Honda HR-V Forum banner

41 - 60 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
A nylon zip tie might work just as well, or a few turns of self-fusing rubber splicing tape around the connector and the bracket. The main thing is to immobilize the connector block so that it can't resonate, and it doesn't much matter what material is used, as long as it inhibits movement.

Looking down from the top this afternoon, I noticed that a nylon clip holds the O2 sensor cable to the firewall, and the run from the clamp to the connector has no slack.

How much slack exists between the clip and the connector is a variable that might explain why some HRVs have the buzz and some don't.
Thanks. So anything that impededs the bracket from resonating. Mine is at 1400 rpm
Like everyone else.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Bringing back the thread. Got my first service done today and had a look underneath the car with the tech. I can confirm that the offending 1500RPM rattle is the connector as shown in the previous page. Mine was extremely loose. I couple of wraps with some electrical tape fixed the problem.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Bringing back the thread. Got my first service done today and had a look underneath the car with the tech. I can confirm that the offending 1500RPM rattle is the connector as shown in the previous page. Mine was extremely loose. I couple of wraps with some electrical tape fixed the problem.
Thanks for the confirmation. Did you suggest this to the tech, or did they figure it out on their own?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for the confirmation. Did you suggest this to the tech, or did they figure it out on their own?
I kinda did but he agreed. Annoying as **** for sure. I didn't bother taking a closer on how to permanently fix it. Electrical tape is cheap.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I kinda did but he agreed. Annoying as **** for sure. I didn't bother taking a closer on how to permanently fix it. Electrical tape is cheap.
It's one of those things that you don't notice until you do, then getting rid of the noise turns into an obsession.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The Rattle

It's one of those things that you don't notice until you do, then getting rid of the noise turns into an obsession.
Yes! They taped mine up too. I heard a tiny noise yesterday and felt my shoulders bunch up to my ears in horror for fear it had returned. Hoping it was just the wind...:eek:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you Selden for the pictures, the noise has been driving my wife crazy. Even to the point of wanting to trade it in for a CR-V. I got under the car today and unbolted the bracket at both spots. The other spot you guys can't see in the pictures is where it bolts to the heat shield. Took some insulating foam that goes behind home outlet covers and put them between the heat shield and bolt and the bracket and body to give it a little cushion. Then did the same in the picture by using foam taped on the bracket with electral tape. Hopfully this will correct the issue and I don't have to hear about the sound anymore.

Razor

·
Registered
1 Posts
My HR-v has a very low grade hum when moving. As soon as I come to a full stop, the hum goes away. It is very low grade, but I can hear it and so can my Spouse. Anyone elase experience this? Could it be the new CVT transmission?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
My HR-v has a very low grade hum when moving. As soon as I come to a full stop, the hum goes away. It is very low grade, but I can hear it and so can my Spouse. Anyone elase experience this? Could it be the new CVT transmission?
IF it's the CVT, and IF your HR-V is very new, most people report that the CVT quiets down with miles. If the sound doesn't meet those criteria, make a service appointment with the dealer. "Low grade hum" is so generic that it could be almost anything.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi i just recently bought my HRV last week but reading all these comments im hopeing mine doesnt do none of that. Im at 200 miles bearly

·
Registered
929 Posts
Hi i just recently bought my HRV last week but reading all these comments im hopeing mine doesnt do none of that. Im at 200 miles bearly. Can somebody plz tell me that won't happen to mine
OK. It won't happen to you.:)

Seriously, just enjoy the car. Just realize that the forum is a mechanism for owners with problems to find and share solutions. So one of the reason for having a forum is to highlight problems. Loosing sight of that, you would think that the car, subject of the forum, is nothing but trouble, which is NOT the case.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
OK. It won't happen to you.:)

Seriously, just enjoy the car. Just realize that the forum is a mechanism for owners with problems to find and share solutions. So one of the reason for having a forum is to highlight problems. Loosing sight of that, you would think that the car, subject of the forum, is nothing but trouble, which is NOT the case.
This is hugely important: it's the nature of a forum like this to see a disproportionate number of problem reports/questions.

When I bought a used BMW R1100RT motorcycle in 2008, I was appalled at the number of reports of failed transmissions and final drives on motorcycles that cost as much as a small car. Eight years later and approaching 120,000 miles, its only significant failure has been a burned out headlight switch.

Ask questions, get answers (sometimes conflicting). ;)

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
How are you reading your tach that precisely?!??! :eek: Mine's so tiny...
Yes — although it assumes that the tach is accurate. In any case, the resonance occurs only with a 100 RPM range, which is a classic case of a harmonic resonance. Once you know where the problem is, a fix should take less than 15 minutes. It's fairly easy to immobilize the connector using some silicone rubber, without crawling under the car. It's not a high-heat location.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thank you the pics and the info Selden, I though I was the only one with the annoying noise, I was sure it came from the exhaust area, I'll be under the car tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Thank you the pics and the info Selden, I though I was the only one with the annoying noise, I was sure it came from the exhaust area, I'll be under the car tomorrow.
Been there, done that. If you are more than 5' 6" tall, you can fix it from the top, although it's a bit of a stretch. Possible ways to tighten things up:

1) Tape around the bracket and connector. Difficult to reach, and tape may work loose.
2) Zip tie around the bracket and connector. Again, difficult to reach, but a nice clean solution
3) Squeeze some silicone caulk around the bracket and connector. With a spout on a tube, this is the easiest approach for short people. Wear gloves, as it's almost impossible to wipe off excess without getting the goop all over yourself.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just came from under the car and was playing around with all the mentioned parts, I think the vibration comes from the connector being somewhat loose on the bracket, so I put some self-stick foam in between them, one piece on each and went for a short test drive and no noise so far. I would hate to spend two hours with the Honda people for such a simple fix. Selden I hope you don't mind for using your pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
From day one, my 2016 HR-V has had the same irritating low rpm rattling noise problem as reported above. I had it at the dealer last week to check out this issue (B4 reading this thread). They had it up on the rack, but could not find any issues. Went for a test drive with the mechanic and he heard it and agreed that I should have them thoroughly inspect the undercarriage issues at my next visit or 1st service. I will bring along these GREAT notes and then hopefully it gets resolved. Thanks Forum!

41 - 60 of 134 Posts