. Drive and Sport change nothing, as the rattle is still there at 1500 rpm. The only difference is that as a CVT, in Drive mode the transmission can hold the engine to a constant 1500 rpm through a range of road speeds, whereas in Sport mode it's more likely go through the resonant frequency quickly. On a long shallow uphill grade, I found that I could provoke the rattle at slow speeds in 6th or 7th. In fact, if I floored the gas pedal the sound was even worse, since the transmission wouldn't downshift to get out of the resonant range.

The only conclusive cause-effect relationship I have observed is that when the engine is cold (blue light on), the rattle doesn't manifest itself. As soon as it warms up even slightly (even before the blue light goes off), the rattle begins around 1450-1550 rpm.

Since stuffing small amounts of sound deadening fiberglass batting around the perimeter of the heat shields (to prevent them from vibrating) did nothing, I am convinced that the vibration originates somewhere inside the exhaust system, which might be an expensive repair, and dealers may not address it unless they receive a TSB from Honda. I hope I'm wrong, and you can report back what the dealer did to "fix" the problem. I hope the dealer doesn't say "They all do that" or "I didn't hear anything."

After weeks of experiments, including crawling under the car a few times, I'm as stumped as I was back in August. Driven more aggressively, the noise is so transient that it's almost unnoticeable, but knowing that it's there, I want to do something about it.

·
Registered
929 Posts
After weeks of experiments, including crawling under the car a few times, I'm as stumped as I was back in August. Driven more aggressively, the noise is so transient that it's almost unnoticeable, but knowing that it's there, I want to do something about it.
This is a long long long shot, but back in the days I had a Renault R5 and once in a while, I could feel/hear a vibration noise that drove me CRAZY.
Turned out the License plate, which was only being held by the top 2 screws and not the bottom, would reach a resonant frequency and vibrate hitting the car sheet metal.

Just a long shot....

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
This is a long long long shot, but back in the days I had a Renault R5 and once in a while, I could feel/hear a vibration noise that drove me CRAZY.
Turned out the License plate, which was only being held by the top 2 screws and not the bottom, would reach a resonant frequency and vibrate hitting the car sheet metal.

Just a long shot....
Nope. The noise was there when I had a temporary paper plate, and when I mounted the permanent license plate (rear only required in Georgia), I slipped a thin sheet of closed cell foam between the back of the plate and the car (I have run into similar noises on other cars, so this is SOP). I have secured the plate with 4 fasteners.

It's definitely originating from the front half of the vehicle, probably in the engine compartment.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same noise that is mentioned in this forum. After taking it to the dealer in Huntsville, AL 3 times they said they could not hear it. It is driving my wife and I mad. I am pretty sure it is the thin exhaust heat shield. I will take the comments from this forum back to the dealer and see if they can fix it. Thanks for the comment about the exhaust resonator being bad.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I have the same noise that is mentioned in this forum. After taking it to the dealer in Huntsville, AL 3 times they said they could not hear it. It is driving my wife and I mad. I am pretty sure it is the thin exhaust heat shield. I will take the comments from this forum back to the dealer and see if they can fix it. Thanks for the comment about the exhaust resonator being bad.
I'm not surprised. I suggest that when you take the car back to the dealer, you drive it, with one of their people in the passenger seat. You know how to provoke the noise, and to hold it at an engine speed that will keep it happening long enough for them to hear it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Our new HRV-LXCVT has what sounds to be the same resonant vibration. It's especially bad from 20 to 40mph in eco mode. It reminds me of heat shields that were about to part company from older rusty cars I've owned. When it's really hammering I can actually feel it through the gas pedal.

Hugh

·
Registered
12 Posts
That's odd because I only hear the noise between 20- 35 MPHIL and it goes away completely if I change to sport mode? For some reason it only makes noise when lightly accelerating at lower rpm? Haven't taken it in to be checked yet.

1 - 20 of 136 Posts